This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

winch for WD45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winch for WD45
    Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:08pm
I'd like to build a winch for on back of my WD45 for dragging logs. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:35pm
Electric winch bolted to a plate which is bolted to the draw bar.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:02pm
Switch over to 12 volts and you have all kinds of options.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rick143 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:03pm
I have a winch for a hay sling but I would have to figure out how to power it. Also I don't know how much power it would have.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:20pm
[TUBE]EvAtTP9-yUo[/TUBE]There are probably hundreds of videos  of how to skid a log and you don't even need a winch.  Whatever you do, don't mount the winch up high.
 You can easily double the pulling power of a winch by adding a snatch block in your connection.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 05 Mar 2016 at 6:26pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rick143 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:32pm
Part of the reason I want a winch is because I can't always drive up to the logs because of low land or other trees in the way. But thanks for the advice.   It's all appreciated.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:09pm
HF has winches that attactch to a ball hitch on any vehicle, they are 12V. and pull a lot. then all you need is a ball bolted to your drawbar.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:13pm
What about making a bracket that mounts like a snap coupler implement? You would have to take the drawbar off but make a platform with a yoke that attaches underneath where the drawbar goes, and chains up to the lift arms. You could winch the log out then lift the whole thing up and drag it out like a skidder. Be sure to add some front weights if you do that and don't lift too high.

Edited by Bill_MN - 05 Mar 2016 at 7:14pm
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Rick143 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Bill_MN Bill_MN wrote:

What about making a bracket that mounts like a snap coupler implement? You would have to take the drawbar off but make a platform with a yoke that attaches underneath where the drawbar goes, and chains up to the lift arms. You could winch the log out then lift the whole thing up and drag it out like a skidder. Be sure to add some front weights if you do that and don't lift too high.

I kinda like this idea if I mount a winch towards the front of this plate I could winch the logs into up to the tractor and onto the plate. Then I would be able to skid them out of the woods.   I also wanted to say this is a great forum with a lot of great members.   Thanks for all the help.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 8:31am
One of the first things I made for my D-14 was a 'SC carryall'. Bottom piece is a 3 by3 angle iron WITH a 2" receiver 'stub' welded on. It allows me to use 2" ball to haul trailers or 'balless sleeve' as a 'drawbar'. The center vertical is 2 1/2" tubing allowing a winch on 2" square tubing to slide in. This way winch is 3' higher than the ground. I cn also put forklift forks on it to move skids of stuff around here.Might work for you ??

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic