This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:43pm
I love the white wheels. The two tone makes them look tougher somehow.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:46pm
Folks,
Good evening.

Made a mistake on the hood that may require repainting. I added the stiffener underneath and it was hitting the tank. When I cut it off, the paint got hot and left 3 dime size marks in front of the gas tank, in the center of the hood.

Fenders in primer/sealer

Hood ( this is the one that was smashed up pretty bad).

Some pictures, sans fenders and hood.

WD narrow front end and its stable mate re-joined.

Will get some more hardener for the top coat and repaint the hood.
Also cleaning up some milk cans, with implement seats, and going to paint them PO#1 for the July Sagertown PA show.
Purchased a seat cushion from Sandy Lake and I like it better than the one on the other tractor.  Some more pictures tomorrow.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2015 at 8:51pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:41am
Awesome. Sounds like progress that is nearing completion!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:15am
Guys thanks!
We have been leveling body panels this weekend, and the final orange has been applied to all items except for the egg tail light. ( I have to get one from another tractor).

Rolled this tractor out of the garage and I attempted to start this WD Friday night.
Had coolant leak at water pump hose. Finally double clamped it and it slowed it down.
Gas leaks at both ends of the new fuel line. Tightened those.
Gas leak at the sediment bowl. Finally took out the screen and trimmed it down so the glass bowl fit against the rubber seal. Then we had a leak free system at that end. Carb tried to flood as normal. So shutting the gas off has become standard practice. Just like in the old days!:)
Minor oil leak at front of pan area. Tightened the pan bolts gently.
Adjusted the fan belt.
So hit the starter and she spun over fast! In fact the starter was slamming so hard I afraid it was going to damage something! Tightened the started set screw.
No action. Started to immediately second guess what I could have done wrong in the assembly! Check, double check. Everything looks good. Had gas running out drain in carb. cleaned plugs.
Seemed to be electrical. Had the cap off and rolled it over and no spark across the points. Called Gary G. and he suggested cleaning the points. I sanded them with some 400 grit and cleaned them. Checked again had a nice spark. Replaced the cover, rotor, cap and hit the starter. She fire up on the first quarter turn!
Oil pressure is good. Water temp comes up to normal.
Sat**day I took the WD for its first spin around the yard. First impressions were very good. Nice tight steering. Very responsive throttle. Idles down nice. Very little rear end whine compared to my other WD (wide front end).
Adjusted the foot clutch to allow the drive line to stop turning.
I have some pictures and will get them loaded soon.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Sep 2020 at 5:41am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Nope its not a high end show tractor, still has some dings dents pits and flaws.

Uh... Chris... I hate to break it to 'ya, but that IS a high-end show tractor... if it was devoid of any dings, dents, and flaws, it would be without soul.

Excellent work, my friend! I wish I could manage to do have as well...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 9:14am
Fantastic work, Chris.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 7:35am
Oooppps!

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2015 at 7:50am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 7:32am
Folks,
Good Morning.
Have been neglecting most of my other duties to spend time and money on this WD project.

Rolled out of the garage for first time in a couple years!

Distributor in place.

PTO box mounted.

Hitch mounted. Hyd. cylinders in place

Quadrant and steering complete.

Trial fit of sheet metal.

Filled in the shutter hole and several other holes we are not going to discuss right now.

Wiring roughed out.

Headlights in place.

Custom brackets for alternator made and fit up.

Dash completed.

Tank and air cleaner in position to bend new gas line.

Body work

Leveled some dents in the tank.

Some orange top coat.

Yea we do bleed ORANGE too!:)

Fit up of rad and shell.

Air cleaner and gas tank in place.

Filled all oils. Need to fill the radiator.
The fenders and the hood and the rear tail light will be the final pieces of the 3D WD puzzle:) Thanks for following.
Nope its not a high end show tractor, still has some dings dents pits and flaws.

Hope things are good in ORANGE land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2015 at 7:47am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:14am
Folks,
 Good morning.

The WD project moves along.

Orange wind chimes

Radiator: The nuts had been replaced , but were shot again. This old repair was not going to cut it.

Carefully cut out the old rusty steel.

New support steel gets fit up.

Then welded in place.

Need to solder in new filler tube. Should be ready to go.

Left frame rail attached. Front end is in moved into place.

As of last night, have a rolling chassis. Lots of finish details.
Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 May 2015 at 6:18am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:08pm
Folks,
Wrapping it up for the day. All of the parts that were in primer are now orange! If the hardener kicks in, some assembly may happen this weekend. I was too busy to get any pictures but it looked like orange wind chimes hanging from the garage gutters. Flipped the frame rails and applied a coat of orange. So it looks like a gallon of paint will cover one and a half tractors.
Regards,
 Chris
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:17am
That is a stop bolt.It is part of traction booster system.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:58am
Thanks guys!
Good morning! The weather is still cool, It may get into the mid 60's today. Sun is shining and not much humidity. So today may be the day to drag all the primed parts out into the sun let them warm and then put some Persian Orange on top of them! Not having a dedicated paint booth means a little more work moving stuff around.
I will try to get some pictures to share.
Clean up of small parts seems to take the most time on these restorations.
Hope things are good in Orange land as spring is the time a lot of folks are working fields and planting crops.

i really have to consider some type of a structure to hold all these tractors. Any suggestions?

Here is my newest helper. (Lucy) Mostly flitting around and chewing on the top of the lap top screen. As cats go she is a real sweet heart.

Granddaughter Addi likes her too!

Regards,
 Chris

jonny2guns4u View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny2guns4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 7:56am
I look forward to seeing it finished. I have been lurking this thread since it started. Keep up the good work. there is nothing like restoring old Family Iron. 
Jonny2guns4u

"I won't be wronged... I won't be insulted... I won't be layed a hand on... I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." -J.B.Books (AKA)John Wayne

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:27pm
I am so enjoying seeing your restoration Chris! Thanks for sharing.
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:15pm
Chris, You're really making some serious progress.  I've gotten lazy compared with you.  Thanks for sharing such great pics and commentary. 
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:49pm
Folks,
 Good evening.
Painted primer on about 75 of the parts for the Allis today. Lots of parts on one of these tractors. Most had to be painted in the garage as the wind was strong and temps were in the low 60's.
 Need to get the radiator out and take a look at what it needs for repairs.
Also picked up the two new hydraulic hoses from NAPA.
Still some items are still missing. Need tail light, bracket for the PTO rod, bracket for the wiring to go to the alternator.
Hope things are good out there!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:24pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 7:24am
Folks,
 Good morning. 42 degrees here in Albion! Will be another garage day I guess.
Thanks for viewing and reading about the old WD project. My pictures are not the prettiest. My shop is not the cleanest. If I waited till every thing was perfect I would never get anything done:)! I post a lot of pictures, maybe one will help someone working one one of these tractors? I know this thread is VERY picture heavy. Just trying to keep the information in one place.

Here is the dash after a bath, some scrubbing, and the extra holes welded up. The 3/4 hole is for the key switch the small one is for the light switch toggle.

I skim coated these rusty fender supports because they really show on the tractor. Also sanded the edges smooth.

Some primer

Brought the front pedestal in the shop a few days ago. Had a leak where the plate bolts on to the casting.

I need to remember to put this bracket back on!:)

Made new cork gaskets to tighten up this seal area.

Cleaning with paint stripper and coarse wire brush on 4-1/2 inch grinder.

The 1 inch steering rod was worn at the support.

After some attention with the MIG and grinders.

Hyd cylinders waiting for cleaning.

New TSC muffler needed some tuning to fit. Also the inside of the manifold was opened slightly.

Draft control diss-assembly for cleaning. (This is bad view at your own risk:))

This was pretty nasty after 60 years of farming!

I was ready to cut this cross bar off. As I was sure Jack had welded it on. (My other WD does not have this cross bar.) Turns out this cross bar is factory. I had to remove the stud from the fork to allow the fork to be removed. The blue tip was needed to heat the fork and vice grips to turn out the stud. Also the welded adjuster seems to be factory too. Any clues on how that is to be used? Looks like a adjustable stop lock bolt.

The Hyd pump after overhaul and clean up.

Gave the starter and the hubs a good scrubbing.

PTO box was next. This had been setting for a couple years but went back to gather OK. I stole the seal and Speedy sleeve (for the output shaft) during the last tractor build. So I need to order those items. Also the shims for the PTO cover will need replaced. A call to Sandy Lake should have those on their way.

Off to change some parts in the E-tank (electrolysis)
Hope things are good in Orangeville! Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 May 2015 at 7:38am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:33pm
Folks,
 Good evening!
I usually have all these grandiose plans for the day on how I need to get ten things done. Well it just doesn't seem to work that way!
Weather turned wet and cold, so today was a garage day.
 Started on the repairs for the WD hydraulic pump this morning. Lots of cleaning. Dis assembly wasn't bad. I replaced, two seals, 7 o-rings, and three gaskets. With only one call to Bill at Sandy Lake. I had not been into one of these this far and the information and parts list from Sandy Lake helped. Several worn items repaired as I went.  Hoping to get as many oil leaks reduced as possible. Will try to take a finished picture. I want to get this pump in place before the right frame rail goes on.

Also thought I had a problem with the draft structure only to find out it is different that the one on the last tractor. Has a extra bar welded across it.

( We have a new helper, a brindle kitten about 6 weeks old. Her name is Lucy, and she pretty much has us wrapped around her little paw! She is helping by climbing on the screen of the lap top)

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by hd1937 hd1937 wrote:

Hey Chris,
What ever made you decide to buy this tractor and start this restoration?

Jim,
Good to hear from you! We have to get your doodlebug going!
Folks,
I was really on the fence on getting a big tractor project, and it took Jim to convinced me I needed to get this WD family tractor! Sure glad I did at this point.
Regards,
 Chris
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:32pm
Hey Chris,
What ever made you decide to buy this tractor and start this restoration?

Edited by hd1937 - 18 May 2015 at 3:33pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:25pm
Gary,
 I believe this hub will work. Thanks!
Primed parts today. Side rails and fender plates are ready for top coat!
Regards,
 Chris
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:58am
Chris,

If things don't work out with the hub, I still have the WC I'm parting and can cut you a helluva deal on parts!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:28am
Folks,
 Jay, Gary, Thanks!
 Good Morning!
Up date on the WD project.

Here is a shot of the color problem. What I am going to do is paint the battery box to match the rest of the tractor. No big deal. I checked both the old and new cans of orange and they are the same. I found that in the natural sun light the color is not to far off but under the cool blue florescent light there is a big difference.

Frame rails getting sanitized. These have had spots filled sanded and are ready for primer and finish paint.

Some misc parts in primer.

Pulled the front pedestal into the shop for a look. Found the easiest way to work on this was to turn it upside down. Need to open it where the steering shaft goes in and put in new seal and or gaskets to stop that leak.

Some time during its life on my Uncle Jacks farm this wheel must have come loose and wore out the holes for the lug nuts. Smiple solution, weld around each lug nut to secure the wheel!! Well I wanted to save this hub, so it needed to come apart. I cut the heads of the lug nuts off. gouging into the rim.  I removed the hub and (after reading it on one of the forums), laid a washer over each stud that was protruding about 1/16 inch. Mig welded this washer to the stud. Then welded a hex nut to that washer. The heat loosened the joint and the air impact buzzed out the studs.

Rim is junk.

Starter to be cleaned.

Allis inspectors (Gary and Rick G) were by today and checked my progress. I got the approval to keep going! Whew that was close!:)

Regards,
 Chris

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:15am
Keep up the good work, buddy! I continue to be impressed. You are an inspiration to us all. I will be painting my WD 45 this summer. Thanks for the motivation!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:23am
Don't feel bad, Chris.  It's going to be 66ยบ and rainy in central Oklahoma, today.  Not very good weather for curing paint.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:50am
Folks,
 Good morning!
Found that I have a color mismatch between the frame and a battery box and tool box purchased that have PO#1 on them. Frame has more red tint. Maybe the darker primer I used? It had a very light green tint to it. Maybe I did not stir the paint well enough when I used it on the other tractor and there was some pigments I stirred up in the bottom?
Hoping I can get the finished tractor to look halfway decent. More on this as we progress into more parts, then move to the sheet metal.
Weather has turned too cold to paint! Temp was about 42 this morning.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:23pm
Steve (HN),
 I think you do have a problem:)! Take two tractors and call me in the morning.
There is something addictive about the restoration process! I wish you the best with your new tractors. I like the B's also. I am just getting to old to climb on and off them. Never thought a thing about it 40 years ago:)
Post some pictures when you get a chance. I like to see the barn fresh ones!
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:26pm
Chris,
The bug has bitten me--hard.  My little C is awaiting the machine work (promised it this week).  I bought a little B last week and I'm working a couple of deals on two more.  Oh my!  I'd prefer one with the history yours have.  Nice to have a family connection there.  Oh well, mine was in SOMEONE'S family. 
Best,
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:24pm
Folks,
 Good evening!
Spent most of the day around the WD project tractor.

Yes we have rear wheels mounted and its back on the floor! That was a balancing act for a few minutes. But blocked the tractor so it would not tip.

Exhaust manifold installed, I used a different approach on this one. I applied a VERY thin coating of Red High temp silicone to each gasket surface. Then installed the manifold nuts finger tight and let it set for a hour then tightened. ( I know these are supposed to be installed dry!)

Installed the new thermostat. These are a little tricky as the do not install the same as the original equipment ones. They go up in the neck, so that area has to be cleaned out to accept the outer portion of the new thermostat.

Water pump installed. Fan blades are in cleaning tank. Pulley is in process.

Oil filter base and the lines were cleaned and installed. I just used clear on the lines.

Shifter boot and new knob installed. ( Knob had been missing since 1960) :)

Will have same D series look.

Have noticed much more gloss to this paint with the hardener added! I used some Krlyon #1820 rattle can for touch up, and it does not have the gloss. (Used a little clear in those areas.

I am missing a few parts:
I need the wire clip that goes behind the block drain.
Need the clip for the PTO rod. ( goes on the steering wheel pedestal lower bolt.)
And need the clip that the parking brake rod come up through, goes on one of the right rear shift tower bolts.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 May 2015 at 7:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic