This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brake adjustment wd45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake adjustment wd45
    Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
I replaced some trans gears in my wd45 and I am going back together with it now.  I have the final drives back in and the brakes on.  The manual says to use the rear set screw center the brakes around the drum.  Since i cant see much what is the best way to center them or how to know when they are centered?
thanks
johnny
Sponsored Links

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:25pm
If you take the inspection brake covers off that are held on by the two bolts up top you can see better. Make sure the rear set screw seats in the rear shoe properly and just center them up. Ryan
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:26pm
It goes something like this......you tighten the nut on top to get the shoe clearance tightened up so you get the pedal travel you need,then you use the set screw in the back side to move the assembly to a position which ends up with both shoes traveling the same amount to touch drum. You have to work the pedal and watch the shoes move to decide which one is moving the most and adjust accordingly. Can be a little tricky in that you see more of one than the other and the way things move in there is a bit deceptive. Pay attention and don't get fooled. If you don't get it close(and close is okay-don't have to be perfect) you will have one shoe dragging the drum and wear it out quickly. This is all done with the covers off. Hope that helps. Any time you adjust the free play you need to check the shoe travel and readjust the set screw if necessary.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 05 Feb 2012 at 10:29pm
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:31am
Jack the wheel off the ground so you can turn it while you are doing the adjustment
johnny View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:13pm
Thanks for the input.  I am gone for the week, but when i get home plan pn adjusting them up. 

thanks
johnny
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:39pm
I'm "bumping" this up for your info.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 11:05am
I am giving this a bump, as the there is a lot of excellent info in such a short post. Perhaps the admin team will see fit to move this topic to the knowledge base subsection.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 6:53am
I have seen many where the tab broke off the brake shoe so the set screw will not center the shoe. Something to check. If you need brake parts I have a shelf full.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic