This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 foot single disc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 foot single disc
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:48am
   Back in the day, in the 1940's, Dad had an Allis-Chalmers single disc that we pulled with a WC. When you had to go through a gate, you pulled a pin at the rear of the tongue and one gang moved around behind the other one. After you got through the gate,  you had to move the gang back into position and put the pin back in. It was a simple system, but it worked.
   We lapped on each round, steering the tractor front wheels right along the edge of the last round. That is how we double disced.
Does anyone have an operator's manual for this disc, that you could post a picture of the cover? It had one gang on each angle.
    There was also a 15 foot disc wth 2 gangs on each angle, but you farmed with what you had. In fall-plowed sod, the 12 foot disc was a good load for the WC.
   It seemed like we spelled it disk, or is that just my memory as a kid?
Sorry for the long post, but some of our younger members may like to hear how we did it long ago.

Sponsored Links

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:04pm
Dean,

I think I have some sales literature and a manual for one of these discs. I also have one of these discs.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:29pm
The 40's and 50's were pretty much before tandem discs, only ours was a 15 ft JD with the folding wings and transported on the road with 2 dolly type wheels that lifted it up and was about 10 ft wide for transport. If you needed weight concrete blocks were a perfect fit for the disc frame. We had some guy come by every 2/3 years with a roller device to put an edge back on the blades. Double discing was pretty much the norm and kept the ridging down. WC's & WD's would pull it but was a load in plowed ground. Those who remember or grew up in those days are becoming fewer. I can't even count how many trips over the ground it took from tillage to harvest?
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
We had I think an 11 foot JD, lots of double discing, then got an IH tandem but was so light it wasn't  much better.  Pulled with WD or WC.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 2:44pm
You've gotta show it to me Jim when I come down.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:17pm
I always spelled it disk, too. Not sure if it's disk or disc. 
I recently got a 8' disk for my WC. It's a drag tandem disk with no transport wheels, and the front have can be easily unhooked from the rear, so I imagine I can use half of it as a single disk with my B! Lol
Roger (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 5:35pm
I know this is not the classified section of the forum but I have one of the 15 foot Allis disks that I would sell if someone wants it to go with their WC.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
It's a "C"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic