This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

woods wheel replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: woods wheel replacement?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:22pm
Has anyone used anything besides a woods oem replacement wheel on a L59 mower deck?  I have a deck coming that needs wheels but at $70.00+ a wheel I may just use the deck as a parts deck.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:27pm
I bought mine from woods after 20 years there still good. Got to rember to grease them. The original woods wheels are solid rubber tires. I don't see how they could wear out .
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:37pm
Harbor freight sells a solid rubber tire  8 inch diameter, 2.3 inches wide and has a 5/8 inch shaft..... Cost is $8.00 ........ I just bought a set for a cart... appear to be about the same as the WOODS, but I have not measure that lately.   I normally run my WOODS with the wheels 1/2 inch off the ground. Deck hanging on the chains. Tires only hit when you go over a bump, etc.... saves a LOT of miles on the tire/ wheel bearing wear.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:43am
I have been running those harbor freight wheels this summer on my 6' Kioti finish mower on the WD45. So far so good. All 4 on the ground while mowing. 5/8 bolt for shaft.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:09am
Mike, I've tried all those suggestions and none of them worked for chit.  Where did you get the price on your parts?  I replaced the wheels on my L306 last year (maybe two years ago,,,,,,,you know how my memory is....) anyway,,,,,I never paid anywhere near that much for mine.  Got em at St. Joes.  I'll see if I can find the receipt. 

(Put you on hold......for 12 minutes......)  Found it,,,,,,,,
From August 30, 2014.....3 years ago.
1   WDS   1008096        WHL, SOLID      UR2078      $34.19    + tax $1.88

608-787-6054

I know someone on here put some extra wide ones on theirs to make it more stable.  Don't remember where I read that.  I'll see if I can find it for ya....

Edited by Ted J - 19 Oct 2017 at 7:10am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 5:59pm
Ted the prices were online. I will check with St Joes when I pick it up next weekend with attached tractor.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
I wish there was an aftermarket wheel that had ball bearings rather than sleeve bearings.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
Ted in NE-OH Why couldn’t you use snap hitch cultivator wheels? I have one of the newer snap hitch cultivators that has sealed bearings in the little wheels
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
I gave away a few sets with ball bearings a couple years back like the one on the back side in this picture. I have never beefed up the wheel or built a new mold to make a flat wider tread like I planed. This is the third year on that wheel and still going strong. It is my eight inch diameter two inch wide soft roll wheel and tire I make for bariatric wheelchairs for people weighing up to 800 pounds. Also on electric wheelchairs and scooters.
I most likely will never put them on the market at this point in my life.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Ted in NE-OH Ted in NE-OH wrote:

I wish there was an aftermarket wheel that had ball bearings rather than sleeve bearings.

Most all of HF's wheels have ball bearings, Wish they had oilite bushings.  I just went through this with a Bush Hog RDTH 5' 3 blade mower I got recently. Has 410/350 X 4 10 inch diameter tube type tires on it.  The OEM wheels have a 3/4" bushing, with a 1/2 bolt running through it.  HF airless have 5/8 center BB's on them.  Simple, just swap out the bushings fer the bearings, right?  Nope, OD of the HF bearing hub is smaller than the OEM bushing. tough sh!t charlie's has the right BB, but inly 1, in the drawer, at each store, and they never re-stock, and it costs about 4 bucks/BB...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic