This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H-3 Crawler tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark/indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H-3 Crawler tracks
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:54pm
Could someone refresh me on how to identify the master link in the tracks...

I thought I knew how to find it ..guess not..Mark
mark/indiana..."My favorite Allis Tractor or Crawler is the one I'm sitting on at the time!!..
Sponsored Links

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 6:49pm
the master should have a dimple in the end of the pin in the center. the boss around the pin should also be bigger. hope this helps
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:12am
If they are the same as a cat dozer, they are 2 wedge types with teeth that are bolted together with the pad bolts. They were easy to find on dads dozer.  We just had to dig the dirt off of them and of course they were near the other end from where we started!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:45am
They are always in the last place you look, sometimes unfortunately only the last available place!!
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:08pm
Are you looking to remove the track? If so, it can be removed by loosening the track adjuster all the way and the track will come of with two crowbars easily. Beats splitting the track. Goes back on fairly easy too. The master pin is supposed to look different. I am yet to locate mine.
1961 H3
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 6:01am
My dimples were worn off of my master link. The way to find it is to take a hack saw blade or thin metal and try to slide it down between the pad an link at the joint. If it is the normal link the bushing will go all the way through and the blade won't drop down. If it is the master link the blade will go down to the master pin... Hope this makes sense. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 5:42pm
the new style track is split link, but you will not find this on older machines.
the dimple on the pin end is the common mark on older track.
As the bushing is shorter on the master link that bushing has spacers on the end to allow it to pass by the link of the track , this is where using the feeler is used to find that short bushing.
 When spliting the track they suggest replacing the master pin as it will be worn and to try to allign it in old position will be hard.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 8:42pm
Now that Mark is retired he can take time to clean and inspect every pin.   I guess at least you don't have rotten tires to worry about.

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 11 Mar 2010 at 4:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic