This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC chisel plow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC chisel plow?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:48pm
Hey I am looking at an 8 shank AC chisel plow on Craigslist, I have never used one before (only mold board)  Are parts readily available for AC chisel plows? (I assume they are basically off the shelf type stuff) Though from the pics the guy emailed me, it's points look funny, I googled it and came up with "slash points" but they look off-set almost like the plow shins off of a mold board...

I couldn't find any pics online that look like the plow... and the Clist ad doesn't have pics..
Anyone have pics they'd like to share?
Thanks
Jonathan
G tractor and an All Crop 66
Also Kubota MX5100F and M9540HD12
Sponsored Links

ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:56pm
I have a AC MODEL 410 CHISEL PLOW i like it fine but some parts like shanks are hard to find i broke one this fall but found one in salvage yard to fit it. but you can get shovels at any Farm &Home. ps go to YOU-TUBE and type in ALLIS CHALMERS CHISEL PLOW YOU WILL GET "LIVE ACTION"

Edited by ctbowles58 - 26 Jan 2012 at 9:58pm
Italy Hill Produce View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:20pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:21pm
Can you guys see the pic I posted?

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:22pm
Twisted points on that one. Need some ponies to pull that around here. Tracy Martin
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Italy Hill Produce Italy Hill Produce wrote:

that looks like a 600 series same as the 400 series only 3pt. hitch. 400 is pull type.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:36pm
Same shanks as my 1600 pull type. I pull 9 shanks with my 190XT. Mine have a straight chisel point, about the same width as the shank.  Mine started out with 22 shanks, so I have some spare parts.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
David (in Mi.) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David (in Mi.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:43am
Those in the picture are twisted reversable shovels, you can buy those at local john deere store, they also have straight shovels in all different sizes, width, and lenght. Getting shovels is the eazy part, but getting shanks or speical parts will be the hard part just like previously noted above may be the hard part.
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:44pm
That is a model 1600.  We used one just like that very hard for 20 years.  Dealer did custom NH3 application with it before we bought it.  It's been through all kinds of conditions - rocks, frozen ground, mounted on 7080, etc. and never have broken a shank.  We did break one of the lower 3pt mounts and had to weld it.  Remember we were also pulling a 1000 gallon NH3 tank behind it!

The innovators offer what others will imitate.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:09pm
Yes Italy Hill pic came through loud and clear. I bought one identical to it around 1983. When I raised the gauge wheels so they'd dig in a foot the old 1566 really barked!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:59pm
Thanks for all the replies!
Yeah I picked it up yesterday, in Batavia NY, (2 hours NW of me) It has 8 shanks, and gauge wheels (not pictured). The guy explained the points, I think I'm going to put strait ones on, and I'll probably have to remove 2 shanks to pull it... The biggest tractor on our farm is an IH 884 which I believe is a 70 HP 2wd with loader.. I've always heard people say you should have a minimum of 10 hp per shank...

Today I went to Boonville NY and picked up a 13' soil perfecta 2 :) So hopefully our soil and veggies will thank us this year... :)
Jonathan
dualquads View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dualquads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 11:30pm
As far as shovels, measure your bolt spacing then check with sloanex.com or shoupparts.com

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:37am
Thanks guys! Anyone know what kind of HP I should be pulling this with?
What about the difference in HP requirements between the 4" twist points, and regular 2" points?
Thanks
Jonathan
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:32am
I always thought the 2" straight points pulled heavier than the 3" twisted we have now. I'd try it with all the shanks first before I removed any. You might be fine with your soil type.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:01pm
I am going to start by flipping them over, as in the pic they look sunk into the ground.. They really are just worn off... Picked up 16 plow bolts and nuts, 3X 7" sweeps for the soil perfecta, and some plow bolts for the sweeps too today. Getting ready for spring :)

If I get started and can't pull it I'll drop a couple shanks.. It is funny what you hear people suggest.. One guy will say 10 hp per shank, the next guy will say 20... One guy will say use 4" the next 3" the next 2" each one saying the other takes more power... :)

It's funny how many different recipes there are for plowing..
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:04pm
Our 12 shank with 2" straights pulled about right with a 7040 (135 PTO hp).  We were running about 10" deep.  I think you'd be O.K. to try with 8 shanks on a 80 hp tractor.
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:16am
11 shank with 3 inch twisted shovels is what we run the 8030 will do ok but best results are with the 7080 that is turning upwards of 200.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic