This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This is bull __it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is bull __it
    Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:06am
There was a bull sale south of Mandan yesterday that has been gaining publicity and notoriety over quite a few years now. It's an angus sale, so I didn't go. We was at a Gelbvieh sale. Any way, at this sale last year, they broke a record, selling a bull for 800,000 dollars. That's right; I didn't make a mistake on the zeros or anything. So speculation began early about how much the high selling bull would bring this year. Well, it out sold anyone's speculation. Y'all better sit down for this. Top selling bull at that sale this year brought"

$1,510,000! No bull chit. Honest as the day is long. That much for one critter that could die the next day. I can't even put the whole thing into perspective. That bull has to produce a lot of beef to re-coup that price. I guarantee he is not going out to the pasture to breed a handful of cows. Darrel
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:18am
These people are being sold that same bill of goods as to buying large properties, "will net your profit when you sell it", that works until does no longer 'Sell High'. Already seeing that in properties that did sell high dollar the proud owners were not making enough to make the payments so now go to sell and the prices are too low or dropped below value too far to get rid of them.

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:28am
I get my suspicions up when I hear and see these unheard of prices for prize animals.  We had a horse breeder that sold a colt for $10,000.00 back in the 70's, back then a bank wouldn't loan $10,000.00 on a new vehicle.  That same breeder bought a prize show horse about the same time.  I think there were 3 different people involved and not one dollar changed hands but everybody bragged about the high dollar prize horse they owned and had articles written about them.  Nowdays there is a better tracking system to see if the prize animal produces or not.
Maximum use of available resources!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:33am
I usedta work with the bulls, when the wye angus farm had their big sale, in the spring, this was back in the 80's.  They brought some big coin, even back then...
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:48am
My nephew posted a video of the sale on FB.  This was the caption; Today’s World record setting Lot #1 today at the 2019 SAV Angus Bull Sale. Brings $1,500,000.00, for 80% semen interest, and no possession.

That much and they don't even get the critter!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:56am
Not trying to start anything, but I think it goes you buy mine and then I will buy his and around and around and they just trade money.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:30am
At a price like that I would suspect that that critter has nads that drag in the dirt.  LOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:32pm
i'd hafta mount a milking machine on that thing!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

At a price like that I would suspect that that critter has nads that drag in the dirt.  LOL

Prolly has his own nut scratcher, fer that price!Wink

[TUBE]hoceqwDciBQ[/TUBE]
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I get my suspicions up when I hear and see these unheard of prices for prize animals.  We had a horse breeder that sold a colt for $10,000.00 back in the 70's, back then a bank wouldn't loan $10,000.00 on a new vehicle.  That same breeder bought a prize show horse about the same time.  I think there were 3 different people involved and not one dollar changed hands but everybody bragged about the high dollar prize horse they owned and had articles written about them.  Nowdays there is a better tracking system to see if the prize animal produces or not.
Back in that time my dad had a saying ............I will give 2 $2500 cats for your $5000 dog. Bragging rights for everyone. WinkWinkWinkWinkWink

But anyone know how many vials of semen the big AI outfits get from a bull, or how much a high dollar vial is in the beef world. I realize there are all kinds of overhead costs in the business but maybe not that far from what they make out of a really good bull. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:56pm
That's a lot of bull.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:31am
I wonder what the insurance on that bull costs?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:33am
I could see those prices if Angus beef was better than run of the mill crossbreed cattle but since it’s not it seems crazy.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I could see those prices if Angus beef was better than run of the mill crossbreed cattle but since it’s not it seems crazy.

You mean you cannot tell the difference, an your not buying the $10 Angus? Hope your  not buying that imported kangaroo burger. Wink (I couldn't resist my apologies to any down under) Hopefully the inspectors are not bought and paid for and letting Hoof and Mouth from Brazil with that JBS outfit that is a crooked as they come. 

Oh I cannot tell ether LOLLOLLOL I don't think I every ordered Angus unless maybe it was the special so the "cheap" one. The local auction guys started using the term "black hide" and doing all they could to discount anything elseAngry. So now I take mine to a different place.LOL

Holstein or Jersey all eat good if you get it fat. This grass feed ConfusedConfusedConfused well the "other white meat" ant so good ether until you get it fat as well.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:37am
If all my calves were raised to freezer beef, I would never mess with black.  Any more than anything else anyway.  In fact, I would do the opposite, get 2, or even better, 3 breeds crossed.  One of the breeds would be known for milk production, helps raise one heck of a calf.  Then I'd have 3 breed hybrid vigor!

Sadly, I think the freezer beef market is a thing of the past.   At least around here.  So having to put feeders on a truck to a mass market auction, don't have much choice but to get my calves as black as possible.  Latest bull is black head to toe top to bottom, and throws RED calves here and there.  Great looking calves, but oh no......Had a neighbor stop by over the summer and ask if I could provide 10 steers to top off his truck load.  Had to guarantee black, was a couple short, and when I sold lost out on 8 cents per pound.  Ridiculous!

My boss buys beef from me here and there.  He's a .....well.....a snob to put it nicely.  He heard me talking to another coworker that raises beef one day about my red calf.  He was all worried.  "Oh!  You don't have angus anymore???  When will those calves be beef age?"  I told him don't worry, you've been buying beef from that bull for 2 years now.  Did you notice???
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
An older soybean seed dealer I worked for back in the day also raised cattle on his farm. A customer of his owed him money and gave him a " 5000 dollar Angus bull " to pay his debt. This thing was the largest Angus I ever saw. Most of his cows had problems giving birth to those large calves. He was selling some steers and had some cattle jockeys going to haul a load to market for him. They were standing outside the fence waiting for Lou and one says to the other " Lou says he has a 5000 dollar bull out here " Where is it says the other one . Of course it was standing on the other side of the fence.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 11 Feb 2019 at 12:12pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:56pm
we used to have several different breeds here, black angus, charlais, and several cross's. always kept one out of the herd for butchering. one day dad came home with a big ole bull, was a cross of something...mean sucker! it would always charge the gates when we would take feed into the yards, one day (think I was about 13 at the time) that ole bull came charging for the gate and I got it turned then shot it in the nuts with my BB gun. we fixed fences for 3 days! dad had enough of that bull after we finally got it back in a pen. put it in the truck and was on the way to the Omaha stockyards when all of a sudden that thing went ape chit...the wood from the grain box on the truck exploded...and that thing jumped off the truck. never did find that bull! state police were even out that night looking for it with us, cuz if we had found it, we was gonna use their gun to shoot the darn thing! lol
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:26am
Take a mean bull and shoot it in the nuts.  Brilliant.  If I had done something like that, dad would have probably shot me in the nuts.

You need to make sure and have nice bulls around.  Like Wooly Bully shown here with my dad.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:54am
the thought was that if that bull found out it hurt to come close to the gate...it wouldn't do it no more! and dad never found out about that ordeal!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Mean bulls don't follow that kind of logic very well.

Few years back when we were TB testing, the bull didn't want to go into the chute.  He wasn't exactly mean (not the bull shown in the picture), but he just had an aura about him that said pay attention.  Anyway, he stood there and stood there and wouldn't proceed into the chute.  I reached out and gave him a prod shock in his left butt cheek.  That did NOT propel him forward.  You have never seen an animal that large spin around, come AT the direction of the prod, and completely level the 6 foot tall steel gates and go to the back of the pen.  The state vet looked at me calmly and said "Bulls don't respond to cattle prods very well."  I see that!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

the thought was that if that bull found out it hurt to come close to the gate...it wouldn't do it no more! and dad never found out about that ordeal!

I will suggest that you consult Tbone95 next time you have a thought before implementing it. Wink. Especially about turning on certain machines.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL I think you can turn it off without ever getting anybody upset.

My son bought us a Brangus bull that was one of the mean SOBs. We got him in the squeeze chute branded and vaccinated him. Kept him in the pipe corral that he never broke.Wink Needed to give a booster on the vaccine before turning him out. We spent a hour and he would not go in the lead up. The round pen before that is solid sided and over 6 feet high,so you can pinch them in the corner pretty good.Well I stab him and he came up . Who knows how much vaccine I got in I don't know, but we turned him out. Three months latter he is a little pecade, but after the last episode. As well as stress can push a critter over the edge if he has anaplasmosis that I had wanted him vaccinated for. But the SOB died anywayDead, I had so been looking forward to selling him for burger. But the son has learned LOLLOLLOL how to pick gentle ones since that bugger.  Now every bull is petable as the one pictured  here by Tbone95.Thumbs Up

Edited by Ray54 - 12 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:49pm
We had a mean bull too.  SOB almost kicked me in the head one day.  If I'd a had a knife, I'd a HAD his nuts,,,,,,,not shot him with no BB gun.  He's been gone for a long time, but I still hate his ,,,,,,,,,
BEST one we ever had was a black angus.  He could be led around with just your fingers around his ear.  BUT,,,,,,when that cow was coming in heat, GIT THE HADES OUTTTA his way!!!  He'd just drag ya along.  I got a couple of pictures of him giving my cousin kisses.  She STILL blows her top when I bring them out....
We had a cow that was MEAN!!! and I mean MEAN!!!  but that's another story.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:57pm
Back when I was very young, I saved my pennies up, and bought a 3 c cell prod...  One mornin the bull that had always chased us around, was a layin on top of the sh!t pile, wif his nads exposed...  Too tempting a target to not take advantage of.  Snuck up and zapped him...  I have thrown grenades, afore with less danger...

FFWD to age 18 or 20, I knew a little more, we hadda sneaky brangus bull, not mean, but liked to sneak up behind you, and snort, as if to say, I got YOU in MY sights!  He did it one time to me, I wheeled around, and kicked him, right in the nose!  he whimpered a little and run off.  My rule from what I learned in life, is never do anything behind their back, if they see its you doin it, they know not to do what it is they're doin, to P you off!Wink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:32pm
I was a bull rider in my younger days and have seen a mean one or two. The meanest I ever saw was a Brangus. He was rough on fences. When the bulls were in I had to feed them grain and alfalfa. I would unlock the gate and ram it with the old feed truck then quickly jump in the back to feed.usually once fed he was fine but one day he rammed the door of the truck. I finally got in the back and started feeding . As I cut the wires on the hay I was twisting them together and soon I had me a nice long poker. Right in the nads on the third try. He jumped the feed bunk and hit my dads prize Hereford right in the bit and flipped him end over end and busted the feed bunk. I didn’t tell dad the whole story but he sold him to a neighbor. As luck would have it I had to work for that neighbor quite often.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:49pm
one other day we (I) was loading cows in the truck, one wouldn't go up the chute, all the others was in thruck cept this one. went to the cab of the truck and got my zapper. had that heifer about to go in the chute, I zapped it, and when I woke up, was laying in soupy cow chit, an egg on my forehead, and my zapper was bent in about a 45 degree angle. but that cow was in the truck!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:53pm
Thad...I too rode one bull at a rodeo one night ona dare...I wouldn't have done that dare if'n I hadn't of had that beer first! the dude helping me was wrapping that rope around my hand...felt like he was trying to pinch my hand off! I think that was the longest 3 seconds of my life! whew!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Back when I was very young, I saved my pennies up, and bought a 3 c cell prod...  One mornin the bull that had always chased us around, was a layin on top of the sh!t pile, wif his nads exposed...  Too tempting a target to not take advantage of.  Snuck up and zapped him...  I have thrown grenades, afore with less danger...

FFWD to age 18 or 20, I knew a little more, we hadda sneaky brangus bull, not mean, but liked to sneak up behind you, and snort, as if to say, I got YOU in MY sights!  He did it one time to me, I wheeled around, and kicked him, right in the nose!  he whimpered a little and run off.  My rule from what I learned in life, is never do anything behind their back, if they see its you doin it, they know not to do what it is they're doin, to P you off!Wink
Very very true right there.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:22am
Mean cows......Don't get me started on our Simmental experiment! Shocked

Edited by Tbone95 - 13 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
Shameless, a bull ride is supposed to last 8 seconds. Not 3 seconds. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic