This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

499 New Holland Haybine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 499 New Holland Haybine
    Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:15am
I know it is the wrong color but you all have good info.  I am looking at a 499 haybine and I need a good honest opion on it. I know they don't have augers and I think that is one less moving part.  It is a 12 ' is that the largest made.  I have been told that they are not a heavy built machine compared to a 1475 new holland.  And I will be cutting at least 600 acres of thin short hay.  Also was told that a twin auger machine feeds better faster and makes a nicer windrow.  Also are they a fast cutting machines compared to other sickle drive machines.  And do they do well in heavy material. Not many around here and are always priced a lot cheaper than other machines.  I have only ran hesstons and some deere been very happy with the hesstons.
Thanks
Moonlighter
Sponsored Links

leoversteeg11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoversteeg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:35am
I use to own one that I bought new.As long as you are cutting thin dry stuff you should be fine. Cutting heavy, wet legume crops like clover or alfalfa can befrustrating. The sickle bar on that machine is split in two halves,and they are driven from each end.I always had trouble where the sickles overlap in the middle;wet crops would bunch up between the guards and the knife sections. We normally cut about 200 acres 3x and every year we would replace both knife assemblies ;nothing like a sharp knife. After that machine we reluctantly went to 12ft discmower and I would NEVER GO BACK. Cutting hay used to take all day to get anything done, now I can cut  the same amount in a couple hours.The 499 was our first hydroswing machine and I will always buy that option .
bakwoodsfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 7:26pm
I LOVE THEM, had one for 5 years now with NO trouble, they don't like wet crops, crabgrass, or real short grass. I can mow at about 5 mph and cover about 150 acres 3 times a year. Crabgrass will bunch up behind the cutter bar and then pull it through the rollers all at one time. In real short grass the center that overlaps on the cycle will miss a strip down the middle. I love the hydro-swing, can mow off both sides. Maybe will move on to a disk mower but will never leave the hyro-swing behind.
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:28pm

Never had a 499 but just wanted to add after I bought a Hesston discbine last year, I would never use a sickle mower again. The disbine takes less than half the time to mow the same fields.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:19am
I have to agree with Dave, once you get a disk machine, you will never go back.  I still have a 499 that I need to sell as I just never use it after I got a Hesston 1345 hydroswing diskbine.  I had the same troubles as mentioned above but my machine was rode hard and put away wet before I got it.  It was an improvement over the Hesston 1014 with that auger that gave trouble and a great improvement over the JD 1380 I had earlier.  I still don't think JD knows how to build hay equipment and when I went to the JD/Hesston dealer to talk diskbines, he convinced me the Hesston was much better (and slightly cheaper) then the JD.  Around here NH has the biggest market share but Hesston is an easy #2, JD may be #3 but way down the list of #3.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Moonlighter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 6:42am
Thanks for the info I am in rock country not sure that a discbine is the answer or do they hold up fine only ran deere mocos and in thin grass it won't cut it off cuts most but leaves some behind.  Does the hesston do this? Not a large amount but looks bad for a custom operator.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 8:58pm
For 600 acres I would have nothing less than a 15ft discbine, 12 ft. at least.  Why mow at 5 mph when you can mow at 15?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:45pm
I don't have many rocks but what few I hit don't do much damage, however I'm not talking about boulders either.  If you have a lot of sharp rocks that will break a cycel bar mower, it's going to do damage to the diskbine, mainly because you are going faster.  The blades on a diskbine are fairly easy to replace (a whole lot easier then a mower bar).  Either type of mower has a spring float system so if you have more rocks you adjust with more spring tension so it will float over the rock, problem is you miss more hay that way. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:49pm
  the only thing i can say is that if you have alot of gophers and moles a disc bine can make some dirty hay but that is not the machines fault.  all you  guys with discbines how much fuel per acre does it take to cut 3ton per acre hay?    repairing a bad pod on a disc bine on the older units can be expensive.  i would only go with new or close to new discbine.  i cut a couple of pivots of nice alfalfa with a 1499 i think it was . no augers just that crazy reel.  i loved the wide windrow it left in the field .   my brother ran a 499 hydrow swing for years and loved it.

Edited by farmer0_1 - 04 Apr 2012 at 11:50pm
Moonlighter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the info any one want to come and cut hay in what is called dry land in MT grew up in central WI  a couple of extremes. But yes a disbine won't work and it will be a hesston or a macdon machine.
Thanks
Moonlighter
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:02am
just came back from bozeman last week.   spring break in oregon for my kid anyway.
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:32pm
The discbine doesn't plug up every time I hit a gopher hole like the JD Moco did and the XT uses the same amount of fuel per hour with the  discbine or JD moco, but it only takes half the time with the discbine thus half the fuel. I'd think my discbine would go over any rock that my JD moco would go over. The cutting height can be set higher, basically the front is tilted up.

Edited by DaveCinIN - 06 Apr 2012 at 11:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic