This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FTP 40 24 Forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FTP 40 24 Forklift
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 6:42pm
So, I just bought one. Runs and drives but needs a water pump and the brakes don't work. Are parts available through Agco still or does anyone have a good place for parts for these things?

My serial number is 8246114, can anyone tell me what year it is?

Engine plate says it is a Buda 4B 153, and while googling looking for a water pump I came up with a lot of results for Coop E3 and Cockshutt 30,40 and 50 tractors, I'm assuming they also used the same engine, are all parts interchangeable? Engine is painted orange and the guy I bought it off says they used the engines in some Allis tractors aswell, if so, which tractors?

Ended up I paid $1500 for it delivered to me, supposed to be here Tuesday. I think I did alright.
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
I suggest you try phoning a forklift repair place as they may give some leads on the water pump. To my knowledge the 4 cyl. Buda isn't in any tractor I know of but physically it looks a lot like the engine in a D14/D15 but has the distributor on the side of the block. It would be interesting to physically compare the water pumps to see if they look the same. Brake parts won't be a big deal as much of that stuff can be matched up at a place like O'Reilly's or ? in your area. So often when I've bought old forklifts they are low on brake fluid without any serious leak to speak of.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Dave7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:39pm
Ended up I got a water pump Monday, local tractor wrecker has a rebuilt pump in stock, forklift showed up today. Got the new pump on, found the alternator bracket was broke and the mounting tab on the alternator has the hole worn out so got to get a new front cover for the alternator. Get that fixed tomorrow and I can put the rad back in and be in buisiness.

Steering is real loose, it's one of those wierd ball and socket deals with the cups and spring where most of the play is, imagine that's easily fixed. Brakes also don't work but the master cylinder was empty, filled it up and they kind of pumped up, imagine it shouldn't be hard to fix and or bleed.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:29pm
Wow... you're making quick progress! I'm sure you'll really come to like your new toy in short order and that's a good price in your favor!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:31pm
Buda 4B153 is in the Cockshut30 tractor. I bought one to swap out my 'low compression' Buda 4bD153..diesel.didn't have the heart to pull the 30's engine and scrap the rest( great runner...) then ,well, you know 'othe rthings' came up.
brakes..kinda important...My FPD50  has split rims, well 'attached' to the brake drums...'fun' to remove as an entire 400# chunk. I made a 'tire carrier' similar to what drywall/brick/sod delivery trucks use. Hooks onto chain hoist on my overhead I-beam. It is the ONLY way I can get them off/on without literally busting my gut.
Odd thing is it doesn't have shoe adjusters from the outside! PITA top say the least. I guessed,installed and got great left brake, right is slower... Loss of fluid probably a leaky wheel cylinder, best to replace.To raise FL up,tilt  mast all way back,put 6by6 uner mast, tilt forward. That should raise FL off ground by 2". If you don't have a manual yet, try 'www.liberatedmanauls.com' The guy has 1,000s of neat mil stuff, LOTS of AC forklifts in there.
re:alternator...more 'fun'. I have to remove hyd pump to replace belt.If you do, buy a GREAT belt and be sure there's LOTS of adjustment for tension.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 5:26pm
Eric, got it all back together today after the surveyor left, runs like a champ now that I can run it without worry of overheating it. Then proceeded to run out of gas before I drove it out of the shop. Then ran the battery out of juice trying to get it cranked up again. So hopfully the good used battery I had as a spare is still good, it's on the charger now. Also got to rebuild the starter I guess, gotta hit it with a hammer every other time I go to start it.

Jay, this winter I'm going to have to pull the hyd pump too, crank pulley is worn right out. Adjustment is no problem, both the water pump and the alternater is adjustable the way mines set up.

Now with these split wheels, do I need to let all the air out before I take the wheels off so the wheels don't blow apart or how does that work? I also had no idea they were that heavy or are yours solid rubber tires? Mine are 7.50-12 on the front, air tires, no solid
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 9:57am
Nice find Dave, you have any pictures of it?  

Cheers

Harling
1965 AC FDX40-24
ohiobigdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohiobigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:46pm
i have a 1924 ftp 40-24c and i need a starter. it has propane for fuel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:49pm
Welcome to the forum! Do you have a starter at all? They are not hard to rebuild or repair. If you have a starter number off the tag (if you have a starter that is) it will make shopping for one a whole lot easier. A little TLC to an old starter goes a long way. Please let us know how you make out.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:00pm
As Eric mentions they are easy to get rebuilt.  I replaced mine with a new diesel model as the one I had was for a gas engine and did not have enough cranking power.  If you take your starter into any overhaul shop they can set you up with a good one.
1965 AC FDX40-24
Khart View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 8:58pm
Hello, I'm in search for parts and service literature for my A C FTP 40-2 4. Can anyone help me? I don't even know what year she is.
Thank you for any help/information and your time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic