This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Critique this port work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critique this port work.
    Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:56pm
Sponsored Links

Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 2:08pm
Looks good to me and would be a good mate to the cam you got from me.  Put it with a down draft 2V on it, a header, and I bet she'll run nice.  Most likely not real good to go slow with

Edited by Larry(OH) - 02 Oct 2014 at 2:10pm
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 2:22pm
Larry that cam shaft has been sold for nearly two years now .I wouldn't waste time on a two barrel when panks got a 4 inch toilet

Edited by mgburchard - 02 Oct 2014 at 2:23pm
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:32pm
that is wi50 head he has on facebook for sell
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by patrickmull patrickmull wrote:

that is wi50 head he has on facebook for sell
are you sure
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:40pm
Well, if you look at the intake valve to plug pocket, the head with the nice port work has much larger valves. It also has a stainless wire o ring.

The valves are seated higher on the head in the first picture, rather than sunk in as on your second picture. This allows the valve to start flowing earlier and improves flow at low to mid lifts. Again, much more experience in the top picture.

Look at a fine example of a venturi effect in the cuts under the seat angles in that first picture.

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:49pm
Does every Southern Machinist use a rusty framing square to measure? That's a dandy right there....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

Does every Southern Machinist use a rusty framing square to measure? That's a dandy right there....
no we use dividers like real machinist did before the invention of micrometers. Lol
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

no we use dividers like real machinist did before the invention of micrometers. Lol

Dividers are used for scribing lines, arcs or drawing circles set with a scale or rusty tape measure and used to transfer that measurement to your work Shocked

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:42pm
Don't worry guys, pank knows the "mazak language"
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:14pm
Guys what about the port work? As for dividers they come in inside and outside as well I guess you have to recognize this logo to understand the language
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:40pm
 same pic  that is on facebook    http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1475346142742460&set=pcb.391008294385950&type=1&theater

Edited by patrickmull - 02 Oct 2014 at 7:42pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:47pm

same pic  that is on facebook    http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1475346142742460&set=pcb.391008294385950&type=1&theater
not on Facebook pulling forum they didn't like seeing panks work
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:52pm
its the same pic of the head that marty has for sell on there go look
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:01pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:10pm
different yet head no ring groove 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:13pm

different yet head no ring groove 
yep we wondered where it got off to once it was o-ring couldn't keep it from leaking water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:19pm
so you're saying marty got his head from pank I don't think so
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:25pm

so you're saying marty got his head from pank I don't think so
not directly it was a bundle package probably passed around several times
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:50pm
no way

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm

no way

If we could ask Pankey he would probably deny it . He would say he could hand port more symmetrical than the ovals showing but reality he wasn't perfect when he started . if you notice panks blocks have o-ring register in block .he learned this from that leaky head after all a .032 deep register cut into a head that's been surfaced a few times is getting close to water not to mention when its in the head the bore diameter has to be taken into consideration or it could be sticking inside bore when head is placed .
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:09pm
How are we supposed to critique the port work Pank? By how shiny and smooth it is?    First job given to an apprentice in a Iron foundry is grinding away casting flash. Looks like you passed first day die grinder at the foundry. I can coment on the valve jobs. The person who preformed the seat work on the first head has played around with a flow bench and knows that valves flow best when seated high,either that or he was just lucky and that's where they came out how would I know? We were taught even in trade school that a person doesn't want to sink valves such as was done on the head in picture #2 as it will affect flow even on a normal rebuild, let alone performance applications. Next time Pank give me a shout as I am tooled up to install seats and can bring those valves back up to the correct height for you.  Seat work aside I have no opinion of the work. Shiny appeals to Crows and Squirrels but gains nothing in a port. Big impresses the girls but doesnt directly translate to HP out of a porting job either.  I have seen some fancy looking work that didnt build power. How much power was made with the heads at what cubic inch? What did they flow on the bench? 
As for what they look like in a picture? Who cares. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:57pm

Guys what about the port work? As for dividers they come in inside and outside as well I guess you have to recognize this logo to understand the language

I guess you don't know SQUAT about measuring tools either cause the inside and outside measuring devices you are talking about are called calipers.

Description

6" Inside and Outside Spring Calipers are a shop necessity for measuring inside and outside diameters. Often space is too tight to get an accurate measurement using a scale-type measuring tool. The spring calipers allow the user to transfer the dimensions of a workpiece to a scaled device.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:59pm
I was a card carrying member of the IAM B4 you could walk and have worked as a machinist and tool maker and machine repairman for over 40 years
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 6:07am
And it just keeps getting better.....
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

And it just keeps getting better.....

A person must learn in steps Ken.  Remember the pulling hitch build, rear wheel cuts and oil cooler installation photos? At least now they have acquired SOMETHING  to measure with LOL 
When they clean the rust off of that square they will be able to direct read in 1/8" increments and if they can see good they can eyeball down to a smidgen or maybe  even a hair. 
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 7:33am
I'm not really sure what the display of a Union Logo has to do with anything, I've known many guys that I would be proud to hold the oil can for that never had a Union card. If we are going to show logos, let's do it attached to an item that stands for something. Here's my logo, attached to my diploma and dues book, now let's see what Pank and mgburchard have to offer since they started this, another challenge if you will Gents??
You don't get one of these pretending in the backyard or your Buddies shop, you either have it or you don't, since you claim to have Union status of what you know, lets see it... I'm guessing it's going to be like the Gleason.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:14pm
Ken I don't know why I play your silly games but I do

Check mate stubby ,lol
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 7:59pm
I don't see anyone's name on it. Hold up on the check mate.   

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 03 Oct 2014 at 8:02pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 3:52pm

Ken I don't know why I play your silly games but I do

Because silly games is the primary reason you are here to begin with Pank. Such as why post a picture you took from Marty's facebook page and post it here without saying so? Too bad the ploy didnt work. The Experts work got picked out

As did  the wannabe's 

Where is the two wire Gleason you claimed to own and operate? Liar

Edited by Butch(OH) - 04 Oct 2014 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic