This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3 Have I really done it this time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:32am
Oh Man were you lucky! Thank goodness you weren’t hurt as well as your tractor.

I almost lost my Bobcat Skidsteer a few years that way. Was out to the barn which has no running water when, while using a cut off wheel set off a grease fire in the belly pan.

Had a large extinguisher on hand and got it out but it was a crazy few minutes.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:03pm

My adjuster is stripped out, was this type of three point arm used on ag tractors?

HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:19pm
Looks similar to those used on 170/180 series, likely S IV ag lift arm adjuster.
kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 3:35pm
Take it off and wander down to a tractor place.  Probably easily replaced.  Guessing it is probably Cat 1 3 point stuff.  The idea of a crawler with a 3 point was always cool to me.  if I could put a 3 point and a 540 rpm live PTO on my HD-6, I would have a hillside flaiil mowing machine unlike any other.  Be able to mow up and down stuff no tractor could dare.  I think only International was the other company with 3 point's on the back of crawlers but I could be wrong.  But yes I suspect your adjuster is either common or a replacement can be readily adapted to work for you.  May have to play with bushings/spacers or drill a hole out here or there but it should be doable. 

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm
In years past, 3 point and PTO were more common on crawlers. John Deere, Terratrac/Case, Oliver, Hesston/Fiat were some of the others, along with IH and AC, that made crawlers with 3 point hitch and PTO in years past. Several machines, Oliver and JD, with the 3 point and PTO have been on the Maine Craigslist in the past year. Many foreign manufacturers made them as well and I believe some of them may still have the option.

You should be able to match something up for an adjuster.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 6:06pm
Are both ends of the toplink exactly the same?  If both are cat 1, then the farm stores likely will have 1.  Just make sure the length is right, IIRR, there are like 2 or 3 lengths you can get...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:20pm
Fiat/New Holland has new ag crawler tractors with 3 point.Popular for hillside vineyards,with more than one model. There were a few Lamborghini ,and Same crawlers as well as some other brands I never heard of.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:05am
I pulled it apart 
The male threads will clean up some but the female is toast.  I'll try hardware store nuts to see if the threads match and if so make a new bottom piece.
Or weld it all together.

I think a little dozer with hydraulic down pressure on a 3 point with a hydraulic auger would be trick for corner posts.

HD3
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:40pm
Glad your machine didn't get to really burning.  I was welding a rear view mirror bracket on my JCB skid steer loader when something started burning under the floor.  Found a spark started the greasy rubber cover of the foot throttle on fire.  Got it out ok but the cable housing was bad and had to spend a hundred bucks getting a new one, expensive lesson!
I've got a Hesston/Fiat 605 crawler with a 3 point and pto.  Never have used the pto but did pull a 3 point single shank subsoiler one time.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 4:14pm
I'm going to hold off welding until I drop the pan and clean out but I got this the next trip to the farm>

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 8:16am
Hey guys
I've changed my fuel filters and had leakage so I removed and tried to reinstall.  The gasket that was supplied with wix filter is too large I think.  It's rubbery and thin.
There are two filters but only first one leaking and I mean pouring out.
Has anybody changed theirs recently and had good luck with fitment of your seal.
This is the canister type.
Does anybody know how to search for and find gaskets by size, in or on a computer site?
thanks

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
Center bolt gasket 4048794
Center bolt 4048794
Body to head gasket 4048787

from my parts book

I cut a ugly thing from cork and tightened till it squeaked and wala..........

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 5:31pm
The local dealer couldn't help so I contacted Sandy Lake as they support this site but no filter parts.
Does anybody have one of these around they would part with?

This is the thru bolt of the filter
Does anybody know what kind of gasket or washer intended to go on it?

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 5:34pm
I've been downunder...........
I'll clean this out and finish my welding
The PO had routed two hydraulic lines improperly causing them to get cut so I can get some new and stop the mess 

Edited by NomoreJohnDeere - 02 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
HD3
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:29am
That happens,, using water on a fire like that with all the flamables around could've been bad! As in spread easliy
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:07pm
I found 1 1/4 inch nut with 7 threads per inch to fit the adjuster arm

It works now

Previous owners had made new brackets where the arms mount to machine.  They used a torch for the holes and they were sloppy loose.  I reamed them out more with the torch and installed some bushings so they would fit the cat 2 pins.

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:20pm
I got 2 new hoses to put on to fix the ones mentioned above.  Had to remove some others to get at them.
One wouldn't stop leaking at the fitting so I got the pipe wrench on it. Look what I did............

Flattened those threads out real good.
At least its easy to get to.

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 4:31pm
I heard a rumble and footsteps on the porch.......

Haven't found my serial number yet so I don't know if they are the correct ones 

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by kblackav8or kblackav8or wrote:

Take it off and wander down to a tractor place.  Probably easily replaced.  Guessing it is probably Cat 1 3 point stuff.  The idea of a crawler with a 3 point was always cool to me.  if I could put a 3 point and a 540 rpm live PTO on my HD-6, I would have a hillside flaiil mowing machine unlike any other.  Be able to mow up and down stuff no tractor could dare.  I think only International was the other company with 3 point's on the back of crawlers but I could be wrong.  But yes I suspect your adjuster is either common or a replacement can be readily adapted to work for you.  May have to play with bushings/spacers or drill a hole out here or there but it should be doable. 

Consider a hydraulic drive sickle mower or flail, no need to wait to find a pto ?
HD3
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:32pm
Re "I think only International was the other company with 3 point's on the back of crawlers but I could be wrong. "

The Fiat Agricultural series had both.  They are in demand here in Oz for hilly hobby farms, as they are and have still have spares backing.

IIRC you folk saw some via Hesston
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:22am
I had a 1010 John Deere with 3 point.  A PO had torched the pto shaft internally to do a repair without removing so much stuff.
Here's the original nomorejohndeere
Don't walk......run

HD3
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Re "I think only International was the other company with 3 point's on the back of crawlers but I could be wrong. "

The Fiat Agricultural series had both.  They are in demand here in Oz for hilly hobby farms, as they are and have still have spares backing.

IIRC you folk saw some via Hesston

The Fait Ag crawler is very popular with the winos here.But in USA it is blue with New Holland decals.A friend has one after using old IH T6 and TD 6 . He was having trouble finding new engine parts for the TD 6 gas start,so finally bought a Fiat. Has 2000+ hours and is not impressed,tries to find others to drive it. Has gotten more old TD6's gathered for parts. And is back to using a TD 6 for most of what me does. 
ACJohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:59pm
That's one heck of a ripper!  I'd like to see that in action.  Do the shanks remain vertical as it is lifted or do they swing in an arc?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:37pm
They are homemade and simply stored in there upside down.
I am going to try them out this winter and see what they do.

I'm not sure on the shape what they are good for nor do I know if all of them could be used at once.

They stay as vertical as the 3 point allows

There is so much rock in/on the ground around here I'm sure I can break one off without trying too hard.  

I guess that's why they named it Stone County..........

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 12:59am

I drained the oil out since I have the belly pan off.  
According to this I need about 15 gallons of oil to refill the various compartments.
They all call for 10w-30 oil.
I'm assuming motor oil?
It makes no mention of hydraulic vs engine oil in description.
Am I on track?

HD3
skyboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:09am
I'm jealousClap!!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 8:02pm
I need new eyes, yikes, what a mess
Good news is it didn't leak when I powered up.

I got a question for the experienced
I need to remove a track and have located a pin that is different from the rest as it has a hole in one end of it.
I'm assuming it is the master pin?
My question is what direction does it come out?  Driving the hole side out or hole side  through the rail?

HD3
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 11:38am
I am asking if the pin is straight or tapered to fit, so I can beat on it any direction?

I removed guard from front sprocket and found this:

Anybody have a front sprocket with good internals?

HD3
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm
I would think the master pin is straight, and could go out either direction.
 That front idler may have a bushing in it that can be replaced. If it doesn't, it could be bored out to take a bushing.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 11:39am
I've soaked the pin with juice and smacked around on it a bit but no dice yet.
Chained a ten ton jack up against the pin and stalled it with no luck.
Removed the pad on the master link for better access.

I'm thinking about cobbling up a mount and using the rear 3 pt. hydraulic cylinder to push on it.........

For those with manual fuel shut off........
I started it up and it was running rough as in missing.  Freaked me out for a minute.
I put my finger on the fuel shut off lever on the pump and it wasn't in "run" position all the way.  It was only off a little bitty bit.
Made all the difference, purrs well again.
I'll add a spring to the rod to keep that from happening.

HD3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic