This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody up this early?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
Years ago we had to herd them. I used to help them catch birds on my grandparents pullet farm. We caught twice during each flock. Once to vaccinate, once to move to the hen farm. Back then we drove all the birds to the back of the house then strung a net across the width of the house. Then we all got another net a little wider then the house and walked so far into the birds until it looked about right. Then everybody spread out across the house and started walking and the net would drive them into the other net. Then we picked them up by the feet 4 or 5 at a time
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

How many chickens do you have to  load?  I'm not familiar with how the new big houses operate. Do you have to catch all those chickens by hand?  Don't suppose they would herd very well.

Just got finished. I don't have to load any. Pilgrims sends a crew with 3 to 4 trucks, two Moffitt lifts, and 6 to 7 catchers. I have to get things ready for them. Cut feed off at certain times, raise feeders at certain times, get everything up out of the catchers way. After they finish with a house I have to get rid of anything they leave. They're not supposed to take small birds or any with leg problems. We have 72,000 at this farm. The farm I'm starting on now will house 236,000. We'll have to shut this farm down due to age and location. When they catch they turn the lights off and the birds lay down. Then they walk through and pick them up and put them in cages that the lifts take off the truck and bring inside. Each cage consists of 10 coops. They usually put between 6,600 and 7,200 per trailer
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:37am
I'm up all night hauling snow with the dump truck, LOL.

It's minus 10*F here. Got all kinds of check engine and warning lights going with these crappy new emissions motors.
Took some great minds to figure on using a liquid that freezes in these emission systems and put heaters in them that can't keep up.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
     How many chickens do you have to  load?  I'm not familiar with how the new big houses operate. Do you have to catch all those chickens by hand?  Don't suppose they would herd very well.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:37am
Was up about 2:30 but not for long. Don't think I could handle those all-nighters any more,  done got too old. Used to fight house fires most of the night then go to regular job with little or no sleep. About 25 here this morning, somebody up north needs to close that darn door.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

About 44 here in mid Florida.

I'd be tickled to death with 44. But I suppose that's pretty cold for Floridians. Darrel
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:15am
About 44 here in mid Florida.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:03am
Hit 20 here at daylight. You boys must have some thick skin or some thick underwear to deal with that -8 crap.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:54am
     Woke up at 6:00 AM to a cool house; 60 degrees. Minus 8 degrees outside but fortunately no wind. We have a gas well on the farm so use that free gas except that once in a while when it gets colder than usual something in the gas co's distribution system shuts it off. Glad we didn't disconnect from the regular gas so all I have to do is open and close some valves and we have gas again. Waiting for the house to heat back up now. Does Shameless' machine have refrigeration capacity too? I'll bet it does and he isn't telling anyone. We got snow here in central Ohio Saturday night but before that freezing rain so there is a good coating of ice on everything now. No damage here except a couple of limbs broken off some white pines.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:53am
I think I'm the only one up, in the people's republic of MD. All the federal "workers" are either furloughed, or have the day off for the mlk holiday...Wink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:34am
I’ve been up for a bit. It’s aboyt 25 here and a little purdy left but not much.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:56am
Selling chickens tonight. Been up since about 730 yesterday morning and now having to sit here waiting for trucks to show up. You Canucks picked a fine time to leave the door open. 22 degrees right now. I know that's nothing to you northerners but us Georgia boys ain't made for this. Once the trucks show up I'll have about 7 hours to go then a shower, some food, and a nap. It might not happen in that order.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic