This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how many of ya'll...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how many of ya'll...
    Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:21pm
cook with a dutch oven...aka cast iron pots? I gots a tater recipe if any ya'll wanna try it.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:01am
 Hey Good buddy,,,I've got a shore enough 10" Bean pot with the lid,,plus I gots,,a 14" dutch Oven I ain't used in years,,,,,up until bout 10 years ago I used to take both to our huntin trips and make a pot of "camp beans" in a hole in the ground like my Daddy taught me,,,,I used to could make some pretty decent camp bread in the dutch oven,,too,,
 Go ahead and post your tater recipe,,,most us old timers still like thet stuff,,,,ClapClap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Good buddy,,,I've got a shore enough 10" Bean pot with the lid,,plus I gots,,a 14" dutch Oven I ain't used in years,,,,,up until bout 10 years ago I used to take both to our huntin trips and make a pot of "camp beans" in a hole in the ground like my Daddy taught me,,,,I used to could make some pretty decent camp bread in the dutch oven,,too,,
 Go ahead and post your tater recipe,,,most us old timers still like thet stuff,,,,ClapClap

Some of us young’ens Like this stuff too. Please post the recipe. Yes I have a Dutch oven and we have a large collection of cast iron skillets
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:02pm
I've got a cast iron dutch oven and I like potatoes.  Post the recipe!!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:39pm
hmm, wife's dutch, neighbur's dutch ,best friend was dutch but my oven's an Amana !
it's busted though...
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:49pm
Shameless, somehow you posting about a dutch oven, well, one wouldn't think it would be about cookin'!Wink
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 1:51pm
Got a couple of dutch ovens and an assortment of cast iron skillets, nothing better for cooking. Post the recipe!!!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:23pm
Shoot yeah we love the Dutch oven over the fire. Cast iron skillet on charcoal makes some of the best cornbread you'll ever eat
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:13pm
I have a big assortment of cast iron and a Dutch oven,  all I use.  Don`t like the new stuff that is rough and already cured.  I picked up a couple of old Martin pans,  made in Florence, Alabama.  Neat to me cause my dad name was Martin and my mother`s name was Florence.  Yes to the tater recipe. 
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:59pm
Wife wanted to try some of the 'new' cast iron.  Mine is too black and shiny.  Like weiner says, the new stuff is all bumpy inside.  I don't like it at all.  I won't use it and she don't know how,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,she wasted $$$$???.
We're waiting Shameless,,,,,,,,,,it's been almost a whole day now....WHERE are ya??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:08pm
[TUBE]xjCCk-ewLYw[/TUBE]
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:14pm
Where do you come up with all that BS dave…? Darrel
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:23pm
I haven't done it since the youngest got out ta Boy Scouts, he's now in his 40's. Was darn good eating.
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:26pm
alright shameless enough is enough where is that dang recipe
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:21pm
It's been a day...............you better not be in the shop playing with your machine.  Ah oo you better not be sick again.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:00am
oh...i'm here, been working getting the fifth wheel ready, gonna take off tomarrow for anywhere! anyways...grab you sum big taters, I used russets on this recipe, cuts off the ends, enough to where that tater will stand up on end by itself. then slice downward peeling off the outer skin, don't worry about taking off more than like peeling them. (don't throw the skins and ends away)! when you gits them taters naked, cut them in half cross wise in the middle. you should have them the same height or pretty close. now...takes a paper towel and rub them taters all over, that takes a lot of the starch off them. then in that handy dandy cast iron pot, it should be heating up while yer cutting the taters. and you should throw a few 2-3 slices (or squirts) of any kind of butter ( I like the salted butter bestest) in there to melt down. make sure the bottom is all covered. place them taters down in there on ends. puts the lid on and cook them until the one end is golden brown. you'll need to check them often cuz it depends on what kinda fire yer working with. when they gits that golden brown end cooked on them, turn them over and sprinkle sum seasoning of your choice in on them, you know...sum salt, pepper, garlic, hot stuff if you desire ( I never use any cayan or hot seasonings in/on mine), then carefully pour sum chicken broth or chicken stock in around the taters, don't pour it over the top of them or you'll wash the seasonings off you just puts on them! it's o-k to let some of them seasonings fall down around them taters too. the chicky broth/stock should be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep around them taters. put the lid on, then cook them about 20 minutes. check on them, and if that stock or broth is low, pour in sum more. them taters should be sucking that broth up inside them. it usually takes about a normal size can of the broth to cook this. there won't be much left in the pot when them taters is done! while you is cooking these taters in the pot, take them skins and ends an throw on the griddle, cook them up in the butter of yer choice, til they are a golden brown on the inside tater side. they should be cooked on both sides too. when they are done, throw them off to the side to let cool. (keep them outta reach of the dog cuz they love them). they can be fridgerated or frozen for a later meal. (nuthin wasted) them taters in the pot is done when they fall apart when you pinch them with the tongs. cooking time is about an hour when the pot is on a grill. less if puts over/in a fire. DON'T BURN YOUR FINGERS on that pot lid! clean up is easy, let the pot cool, pour the remains over the fence in the neighbors garden, wipe out with paper towels, re-oil and dun! puts a paper towel on top between the pot and the lid and put away! enjoy! oh....and if ya wants sum good gravy for them taters. when the remains from cooking them is still in the pot, pour in sum "good" beer, not the whole bottle but nuff to make it bouts 1/2 inch deep, swish it around to mix it up (won't take long) til it's warm and it's ready to pour over them tender taters!     
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:09am
now...just cuz it was convenient I had my cast pot on the Camp Chef cast iron griddle. and that way I could cook the steaks and veggies at about the same time as the taters was cooking! doing it that way will take more time on them taters than if you had the pot in/on a stove top or any direct fire or on coals. that way I could sit my fat butt on a stool and stay in one place!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:26am
Did you make any black label gravy to go with them taters?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:49am
Thanks Dave, that’s what I was gettin’ at!!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:57am
   He won't fess up anyway,,,Thad,,,,,,,LOL

That is a great soundin recipe,,Shameless.  I do believe I'll give it a try,,,since I got an Elk hunt comin up next month,,,and the dutch oven is up at the place in the mountains,,,,Clap
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 3:17pm
You guys with mice liven in trailersWink and moving into your potsWink.......... is that part of sesoning the cast iron pot or can I LOLstart with a clean pot???????????LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:02pm
Ray Clap 
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Ray Clap 

Ray,,,!!!!,,,,ugh,,,,,I Hate them meecees to peecees,,,,,,!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 7:44pm
I recently spent a day wore brushing and sand blasting all our cast pots. Some Haden’s been used in years and needed a good cleaning. One skillet was a modern lodge brand with the rough cast y’all were talking about. I spent some time on the inside bottom with an orbital after the blasting. It came out slick and smooth after a good seasoning. I made a rod that runs under her new cabinets 11’ long. I’m forging “S” hooks to hang the skillets on that rod. Only the ones we use regularly stay in the oven or on the stove.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:46pm
Shameless, thanks for the recipe, I have it filed away for future reference. Cooked a london broil roast with mushfoom gravy in my cast iron for supper tonight along with mashed taters and butter beans, turned out good.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
Speaking of saving the skins and ends, when I worked for a steakhouse chain I would get some of the baked potatoes that had cooled too much to serve, take them home and refrigerate them then thick cut the skins off and fry them up for 'tater skins. Made a great snack with some good seasoning and sour cream. The inside of the bakes I would cut up and fry up for hash browns. Like you say - nothing wasted.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
Dang it Joe Angry now what is the name of the cat that hates the "meecees to peecees". I may not sleep till i member......................dang youLOL 

And if that other guy comes rolling in here I ant drinking an of his coffee ether. Cause time his pups get done licking him and his coffee maker he may forget to toss it.

Edited by Ray54 - 11 Sep 2018 at 11:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:05am
Thad and T bone....I said GOOD beer! that does NOT include black label!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Dang it Joe Angry now what is the name of the cat that hates the "meecees to peecees". I may not sleep till i member......................dang youLOL 

And if that other guy comes rolling in here I ant drinking an of his coffee ether. Cause time his pups get done licking him and his coffee maker he may forget to toss it.

[TUBE]PZGkYW4b5I0[/TUBE]
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:42am
 UMMmmmm,,,Ray,,,wasn't it ,,,,Mergatroid,,,??WinkLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic