This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Implement paint? What have you used?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Implement paint? What have you used?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
Have multiple implements to paint up, and might get started in a couple weeks depending on what else is going on.

What is the best implement paint, for cost and durability, also non-fading?

Anyone have a good match for PO#1 and #2?

I would like a good paint, but don't want to spend money on PPG or automotive paint really. The SC equipment I have, will get scratched eventually.

thanks!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:32pm
I've had good luck with Van Sickle on implements, not an automotive finish and it doesn't fade bad if the implement is in the shed most of the time.
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 4:06pm
2nd on van sickle
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:39pm
 Don, I built this utility trailer in 99, with used steel salvaged from an aircraft hanger left over when Kincheloe AFB closed.    When the welding and grinding were done I sandblasted, primed and painted with X-O Rust  from true value hardware.  Adheres very well but it has lost its gloss. The products I used were alkyd enamel. Due to climate change, Al Gore and the EPA , I don't think that  the newer , cheap paints would hold up this well.  But if you can get some xo rust, try it.  Gary

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 9:24pm
I have heard of van sickle on here before, what hardware store carries this paint? I don't think I have seen this paint locally.

Gary, dang nice trailer, looks good!

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 3:54am
Google Van Sickle, on the site is a dealer locator, using your Zip code
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 5:50am
They have a near perfect match to Persian Orange1.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 6:05am
Looked all over the site, and could not find a dealer locator??

Dave, you don't happen to know the paint code match for PO #1? thanks!

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:08am
I also like the Van Sickle they have a hardner that goes with it helps with gloss and durability. I get mine at a Fleet Farm store and special order PO 1 . One must remember it's still hardware store paint and will not last like automotive paint, however as said if kept under cover will do well.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:24am
I have used the Valspar Restoration Series paint on several rehabs. Am not a painter and am color blind; however it went one very nice and looks good. Did 2 coats with no hardner and final coat with hardner (advice from a real good painter). Purchased the paint at Fleet Farm.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:55am
I purchase Van Sickle paint at Orshelins.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:29am
At work we are using Majic paint with Wet Look hardener. When it drys we scuff it and put on a Urethane Clear. Seems to be working great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic