This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Man O Man did AGCO hire people to talk us down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Man O Man did AGCO hire people to talk us down
    Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:37pm
Boys i need help... i am trying to fight the AC-Orange Finger battle on FaceBook and at random this guy pops up with a bunch of BS he says he has been waching us here and says that "the kid" which is me 15 needs to quit winning and on and on he probly will see this to but i just thought that you guys might want to read what he said to me.

Hello everyone, once again, I will make an appearance on this wall (It seems like it is becoming more and more lately.)
Disclaimer: AGCO you don’t have to agree with this one…

Cordel or "ACD19farmboy", can you do me a favor? Log in to the AC site, and tell the kid he is full of it. (I don’t feel like creating a log in to another site) There were oranges, but it quickly became a game for the AGCO employees. People not only set them in different places, they also handed them to the representatives. The people working the booth should be thanking the “orange crowd” for helping create a little fun during those long show days. It is probably not that AGCO doesn’t care, but this just wasn’t that good of a stunt. And let no one who reads this think that we are talking about a lot of occurrences. The entire thing was minimal, and was not even a factor a NFMS. I am also betting that the only one heated was him, his dad drug him away because he was embarrassing him in public.
... See More
You and some others keep asking AGCO to respect the AC brand legacy, but not a single one of you can express your wishes in an intelligent way. All I read sometimes is whining like a bunch of 4 year olds that just had your favorite colored blanket taken away. I have said this before, but I fell I should repeat it. I have not seen a single place where AGCO is trying to remove the legacy of the AC line. That legacy will always be what it is, an amazing history of innovation. But again they are not trying to get rid of this, if you have seen documents stating this please show me. Heck if you are honest with yourself, there hasn’t been an AC tractor in many years. The orange tractors are just a Massey with orange paint and an AGCO decal (same could be said of the challenger version). And if you break the tractor down to functional areas you will see Fendt, SISU, Valtra, and other additions. But no, all we get to read is complaining from AC fans that haven’t purchased a tractor in years and fail to show any type of support for the AGCO line. How in the world do you expect a company to keep a line going if the sales are just not there? To me it’s obvious why Massy was chosen, because when it comes to world wide, none of the other brands can compare to the sales. And I am guessing the Challenger line was kept, because AGCO has been working diligently with CAT dealers to set up a dealer network. The new network in combination with the already established AGCO network is supposed to rival Deere’s support once fully trained. When you want to be the big player, you need to go head to head against the other top company. From most of the farmers I have spoken with, dealer support is one of, if not the most important thing when purchasing new equipment. Reliability and cost are usually what follows. I think the lowering of part counts, paperwork, and the overall overhead costs, by removing multiple color lines, is just plain smart business. And it should help keep the costs of the products from growing any more than the normal inflation or innovation dictates. Allow those newly freed resources to be used to create a reliable and great performing machine for years to come. You also should try to remember that AGCO is a company, a very large one actually, that needs to make a profit to stay in business. In large corporations like this USA is not the market, the entire world is! (Now I only talked about the bigger lines of tractors and didn't give too much to Valtra or Fendt. They are there own models and have their own markets. Some day I might comment on them, but this is already too long of post.)

In conclusion;
Cordel and some others, please keep the whining out of future posts for the rest of us that really don’t want to hear it. Let’s try to keep this wall as a friendly gathering of people from all walks of earth that share a common interest in AGCO.

Thank you

.......i just want to knock the snot out of this guy!!!!
Sponsored Links

Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:54pm
He's just some corporate piece of ______ (fill in the blank).  Trust me, I live with them all the time.  And some of the points he makes are straight form management class 101, but a lot of it is plain BS.  The thing with most business people is they have no clue of anything about manufacturing.  I live with these too good to talk to you snobs every day in class in a school this corporate snob might have heard of, The Wharton School of Business.  Fortunately for my sanity, I am in a dual degree program for Mechanical engineering and business, so I have actually learned something practical and not complete boloney.  I hope he's following this thread, because I'd sure love to discuss some business with him, in addition to how horrible CAT dealers are for ag dealers....  I'd like to know how AGCO's business structure's set up?  It sure doesn't fit into the normal regional division structure or matrix structure most global enterprises find themselves in.  Maybe, just maybe, the wonderful management there has made huge strides in business management that is too new for the Universities to even know about?!

Hurst

PS, if you're reading this, e-mail is nuckolsa(at)wharton(dot)upenn(dot)edu
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:59pm
Well,he shows his ignorance when he claims the tractor is a Massey...just about as much as it is an Allis.Don't bother with him.Can't you tell,he's smarter than us two put together,all business minded and so on.There will always be elitists.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:02pm
Tell me about it.  It's really funny sitting through finance and accounting classes being an engineering student also, as those people have no math background whatsoever, not to mention absolutely no practical application of anything!  Sure, they probably got an internship at some private equity firm or bank as a teenager, but wait, what do most economist blame for sparking the current recession???  lol

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
JeffHillNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffHillNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:04pm
I believe this is from an old Jerry Clower story "its obvious he is educated beyond his intelligence level" ie a mouth piece for someone else.
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:05pm
I am jumping in on this fight on facebook right away.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:10pm
I may do the same.  We'll see how many people come to his back... If this is such a wonderful decision by AGCO, surely he'll have an abundance of supporters...

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
steffensen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:26pm
Guys and/or gals,

No need to go on Facebook, i will come to you. I am glad Cordel posted my comments on here. I am not in business, not hired by AGCO to fight you, or even claiming to be an AC historian. If anyone can prove me wrong and produce documentation about AGCO trying to get rid of the AC legacy of innovation, I will gladly accept the beating and skulk away.  Also someone please prove to me that the orange AGCO tractor we see today is not a Massy and a combination of many of the AGCO parts, I would love to see it.  I called it the way I seen it. If that is wrong prove it.

Also, hurst when you finally finish the ME classes (like I did), I hope you like the field as much as I do. Good luck with all your classes, i hope you do well and succeed.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:32pm
My post is finished. Someone please read it and tell me what you think. It is under the same reply on Cordels post.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:40pm

I read it and it is very good. But I still don't see where you are getting off calling me a corporate AGCO bigshot. Definately not me. I still don't think you proved the AGCO is getting rid of the legacy. I say this because I can to a google, bing, or whatever search fight now on Allis Chalmers and I get tons of information on it. That is my point they can never take this away, especially with the internet. There is information everywhere and I think AC fans should be proud of it and not tarnish it with stunts and name calling. (Please notice I have not done that)

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm
They are breaking off, what I would call, all ties to the brand. That is what we are upset about.
r chancellor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r chancellor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:54pm
Hurst,  I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad dealing with a CAT dealer. I'm sure there is a bad apple out there , I see first hand how my customers {AG AND DIRT}are priority number one  at our company .

Edited by r chancellor - 19 Feb 2010 at 9:56pm
66 190gas, 49WF, b1, b10, 37WC, 48WF, B,C, 3 WD'S 66allcrop, 350chevy powered WC
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:06pm
I hope mine is a rare occurrence, but there are a lot of these CAT dealers turning over some big deals out there that don't feel like they need to waste their time for someone coming in about buying an AGCO part.  They just push you away and tell you to get it mailed in from the AGCO dealer.

Steffensen,
I'm glad that you're not one of the corporate types.  I have come to despise business with a passion the longer I have been around the people in business school.  ME has been a much better experience than business school, but the value of a business background keeps me going after the dual degrees, as it sure gives you a boost out in the real world.  In addition, I feel business is very important for an engineer to understand (even if it makes me sick to my stomach to see how some people in my classes act, knowing they will be people I may be working with later on in life :-/).  Knowing that you're not just a business person is nice to know, as I have lost a lot of respect for some of those people.  I have to give you credit for joining the forum, as most people would not have done what you did, and instead just watched from the sidelines and post on facebook.  I guess we should say welcome to the forum, even if the circumstances are somewhat rough lol.  

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:24pm
Hurst, I thank you for the welcome and think the business side will treat you well in the engineering field. With the way most companies are always trying to cut costs, it helps to have a little "bean counter" in you.

I do want to clafiy: This was my comment about CAT. "AGCO has been working diligently with CAT dealers to set up a dealer network. The new network in combination with the already established AGCO network is supposed to rival Deere’s support once fully trained." I guess I have had good luck with dealing with CAT dealers (non AG), but think that once everyone gets trained up they could easily compete with Deere.  Your comment about them is something that needs to be worked out with the training. Some of the CAT dealers I know are all about providing the best service they can, and would hope it carries into the AG side.

Morton,
I understand they are cutting ties with the brand, but the more I read comments on this site I see how unhappy people are with AGCO period (not just because of the orange loss). Shouldn't you all be happy that AGCO will no longer be as you say "tied" to the brand.

We also should realize that this is a world wide company and not just a US company. And it doesn't take someone with business classes or degree to realize there is a much larger pool of money world wide that needs to be catered too. And they have made their statement that the money is out there with Massy and not in the US market with the AGCO. Especially with the challenger brand staying, but that just ties into my CAT dealer comment.

And again, I am not an AGCO coporate bigshot! I am not a hired gun to battle with you. I just got tired of seeing posts that seemed childish and responded. I have never even seen their corporate offices or all their factories. Have a good weekend and it has been interesting to chat with you.
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:18pm
steffensen,
I understand AGCO is putting AGCO badge on MF tractors now.  I also understand why keep so many brands out there.  I don't understand why AGCO wouldn't just put AGCO on it's tractor and provide it in multiple colors like they do Valtra?  If they want to keep the MF and AC and Challenger and White and Oliver, etc. crowd happy they could have an AGCO tractor brand and paint it different colors, like Valtra, and put a different sticker on each one like AGCO/Massey Ferguson, or AGCO/Challenger or AGCO/Oliver.  They would have ONE brand along with Fendt and Valtra.  Why not do that?  Their working so hard to create a Challenger brand wouldn't it be easier to create an AGCO brand like that?

Why would AGCO offer a full line to Challenger, from the get go, but not to AGCO?

I am one of those "few" people who bought and supported AGCO equipment because to me it was the Allis Gleaner corporation.  I don't own much just an RT100A, Sunflower no-till drill, ST subcompact with loader/mower and AGCO tiller, AGCO blade, landscape rake, rotary cutter, etc.  I was planning on getting AGCO hay equipment this year but not now.

I've heard from dealers that in the larger tractor segment AGCO orange ones outsold Challenger and MF 4 to 1 in North America is that true?

Your right on dealer support but a lot of us drove a long ways past a lot of other dealers to get to an AGCO one because it was orange.

You shouldn't want to be like Deere.  You will not beat Deere but Deere might beat themselves. 

AGCO started as AGCO-Allis and sold a hodge podge of tractors and people bought them because they were orange.  Those farmers helped build AGCO so that it could be what it is now.  They'd even buy the Deutz tractors painted orange but not when they were green. 

I'm sorry.  My thoughts are hodge podged tonight cause it's late and I did taxes all day.  The bottom line is that what AGCO is doing doesn't make sense unless you put shields on the side of your head and look down a very narrow path.  Why does what I'm saying, about the colors, not make more sense that what AGCO is doing now?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:40am

Sorry, I do not have anything to do with agco's business decisions. Cordel is making false claims in the title, I don't think he figured I would actually come on here and let you all have a shot at me. I wish he would post to edit it.

I cannot tell you why agco won't provide it in multiple colors. Might because of part count, from an engineering side with multiple plastic colors you have a nightmare of blueprints/drawings and other part numbers to create and manage. Its just not quite the same as just the paint color. From my experience this tends to decreases overall part use (volume) and drives costs up on each part. It might work for Fendt or Valtra becuase they are already a little higher in price and don't seem to be pushed much.

Also, I can not tell you why they are pushing the Challenger line or verify the 4:1 sales. I respect you are one of the "few" people that support the company. My original rant was because I was not seeing posts from people like you. I was seeing posts that were from teenagers that hadn't purchased a single thing. If I was to guess to why the Challenger was pushed and a full line was offered, it would be because with the purchase of the brand from CAT. There might be an agreement. Who knows??? Also, I don’t think the AGCO brand is on any of the tracked tractors (established by CAT) or the big articulated 4wd. If those are included, the overall tractor line becomes larger on the challenger side. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Please stop referring to agco's choices as mine. It is not me that wants to be like Deere. I just plain old assumed that. But when you read the farming articles and in a lot of areas just talk about Deere's service and all you seem to get is that they are the gold standard. (Except for a recent article I read that talks about them cutting long time dealers) And we must face that, Deere is the market share to take in the US. In the non-AG field I would say that CAT is considered the best and maybe that’s why they are tied so close to them.

You have a very good post. Most of what I was hearing before all this started was that MF tractors were crap and how many names we can call agco's CEO. It was getting hard to read that when the tractors are the same with a different skin. (Then wouldn’t they both be crap) And I guess I am just getting too old for person attacks on an old man.

Edited by steffensen - 20 Feb 2010 at 5:42am
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:28am
Originally posted by steffensen steffensen wrote:

Sorry, I do not have anything to do with agco's business decisions. Cordel is making false claims in the title, I don't think he figured I would actually come on here and let you all have a shot at me. I wish he would post to edit it.

I cannot tell you why agco won't provide it in multiple colors. Might because of part count, from an engineering side with multiple plastic colors you have a nightmare of blueprints/drawings and other part numbers to create and manage. Its just not quite the same as just the paint color. From my experience this tends to decreases overall part use (volume) and drives costs up on each part. It might work for Fendt or Valtra becuase they are already a little higher in price and don't seem to be pushed much.

Also, I can not tell you why they are pushing the Challenger line or verify the 4:1 sales. I respect you are one of the "few" people that support the company. My original rant was because I was not seeing posts from people like you. I was seeing posts that were from teenagers that hadn't purchased a single thing. If I was to guess to why the Challenger was pushed and a full line was offered, it would be because with the purchase of the brand from CAT. There might be an agreement. Who knows??? Also, I don’t think the AGCO brand is on any of the tracked tractors (established by CAT) or the big articulated 4wd. If those are included, the overall tractor line becomes larger on the challenger side. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Please stop referring to agco's choices as mine. It is not me that wants to be like Deere. I just plain old assumed that. But when you read the farming articles and in a lot of areas just talk about Deere's service and all you seem to get is that they are the gold standard. (Except for a recent article I read that talks about them cutting long time dealers) And we must face that, Deere is the market share to take in the US. In the non-AG field I would say that CAT is considered the best and maybe that’s why they are tied so close to them.

You have a very good post. Most of what I was hearing before all this started was that MF tractors were crap and how many names we can call agco's CEO. It was getting hard to read that when the tractors are the same with a different skin. (Then wouldn’t they both be crap) And I guess I am just getting too old for person attacks on an old man.

From my point of view, I can understand a lot of the reason why AGCO is doing what they are doing:  They wanted to cut costs and go with a brand that had the most GLOBAL recognition - That is Massey. Cant argue that the Massey name is more recognized worldwide than AGCO.  But there were better ways to do this and no need
to throw the Orange followers under the bus. In this whole thing they have done several things to add salt to the wound and downright insult those who have supported the AGCO brand:

1 Denying they were ever "Allis Gleaner Comany" 
2 Claiming only those who would never bought or would buy AGCO are the ones bitching.
3 Claiming it was to save money on emmissions testing
4 Having the dealers find out about it in the media
5 Saying a mere couple years ago AGCO was a "core brand"
6 Changing the AGCO symbol from orange to red.

I have my doubts that any of the above actions would help the "bottom line"

And I'm sure there are more others can add.

Certainly AGCO could find a way to respect the heritage while trying to cut costs and
better themselves globally. It seems to many here an attempt was never made or considered. It appears they instead have decided to disown their heritage and their supports instead.

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:53am
When the gentleman points out that there's a lot of AC fans that haven’t purchased a tractor in years and fail to show any type of support for the AGCO line, he's right. The folks like Byron and ILG that have been let down on products they have supported have a legitimate gripe. Any argument from those of us that will never buy a tractor is pretty hollow for a business to consider.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:09am
I cannot and will not support all that agco has done with this and other choices. Just like I think the new "legacy" branding is the most disgracful thing I have seen in a long time. Slapping a new decal and offering a special medallion is nothing special. The only thing that might be worth it is the extended warranties that are supposed to come with it.
On #3: Not a good reason for dropping the color. But I would invite people to look up what the EPA is requiring all manufacturers that use diesel engines to do to verify the upcoming Tier 4a levels.
On #4: I was told there was a letter that was sent to the dealers weeks prior to the press release. If this isn't true, then shame on agco. If the employees of certain dealerships were not told by their employer, then shame on the employer.

And I agree there is legitimate gripes out there. But until this post got started I was not seeing reasonable conversations about it.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:24am
Just a quick comment from me. I have not purchased any new agco equipment, but dreamed of the day I could afford a brand new orange tractor. Won't happen now. Also, an agco dealer 15 miles down the road has so many parts for all of my old allis stuff, that's it's unbelievable. I hope that channel won't be gone. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:33am
Steffensen, thanks for getting back with me.

I used to work, for a time, at a place where we designed plastic parts and the injection mold for them.  I understand part numbers a tad and I couldn't figure out why AGCO changed like a little flair on a cab between models or something like that when they could've left them the same and saved cost.  With creative engineering the part numbers could be minimized. 

I also used to own an AGCO LT70 that I had a barn collapse on.  When the dealer got the parts in for the cab, (the plastic ones were the ones to break), all the plastic came in primed.  I'm not up on weather the AGCO hoods are injected with colored plastic but I would guess that the outside is still painted otherwise it'd be nearly impossible to get the finish to match.  Also, if you look at the new tractors they all have the black belly with the colored sheet metal/plastic.  And, AGCO recently created those facilities to add options to the tractors once they got shipped over here.  Why not send the tractor over without the colored parts on it and put them on over her made to order?  Make it an option and charge $350 for it.  I recently priced out a trade for my RT on a New Holland TV6070 and it was $350 to get it in yellow instead of blue.   You can price out a Deere online.  Their tractors don't have black underbellies it's all green and it's about $1,200 "list" to paint a Deere orange.

So, AGCO already has a brand where they know how to offer different colors and make it profitable.  They already have the facilities setup, sans paint booth, to make it a possibility.  They already have an orange following and several heritage brands that still have some popularity.  They've already converted or are converting the short lines to the AGCO brand.  Their putting their AGCO logo on MF equipment now.  So what's the big deal to make one AGCO brand offer colors and pump up their heritage.  They could have three core brands: AGCO, Fendt and Valtra.  Fendt is high end, AGCO in the middle and Valtra the low end.

I know I may be wacked but I'm not alone.  I traveled 1200 miles and made a family vacation out of picking up my ST machine last summer.  Incidentally, I bought it after being reassured by AGCO's Todd Stucke at the end of June that getting rid of orange was just a rumor.  The dealer/owner I bought it from had a painted AGCO tractor Oliver green because that was his first choice.  He asked me the same questions I'm asking you, about offering color as an option, and I said Amen brother.  I emailed the same thing to Todd before I went there.

So, why is AGCO essentially shooting themselves and their brand loyal customers in the foot?  Honestly I can only see two possible logical reasons and non of them have to do with reducing brands, epa emissions, etc.  First is this move is definitely going to get rid of some dealers and I think AGCO wants a legal and easy way to get rid of some underperforming ones.  They want to do this thinking that those dealers are taking business away from the "good" ones so if we kill them off the good ones will have more money to spend on advertising and training.  That will not work as those dealers will only pick up other brands like Deutz and Kubota.  Second is that AGCO has definitely gotten and European mentality and they like CAT over there and they like MF.  They also think they can tell the North American customers what they need instead of asking them.  And, Europeans like big looking companies hence CAT and MF.  This second option lends me to believe that parts for the older heritage equipment will go away or go way up in price from AGCO so that they can "push" the old equipment farmers use into new equipment.

AGCO spent a lot of money investing in the new AGCO DT tractors and "long live the family farm."  They made AGCO a core brand only a short time ago.  They've reassured farmers that orange will be around as long as they sell and they did outsell red and yellow 4 to 1 in NA.  So why in such a short time has it all reversed?  It seems like AGCO is rudderless with decisions being made at the whim based on emotion rather than logic.  Maybe if I could get a logical reason why my orange equipment lost 4% of it's value overnight and why they've decided to dump their "core" brand it'd make it easier.  I have yet to hear that logical reason at least one that is more logical than the one I, and others, have offered here and before.

Byron

P.S. - I was writing as you were posting.  As I recall Martin R. announced orange going away a week or so before the dealers got any letter.  Then the letter was posted online before the dealers got it.  Then the day after the dealers got their letter, if they were one AGCO wanted to keep, they got a new contract for an all MF line.  The dealers positive spin on it was that they would only have to pay AGCO once for advertising now instead of for both MF and AGCO.  The dealer I talked to thought it would never happen and thought it only happened because Martin R. opened up his *** mouth.

Edited by Byron WC in SW Wi - 20 Feb 2010 at 8:42am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:54am
I've been following the conversations on here ever since this whole thing started months ago. I never chimed in because I'm really a "new guy" to the Tractor world, never purchased a new JD, AGCO, Whatever, Tractor to help support a manufacturer. Never grew up on a farm. (not considered a city boy either by any stretch) Out of all the Tractors that were built, I think they're all pretty neat, and have there own "coolness" about em', (especially the antique ones) but even when I wasn't into the Tractor world like I am now, Allis-Chalmers was always my favorite outta' the bunch and I always said "I'm gonna git' one of those one day" and I did. Now I have more than one, but that's another story. Anyway, I said that, to tell ya this. I will comment on a couple things in these current conversations, and one is about #3 listed about the EPA that Steffensen did comment on. He is correct on the EPA thing. The EPA is hard with the manufacturers about emissions. Being that I'm responsible at work to keep a fleet of trucks running, and running cleanly,  I see and hear a lot of info on emissions. We do our own smoke tests at work to keep our trucks "legal eagle". Just bout' a year ago, I heard CAT does not build an over the road engine anymore. Why? The engines they build can't meet emissions! That's astonishing, but true from what I've read, and been told by my superiors that purchase our heavy trucks. The other thing I'd like to touch on is the "whiny teenagers" comment. You are absolutely correct in saying they never purchased any Tractors or equipment. That's quite obvious. Larry is also correct. A lot of us older guys haven't either. But one thing you have to keep in mind, that hopefully these "teenagers" are going to be our future, in AG, and we all can only hope that even though they haven't purchased anything YET, they may in the future, so I think its important to keep them in mind and listen to what they say. We can only hope that these young bucks can still fight to keep our Orange heritage going long after us older gent's are long gone. I hope things work out to the better for us Orange folk, but you just can't blame a lot of these folks for being sore. They just feel like they've been "dumped" after all the years that have gone by with their support. These are just die-hard AC people, and DAMN NICE people at that!! The responses that you're getting is only Human Nature, and its from the heart that pumps Orange blood......
Steve@B&B  
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:17am
    In my estimation, this is not about which AGCO brand has the better tractor.  For most of us who use equipment supported by AGCO, the dealer we use is of supreme importance, and often the reason we have that equipment at all.  Dissolving the AGCO brand has caused a great deal of angst among us for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the most important is what many of us see as very poor treatment of the people who have bent over backwards to serve us for so long.  My local dealer was shoehorned into a Massey-Ferguson contract right before the "end of AGCO letter" was sent, and was given very little if any explanation.  A new MF sign and brochures just started showing up on his doorstep. Other dealers, many of whom are long respected institutions are not being given the opportunity to continue with AGCO in any capacity.  Unfortunately it seems that AGCO has joined the John Deere bandwagon for "dealer consolidation", AKA dealer elimination.  The difference is that AGCO really can't spare any dealers for ANY of their brands, as the network is so sparse that many folks don't even know where their dealer is. There have already been so many consolidations of branding within AGCO that many people are confused about where to go for service.  This confusion has given rise to the idea that AGCO does not service its brands as well as Deere and CNH.  More confusion can't possibly help this situation.    

Edited by BrettPhillips - 20 Feb 2010 at 9:22am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:49am
Steve is right.  I was a teenager when AC was sold to Deutz and grew up on AC.  I was 34 before I could afford to farm.  I kept up with AGCO before that point but didn't have the land or resources to afford it.  Todays farmers aren't teenagers, because they can't afford to farm, but most are formative during that time.  They have more testosterone than us older guys and haven't been tempered by life just yet but what they feel and have to say is important.  If AGCO wants to be like Deere they better start listening to not only teenagers but tots.  Deere has not won market share through superior product or dealers IMO.  Deere has won through something you business guys should understand...marketing.  They've created a brand and brand loyalty and they start marketing to teens and tots.  My one year old son got a bunch of Deere toys for Christmas and he plays with them.  But, my goodness, his favorite thing right now is that Kubota product line brochure.  It's a riot to see him walk around with that thing.

I'm now 40 and have around $100,000, (discounted), in AGCO equipment and AGCO couldn't care less about me.  Funny thing is is that if I spent that money on AGCO stock I'd have roughly 4000 shares given that when I started AGCO stock was around $17 and I've spent that money over time.  And, even though 4000 shares is a pittance AGCO would care about me 4000 times more than they do now.  Does that make any sense?  I guess in that business world of Wall Street it does but not in mine.

Edited by Byron WC in SW Wi - 20 Feb 2010 at 11:29am
Ron(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:53pm
Well. this is definitely not a tracors and farm machinery only subject, but does have some credibility in this compartment, so here goes. The AGCO decision was a decision arrived at by primariy yhe bean counters, and seconded by the bowers that pee, who only want to see immediate bottom line results, not long term effects. All emotional issues and hyperbole (i.e. Steffensen) aside, it looks to me like AGCO is is making a valient last gasp attempt to right the ship, by a common methodology (kill the goose that layed the golden eggs so that you can eat the goose now because you are hungry now), which only works short time. When this finally fails, along with the company, there will be more hyperbole about that, just to cover the truth. For example, we all remember when Agco first started business, saying " AGCO means Allis-Gleaner Company"?? Now they are saying they never said that, in spite of factual evidence to the contrary. Which brings us back to Steffensen, our current hyperbole fountain. It's over, let's get on with the funeral and the wake! We still have the original orange and all the memories, meetings, Go To's, etc, no one can take that away from us. time to thumb our noses at the ilk who wish to use their so-called grandiose ideas to convince us thier dea is better.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:31pm
Whatever AGCO does as a company, no matter if they're right or wrong, no matter what we think of the decision, no matter if they survive or fail, no matter how dumb or smart, it's their decision to make. All the oranges in Florida won't change that. Denegrating Mr. Steffensen for an opposing viewpoint won't change that. All the pissing and growling in the world won't change that, nor should it. If AGCO's Board of Directors support the decision, following through on the decision not only is AGCO's, right it's their responsibility. They own the company! 
ac_bowsers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_bowsers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:39pm
One point I would like to make is that of AGCO's dealer net program. They admitted to me and others at the NFMS that it isn't what it could be, but also didn't feel they needed to do anything about it. We lost probably the best A-C/AGCO dealer in pour area a few years ago, it was a decision the family made, not forced out,or not selling enogh etc. They were the place to go for anything AGCO had or supported. They had parts!!! whether for an A-C,oliver,white,N-I, they had them. Now for us we either have to go north to the Wisconsin border, or southwest towards Galesburg. To me that is not feasible nor does it serve well to the customer. I don't see anything changing for their so-called rival dealer network once its ppoor word choiceed its "training stage" I could travel 30 minutes in all 4 directions of the comppoor word choice and run into a JD,N-H,Case-IH dealer, in our area how do they think they are going to rival that? Sounds like more BS to me. What I can't understand is how you could pull a line that carries your flagship name. There were a few reps at the NFMS that admitted what AGCO stands for ALLIS-GLEANER company. Take some notes AGCO people, a man from the N-H booth told me they can't make the boomer8n fast enough, and CaseIH is coming out with a new midsize compact farmall with the old circle A decal on the side. Maybe if they tried some of these strategies in the market a few more of us would have bought into the concept, just an idea. A midsize tractor truely showing A-C's heritage in the styling or model name would have been a hit. Now the only thing left orange will be slowly faded away. The other problem is at one time AGCO was big on Heritage Line parts, and was advertised well, A close friend of mine even had one of their Whites in one of the posters that was made, over the last few years that has faded to nothing, and prices seem to increase to ridiculous amounts. We are fortunate enough to have our own shop to keep up on the repairs of our Gleaner, but what really ticks me off the most is that JD is close, now AGCO is not, the whole dealer network is hog wash to me. And there are a few Gleaners and AGCO units in our area still today, mainly because at one time we were flooded woth true A-C dealers in the good old days. Those of us who are diehard A-C/Gleaner didn't move on to another color, we stuck it out through the Deutz merger, and hoped for the best. Now I think that this could really change people minds, I think Gleaner may survive but just how long and at what cost. Bottom line is How can you quit building a product that carries your companies name, to me it just does'nt make sense. Steve is right with his post, what we have now with our A-C heritage no-one can take that away, but right now I think if people want to make AGCO feel some hurt on their decsion, look for other sources for parts and service, it may be a difficult thing to do, especially to those who have been loyal to dealers for so long, but that may be the one effort that can make some noise at AGCO, Thats what we plan to do, unless it is absolutly nescessary and all other resources are exhausted we will purchase AGCO parts. Dad and I have already maade the decsion to quit buying OEM AGCO filters for our tractors and Combine, once we go through our stock of what we have in our shop, they will come from another source. Those who have given their input have spoken well with both emotions and facts, thats what make this country so great, this will be one more thing some of us can talk about at a show or to our future farmers generations to come, just one more piece of the puzzle the orange and silver line had to detour through
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:15pm
This is interesting; someone mentioned that THE ALMIGHTY AGCO  is trying to right the wrong; whoever this guy is \or just someone making folks believe he knows something ; yeah; everones got an opinion, xpress you,re self ; ITS THE WAY IT WAS HANDLED ; that gets me ; straight out lies to guys that support the company ,  the way I see it if you buy new equipment- or buy AC parts you support the Agco Corp ;                        Agco introduced the new line of Agco tractors , SAVE THE FAMILY FARM slogan or whatever , Agco brand is a core brand of the company ; We are building the Hertiage Parts Line with more !!!! NAW, we  changed our mind ,just like that ; just buy a Mpoor word choiceey or a made up yellow Challenger brand tractor ; Thanks for all the support Agco and lies !!! The best one is dropping the core brand the company was founded on ; GOOD BUSINESS ???? You build on it !!!!! You make that brand the best of all , Agco has\will lose in the long run here, but its their fault !!!
tominpa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:47pm
It seems like the thing to do is tell them to sell their junk to the chineese. They've already gotten rid of White, Now their getting rid of AC. Me, I'm going all Green and yellow. I would'nt have a mpoor word choiceey on my farm or a fendt unless it was for resale of course. LOL. Our local Agco dealer witmers inc was out trying to sell me a mpoor word choiceey. I want nothing to do with agco except parts for ACs. and Whites. Aside from compacts your not gonna shove mpoor word choiceeys down out throats. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to farm equipment in this day and age its deere or fiat and like it or not deere is an American Company so I choose deere. I like the 8000 series AC And I like the Whites with the Cummins but Mpoor word choiceey got rid of the best thing they had. The 354 perkins. Just my 2 Cents
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:48pm
Cleaning out the cabinets the other day we found a lot of old magazines. Mom was going to throw them all away. But i said look threw them first. One of them i found (which is on my desk right now was) a Agco Allis Landhandler. its got a subtitle that says "building on TRADITION" now ain't that funny AGCO now say that they never where the Allis-Gleaner company but its sort of funny that it say it right in the front of their old magazine. Yeah i a 15 year old kid but hope to be a farmer. have Allis Chalmers and i thought about Agco but i not so sure about Agco now.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic