This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charr-Lynn Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charr-Lynn Power Steering
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:44pm
Ok guys I was wondering if everybody that has info about the Charr-Lynn power steering systems for the WD and WD45 could post it all here so we all can find it at some point.

I found a WD45 up the road from me that has the Charr-Lynn system on it...I would like to buy it and switch it all over to mine. I didn't look at it real good so I didn't notice the location of everything. Anybody have pics of the pump location and such?

When did the Charr-Lynn start being available for the WD & WD45? Are they a good system and do people like them? What are they like compared to the factory system?

Maybe this post could be locked if people posted up everything they know about these systems? I didn't find much in my searches. Thanks.

Edited by 79fordblake - 02 May 2012 at 7:45pm
Sponsored Links

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:52pm
Our 1950 WD has the charlynn system on it. It is a pretty good system and parts are still available through a company called "Force America". You had to cut the steering shaft and install the torque motor and mount the pump up front with the two hoses. I cant imagine driving a WD or other AC tractor without power steering!!!! Our buddy keeps a Farmall H out at our farm and that non power steering tractor is a joy to drive!!! Why were the Allis Chalmers such a bear to drive without power steering??? Ryan
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:28pm
I sold a system to a neighbor and after he had it installed, I got these pictures of the installation.  They may or may not help but they are what they are.

This is a view from the pump showing the pump pulley and you can see the oil reservoir on the left of the picture

This would be looking from the seat at the reservoir and how it is mounted.

This is a wide view of the tractor from the right side.

This would be a close up of the power head as installed in the steering shaft. Note the bends in the throttle rod necessary to get around the power head.

This is a close up the the mounting of the power head.

I had a hard time figuring out what this was but it is the pump mounting bracket on the left front side of the engine.  This may be clear as mud. LOL

This is the view of the pump as mounted.  Picture was from the left side of the tractor.

This picture from the right front showing a side view of the pump and the oil reservoir.

That's all I have.  Since I have removed them and also install one unit....these pictures would be enough to help me get one on a tractor.  Hope they may help someone else.   Den of D & R AC Parts

Own 4 wheel 20, 2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:29pm
They still make them. Eaton owns Char Lynn. Their pumps were on Ford and Chrysler cars in the 50's.
The hydrostatic steering on all Allis Chalmers tractors and a most others is made by Eaton and is the Char Lynn unit,
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:14pm
    Those are some great pictures Den, for being "what they are". Thanks for posting them, I am sure you will help countless people.
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:49pm
Thanks for the great pictures. Keep the info coming everyone this post is going to be helpful to alot of people and me. The Charr-Lynn requires a double groove crank pulley doesn't it?
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:53pm
Here is a picture of the NOS Char-Lyn kit that I have, and no it is not for sale.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:19am
Big John! Yer' such a teaser!!   LMAO!!  Big smile
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Ryan Renko Ryan Renko wrote:

I cant imagine driving a WD or other AC tractor without power steering!!!! Our buddy keeps a Farmall H out at our farm and that non power steering tractor is a joy to drive!!! Why were the Allis Chalmers such a bear to drive without power steering??? Ryan

Because they are 50+ years old and the whole steering system needs attention once in awhile. I thought the CA steered hard till I tore everything apart, cleaned and lubed allSmile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
1947WC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947WC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:11pm
I have a leak, where the hoses bolt to the steering unit. There are 2 O rings in there. Is there a gasket there too? Thanks.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
1947WC, I don't have my manual in front of me but I am assuming with two o-rings there would not be a gasket. I will try to look further. Ryan
1947WC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947WC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:00pm
Thank you so much Ryan.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:41am
The factory unit for a WD was a Behlen's valve with an Eaton (Charlynn) pump.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic