This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a good skid steer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a good skid steer
    Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:53pm
I am looking for a good skid steer to load pipe and heavy objects, push snow, and move around gooseneck trailers.  I don't know a lot about them.  I see a lot of Bobcats out there so was leaning that way.
I found an 873 with 2000 hours for $16K.  1998 and enclosed cab.  Are these a good unit to get assuming it is in good shape mechanically?

Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:01pm
Bobcat. handles a 6ft 26" deep material bucket like nothing

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:08pm
I have a 751 that I bought new in 2000 and it has been a good machine. Took it to a friend once to clean chicken houses and it was only gone from my farm a couple of days and I missed it BAD! They are a very handy machine. A 873 is a horse and I'm partial to Bobcats for they are the oldest established skid steer company and have a great background. Everyone and everyone makes skidsteers now. I have a material bucket and a toothed digging bucket, a set of forks(handy) and a root/brush grapple(super handy) for mine. I think you will be satisfied with this machine. Good Luck.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Redwood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:47pm
I owned a John deere when they were made the same as the new holland.  Nothing matchs it for visibililty, and the balance is good due to the way the bucket is mounted. You don't have the two towers at the back blocking you view.  I was very happy with it.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:32pm
I have a JD 7775 which is a rebadged NH and I love it. I bought it with over 3000 hours on it 4 years ago and it has been a dependable machine other than some electronic glitches.  The Yanmar diesel starts easy in the cold and is very economical...the wheelbase is longer than a Bobcat, so it isn't as bouncy, but it does turn hard on pavement. The last Bobcat I rented had so many safety features and electronic controls that it could barely turn a 2' post hole auger......
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 12:11am
35 or 40 series Gehl. I have used all others except NH. If you do your own maintenence, the Gehl really shines. We have had good luck with the Deutz oil cooled motors but some other people have had troubles. I like hand controls. I can't bend my ankles worth a darn and the manure and mud build up on and under foot pedals. Every company gives you just about every control configuration imaginable. I do believe that the Mustang is the only one that offers the T- handle though.
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:03am
I worked at a Bobcat dealer for 10 years. I have worked on them all and i liked Bobcat the best. All you need to do to service them is open the rear door or raise the boom put the boom stop in place and flip up the cab. You don't have to lay under them and remove a belly plate to drain the oil. If you have a dead battery again all you need to do is open the rear door and the battery is right there and easy to jump start. If i ever by a skid steer it wil be a Bobcat. The 873  are a very good machine. There was 1 owned by a pallet company that had around 20,000 hour on it. It wasn't the prettiest machine but it still was running.  The 873 uses a oil cooled Duetz engine that has a timeing belt and they should be replace every few thousand hours. If the belt does break it does not harm anything  major but does bend a few pushrods. Another thing that they like to do is blow out the head gasket. It seams that they only do this with the factory gasket and not the replacement.  Here again it does not harm anything but it will smoke alot since your burning engine oil.   Matt
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 6:58am
Spud -- Bobcat's are made right there in Gwinner N.D. 
MBWisc View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 7:45am
Gehl and NH.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:12am
There is not a better balanced machine that the NH . Looked at a lot of machines and when I bought my first one was a NH785 with
the Perkins engine . Ran that for 5 to 6 years with only one pump needing work.
 Replaced it with a JD of same style and was a total move backwards as the JD balance was different and in sand was useless.
 Lift height on the NH was the biggest advantage as had higher reach to load over side of trucks.Balance with a lifting load did not cause front end to tip forward.
 With the new so called universal mount system most attachments interchange between different mfg now which is a advantage for versatile finding of attachments to work between machines. If your going to be doing more than a couple different things look for a quick attach system so as you do not have to get out of machine to change implements.
 If you need attachments check sons page i have listed of his custom built things for skidloaders .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:31am
I have been told that the New Hollands get a lot of "slap" in them as they age because of so many pieces to the lift mechanism.  Is there any truth in that?  It would be used a lot on dry cement floors so the longer wheelbase of the NH might make it skid harder.
The Bobcats are popular around here.  It probably helps that they are built in the state as one poster said.
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:24am
Spud,  We have a NH 555 Deluxe.  They do have the longer wheel base, but not sure how it compares to other skidloaders on dry cement.  Ours spends most of it's time in the barnyard scraping manure.  They are nicer to load trucks because your booms move straight up allowing you to dump towards the center of the truck or manure spreader.  For the slop in the pins.....if you keep them greased you won't have much problems....i think alot of times poor maintenance is the reason.

One thing to keep in mind...not sure how much driving around you will be doing....but ground speeds and boom and bucket speeds vary greatly between all brands and models so test driving a few different brands and models is well worth it.
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:26am
I was able to borrow a JD 7775 to move some gravel around and inside the barn.  I thought it was better than sliced bread.  After doing the gravel I was looking for other stuff to pick up or push.  I was a little kid in a candy store.  Only other time I had more fun was when I drove dad's new 7045.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
chevy436 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevy436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:38am
I have a case 2004 60xt now has 3000hrs on it. has a 4b3.9cummins engine. The machine has been trouble free and I really like it. with pallet forks I can lift 2000lbs on a skid.I tried a john deere 320 demo a few years ago and didnt like it hydrolics were noisy and seemed gutless. have heard of electrical and engine problems. just my 2cents
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:41am
I have a Gehl CTL 60. Tracked machine, so it's not going to work for you on concrete. I think it is a great machine for dirt work. Yanmar water cooled diesel. Plenty of HP, and tracks give it great ground pressure to move a lot of dirt fast. It's also a two speed machine. If it were me, I would definitely get a two speed, as it will save you some time moving from place to place. Also would go with the full joystick controls in whatever you chose. They are much easier to operate and less fatigue on your feet/ankles than the stick steer with foot controls. Had a Bobcat 773 before this one, and it was a world of difference. Good luck.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 12:22pm
The bobcat's worked better for us in the chicken houses because the bucket raised higher per the boom height which was beneficial with the feeders and waterers winched up in the low ceiling houses. With that said,ALL skidsteers are a h---l of a lot better than a scoop shovel and wheelbarrow!!Big smileBig smileBig smile
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
D17 owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17 owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 12:34pm
I own a gehl 3510 I like that it old thow. We have a gehl 7810 at work that is nice to with a high/low in it. I ran a cat 226 witch I loved that all joy stick I also like case controls. I hate foot controls. I do like a foot throtle. Jd just dont do it for me father inlaw has a 320 with cab. I hate it, it's hard getting in and out of it. The door folds inside witch is a pain I just dont like them. He has a bobcat A300 with is in the shop more then the farm. Well good luck with whatever you buy.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm
Trick to any skid loader is to have something to skid on , a little sand or dirt on the surface to break the traction some.
 NH is a longer set on wheels but nothing lacking in handling and a lot gained in stability. I tried several machines on demo on one job site , had 5 different machines delivered and jumped from one to the other doing work. The cat machine with tracks was great but price ruled it out. Tracks are great if you work in rough areas as they smooth out the bumps and jars. 
 For putting in drainfields the skid loader worked great but when it came to mound septic systems needed tracks of some type to keep from compaction . When I just used the HD5G as was cheaper than buying tracks for the NH.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dscott View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:11pm
      I have ran several different machines and own a bobcat 863 and a new holland lx 865. Rated 1900# for the 863 and 2100# 865 and are good machines but each have the strong points the new holland will lift 4000 # before its gets so lite in the rear you can;t use it. The 863 does 2500# before it goes nose down. The bobcat is 18 inches shorter, and is more nimble. So I guess what I'm sayin is you need to know what you are gonna do with it.................When worked hard all day both use approx. the same amount of fuel.
dscott View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:14pm
    Its a good idea to stay away from any of them that have had tracks and polyfilled tires on them. Super hard on the case chains.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 1:52am
i don't own one...but have driven several...spent alot of time tipping forward ina bobcat...NH....seemed the most stable....neighbor had a JD and he kept having to replace engine mounts in it, he got rid of it and bought a case...that was a night/day difference to the better! i hear from alot of const people they like the gehl's the best, but i think they have quit making them!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:54am
New Holland, the best - John Deere copied them,,
jjpetrich View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjpetrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:14am
Bobcat has more of the important engine parts right where the back opens up which makes them eaiser to work on.
On the farm wd,wd45,180,200,7020,8010,8050,f,L2,2 b engines
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:25am
I rented a Bobcat once and really liked the hand controls. I used a NH with footcontrols on the farm (LS 180?) and it was OK but didnt like the foot controls because it was always packed full of manure. also the NH sucked when loading a spreader with manure because when you raised the bucket half of it would fall over the back of the bucket and land in the operator station.
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:28am
by the way.. just like compact trators they all seem to hold their value well. The local hardware store guy bought a Gehl 12 yrs ago for 38000./ he just traded it in last week and they allowed him 30000. pretty good investment.
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 9:43am
Another NH vote.  It's not very hard to tip the bucket forward while raising if the manure is spilling on you.  My Bobcat experience also is they like to tip.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 12:29pm
Our old NH 783 is a beast of a machine.  What ever you do, do not, buy a JD 320.  As mentioned earlier they are complete junk.  We have one where I work and it is the most gutless wonder in the world, and it constantly overheats.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
dscott View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by jjpetrich jjpetrich wrote:

Bobcat has more of the important engine parts right where the back opens up which makes them eaiser to work on.

You wouldn't say that if you had to put a pump drive and cooling fan belt on the 863 or come to thing the darn battery is a real pain to change as well. Case chain renewal is again less then a good time.
dscott View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Brian S(NY) Brian S(NY) wrote:

I rented a Bobcat once and really liked the hand controls. I used a NH with footcontrols on the farm (LS 180?) and it was OK but didnt like the foot controls because it was always packed full of manure. also the NH sucked when loading a spreader with manure because when you raised the bucket half of it would fall over the back of the bucket and land in the operator station.

Sounds like operator error to me. My NH doesn't have the bucket postioning feature that the Bobcat has but I have no trouble with material falling in the cab unless I severly overfill the bucket.
ironac View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 1:17am
Got a JD 7775 which is basically a NH but anyways love it to death. Also have a White 4-25-L that is used to get into small buildings and such. Works great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic