This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

camshaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: camshaft
    Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 11:14am
well now that i have time and pank is gone so i can get some legit answers i can ask this. as you all probably know by now i am planning on rebuilding the motor on my 1950 wd, i am going with 4.125 bore and 4.5 stroke for 240 cubic inches. so far the plan is to stay at stock rpms, i will be pulling 3500 4000 and 4500 pound stock class dictating that i run first gear, so 2.5 mph and will hopefully be rolling on 14.9 by 28 rubber instead of my 13.6 by 28s though they seem to work very well, especially on hard packed tracks. i was wondering what camshaft i should get and where i should get it, every where is an option and not just guys from this site, thanks guys
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 12:24pm
 This topic has been covered many times before, past posts are a good place to start. Skip over the drama and read for the tech.  I  recommend a 175   Z code grind and have your machinist degree it for you.   Your mph, class's and tires   are the sweet spot for WD45 power levels.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:27pm
something with a lifter maximum acceleration of.0093 to .0095
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 8:47pm
can someone explain lifter acceleration?
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

can someone explain lifter acceleration?

Basically, total lift and duration only tell part of what is happening with a cam grind. Getting the valve open as fast as you can and holding it open as long as you can within a given duration will increase flow but there are trade offs to consider.  I could go on an on but by punching "lifter acceleration" into Google will give you lots to read. Its one of those things that you really don't need to fret about. Any cam grinder worthy of the title knows what to do with  ramp and acceleration rates if he is given accurate information as to application.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

This topic has been covered many times before, past posts are a good place to start. Skip over the drama and read for the tech.  I  recommend a 175   Z code grind and have your machinist degree it for you.   Your mph, class's and tires   are the sweet spot for WD45 power levels.
well i tried, but as soon as i hit search it said i had timed out and made me start over, i tired it again today and it still did it, so where would i find a cam grinder worth his salt, and should i regrind mine or get a new one, i do believe i have the wd cam in the motor and a wd 45 cam in the parts shed, i was told it was the same, and kind of figured they were the same, what exactly do you mean by its the sweet spot for wd 45 power levels? i am confused by this, also i have no intentions of running any faster ever, so this means i am shooting for a torque monster and lugger rather than aiming for horsepower and rpms, thanks a bunch guys
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 8:07am
Barney Taylor was the guy a lot of people recommended at one time. Not sure if he is still doing them or how to contact him. Someone else said to stick a 175 cam in. Not sure if that would help but I think it would be hard to find.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:03am
A stock WD45 shouldn't have any trouble at 2.5 mph in first gear, the overbore kit is just added insurance, I would save my money unless you plan to move up the power curve at some point which in any case you would still need a new camshaft to enhance any modifications made at that time.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 12:07pm
yes but i dont have a wd 45, i basically will after this winter, also in the pulls my association does i have noticed all but one 45 power out on a sticky track, the owners say the engines are stock, with one having an overbore kit, meaning 45s dont have enough power either. tracks around here are usually sticker than other tracks even in close by areas like south dakota. also our rules are way different than others and we usually dont get as far as in south dakota pulls
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 12:44pm
 Pretty hard to help a guy who makes a question into a moving target.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 3:06pm

Pretty hard to help a guy who makes a question into a moving target.
how is it a moving target? nothing has changed, i have never had a wd 45, it says right in the original post 1950 wd, nothing else has changed i just added that the tracks around here seem to have more traction than normal compared to other places and the rules are different, i also added that 99 percent of the wd 45s that pull around here power out way behind the others especially in the heavier classes, dictating that i need more power than a stock wd 45 has, which is why i am looking into cams and will be supporting the cam with some head work. if i have changed the question in some other way, or still confuse you please give greater detail so i can explain, thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 3:37pm
  PM'd you my phone number, give me a call, I'll try to help.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 4:58pm
4 1/8" pistons could be a giant step sideways if they are as low on compression as I think they may be.
The Other Orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 5:00pm

If you are tearing down the engine why not go bigger on the stroke? A 5.5 stroke doesnt cost very much and then you wont have to worry about power and run 38in rubber. Just a thought I know funding isnt always there. I just built a engine and I could kick myself for not going bigger on the stroke just to save a few bucks.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 8:39pm
When I built my C engine I took my vast knowledge of cam grinding (not), called and give Crane Cam all my engine parts data and the RPM I wanted to run and sent the camshaft to them. When I called them the fellow on the phone said they had a computer program to give them the proper grind using my data. I was happy with what they did for me. The shop that welded and ground my crankshaft would grind camshafts also. I had him do standard grinds on camshafts but I decided on Crane Camshaft because of the computer program that the shop I used here was a seat of the pants special grinder on what would be proper for my data. I might not have been able to tell the difference between the two with the engine under power but it is what I did. No advise! Just something to think about.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:37am

PM'd you my phone number, give me a call, I'll try to help.
sent ya one back dont know if you got it, but i just went with a new provider and broke my phone and according to the store guy it "may be up to 4 weeks" before i get a new one and i dont have a home phone, luckily people arent calling or texting me constantly
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:38am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

4 1/8" pistons could be a giant step sideways if they are as low on compression as I think they may be.
we are using a 45 crank and i believe the old original m&w pistons cause my grandpa had some laying around for a wc he was gonna build but never did
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:55am
use the m and w pistons if they are for a wc will have to machine a little off the top so they don't hit the head. U said u have some junk wcs laying around? Take ur handclutch housing out and bolt a wc trans in where it was will bolt right up then put 38s on it run front trans in 3rd to slow ur groung speed down.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 9:09pm
 In many Antique Pulling Clubs a morphidite "two transmission" chassis like that wouldn't be allowed. I've seen a couple tractors from Missouri that have the torque tube completely removed from "WD's" to lighten them up another 100 pounds and that also wouldn't be allowed in a majority of Antique Clubs. If you can't wheel 38" rubber, you need more engine, not slower gears.
YT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 10:58pm
Barney Taylor goes by 472 big block on this forum. He ground a "175" cam for us a few years ago. I would try to PM him and see if he could help you out. He did us well, I'll tell you that!    
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 7:09am
I'll throw this question out there.  If he is basically running a bone stock 4 1/8 overbore WD45 engine at stock rpm and on stock rubber, will anything other than a stock cam really be worth it?  I guess I could see a 175 cam helping because they did have more power, but how much of that comes from higher rpm and compression?  If he wants to stay "stock", then 175 pistons on the 45 crank and a 175 cam would be the way to go, right?
AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 8:04am
Originally posted by AaronSEIA AaronSEIA wrote:

I'll throw this question out there.  If he is basically running a bone stock 4 1/8 overbore WD45 engine at stock rpm and on stock rubber, will anything other than a stock cam really be worth it?  I guess I could see a 175 cam helping because they did have more power, but how much of that comes from higher rpm and compression?  If he wants to stay "stock", then 175 pistons on the 45 crank and a 175 cam would be the way to go, right?
AaronSEIA
 YES .  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 8:38am
Originally posted by AaronSEIA AaronSEIA wrote:

AaronSEIA
yes a set of murphy's 1.85 roller tipped rockers should be purchased before cam then cam purchased ground for new rocker ratio
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 8:57am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

In many Antique Pulling Clubs a morphidite "two transmission" chassis like that wouldn't be allowed. I've seen a couple tractors from Missouri that have the torque tube completely removed from "WD's" to lighten them up another 100 pounds and that also wouldn't be allowed in a majority of Antique Clubs. If you can't wheel 38" rubber, you need more engine, not slower gears.
Telling the truth there brother bigger is better lol
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:22am
The camshaft has to have the matching oil pump.  I'm spouting off info from memory, but no doubt DrAllis knows the numbers from memory.  Up to early D17 had a lower speed oil pump, which corresponded to a certain number of teeth on the cam. Later D17, basicly all W-type engines with full pressure oiling systems, had a faster oil pump and corresponding cam gearing.

So, be careful swapping later model cams into earlier engines - you have to get the corresponding oil pump.

My old engine wasn't that fantasic modification-wise.  It never ran out of power until I went over 5000# with 28" tires of any width - up to 18".  Basic 4.125 X 4.5. with the standard hi-compression WD piston on 45 crank scenario.  At 4000# w/38 x 15.5 tires it would top out against the governor at the end of the track - which was kinda handy.  I seriously doubt tracks in Iowa are any stickier than the clay tracks I pulled on in Tennessee/Kentucky.

I guess what I'm saying is, the best/cheapest engine for what you want to do is your WD pistons top-cut down to about a 10:1-11:1 compression with good gas. Buy a new set of 4.125" sleeves at NAPA and some TotalSeal gapless rings for your WD-pistons on a 45 crank.  Then go have fun.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:43am
The oil pump gears is a fairly simple to get around . When you remove the cam to be ground remove the oil pump gear from oil pump that cm core donor came from then which ever pump you decide to run will just need that gear installed on it to match you cam. The engines that come from boss mans shop has the pump with no bypass for the extra oil pressure to ensure oil wedge and offset the extra pressure the increased power is exerting or loading bearings with
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:52pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 7:19pm
you know my boss and your brother pointed out the lifter diameter as charles at cam crafts does on his web site to a fellow that started a topic called crossbreading a while back. Be a good title to search
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:34am
Eh, don't fret over searching...the post should have Been called " In breeding" from some of the answers that came out of that guy that got banned 3 times from here n still carries on. One must wonder of the whole TVA is of the same mentality.

What you need to do see if you can find a cam out of a 226 LeRoi. Maybe try it degreed down around 103 degrees. If you are running a d17 motor, just push out the roll pin that holds the oil pump gear on the 17 pump n replace it with ( preferably) the matching one out of the D226.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:50am
What you really need to do is look through those old threads, even the one called "thinking of top fuel machining" from that mlpankey fella. It's to bad I cleaned out my file mamager and the pictures were deleted, you could read on and on in some of these threads where we (meaning several forum members) taught that pan key fella how to get rods to clear, how to degree cams, basic math and geometry principals, etc.

What does jpankey stand for there "jeaous pankey"

Anyway on a serious note your existing camshaft is about 20 degrees of duration short of what a good lower rpm pulling cam for one of these engines should be. What this means in simple terms is that your valves are open and moving air for a certain amount of crankshaft rotation. The engine can take advantage of more time to breathe, a longer duration can will do that. If the ranging has to much time to breathe meaning the duration is to long, it will pomp air back out the ports instead of trapping it and using it. If you look in your other thread there Blue, "where to get a cam" you'll find a prime example of specs for such a cam posted by pankey. A cam in that area will make your engine sound like a sick air compressor and you won't have any problem lugging, it'll kill plenty quick.

One of the advantages to a ground cam is that the valves will open at a faster rate, meaning less degrees of crankshaft rotation to get the valve open and in a range where it flows more air.You can also controll when the events happen by how the cam is ground and WHERE you position it, meaning how you time it to the crankshaft. I don't expect for a lot of people to understand how to measure out and degree a cam..... just don't take much previously posted information on this forum as it'll be a waste of your time. Spend $20 and buy a good book on these subjects.

I degree the cams, lock things togather and mark the gear when I send a cam out. Then there's little question. But people will still do something wrong, call and complain. Then once they get the plug wires back where they belong in the correct fireing order things are fine. Now I'm just giveing examples but i've learned a lot selling parts, never assume that everyone knows everything for sure. But those who are willing to learn will do well.

I've typically got some cams on hand if you want one, if you want some specs on what works well, I posted some recently, or send a pm pm, call sometime. I've gotten cams from certain grinders that just don't work well. It seams that everyone thinks lift is important and and wants as much as possible, it's better to have a little less with a little rounder nose, holding the valve at a lesser maximum height but for a longer period of time. Some engines are different, but you don't have to worry about these Allis is heads flowing much much air.

Edited by wi50 - 25 Aug 2013 at 10:12am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic