This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency Home Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency Home Generator
    Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:48am
I've been looking into buying a generator for home use in power outages. I'm looking at the 5KW to 7KW range with enough power to run my well pump, oil burner, kitchen refrig, and a couple of lights in the house. There seems to be all kinds of stuff out there with prices from about $700-$1700 new. There also seems to be tons of used ones out there also. What do some of you suggest? Whats is desirable and what to stay away from? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:09am
Stay away from big box stores.

I have a Honda, 4200 I believe.  I think it's under rated.  I run 2 frigs, a freezer, and the rest of the house, TV, PC's etc.  I don't run anything with coils, Dryer, water heater, stove or oven.  It also runs the propane furnace, and well pump.

I have been running it for a few years now and have never had a problem.  Came with electric start, Just hook my jumper box to it and away we go.

My first was a Coleman from Home Depot, threw a rod right thru the side of the block. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:19am

I just asked that same question to a guy I know who is an electrician. I'd say you're probably right on size wise. I have a portable that I use here that's 6K surge 5K continuous. I'm thinking of upgrading to a hardwired unit that starts automatically and runs on LP. LP costs less than gas and doesn't go bad and clog the carb. They're a little pricey to buy and install, but no custom cords or other non compliant "procedures".

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:46am
Portable generators is one of those places where you get what you pay for. I'd stay away from the ones in the big box stores that are priced under $2000. I have a Honda 3000si that is absolutely tops. I also have a PTO unit for the farm that will run everything that I need to run. The generator will be the least expensive part of your installation if you do it properly. Call your favorite electrician and your power company and get the requirements and cost to set up your generator, you will be glad you did.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:00am
I've got a 7000watt 12500watt surge with electric start.  Genrac brand 11hp B&S.  Keep the gas tank dry and you won't have any carb problems.  I pull mine out one time a year and put a quart of gas it in then let it run until it's out of gas then change the oil and put it back in storage.  If you get an electric start make sure the battery has a trickle charger on it as you don't want a dead battery when it's time to use it for real.  Get the biggest tank for it you can find.  Mine has 8 gallons and will run 12 hours on a tank.  Keep 15 gallons of gas on hand at all times either in a tractor or in cans.  I keep three five gallon cans full and use it for the mowers to keep it cycled through and fresh.  I've had mine for 10 years and needed it three times for a few days each.  If you are going to use it for long periods very often then maybe go for a high dollar one with a Honda engine but for occasional use like mine a $1000 unit is just fine IMHO.
For load mine will run two full size refrigerators, all the lights, microwave, furnace, ceiling fans, TV's and hot water heater. 

Edited by Stan IL&TN - 01 Nov 2011 at 9:03am
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:05am
I dont think there is a fits all answer. Capacity = comfort but also = fuel usage. How long you can afford to be comfortable and what exactly is "comfort" varies with all of us. A diesel prime mover helps in that the fuel uasge will be more in line with actual wattage consumed as compared to similar sized gasoline of LP engines. In other words with a diesel you can up size for comfort during the day and not pay as stiff a penalty in fuel usage when it runs all night doing little. The downside to diesel is up front cost. Fuel storage and life is also a concern, LP or natural gas wins here hands down, diesel second, gasoline dead last by a mile.  We have two diesel units, both home built. A fuel sipping 3KW continuous 5KW surge and a 12/15 for when we want to be comfortable. They suit our needs and budget well.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:54am
I would go with a Generac outside unit,hook to propane tank,transfer switch,all automatic,10,000 watt about $2800.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Rich Steiner View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Steiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:27am
I agree with Bob.  I have been an Electrican for 40 years and I suggest not to go under 8kw The 10 kw is about right for an average home.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
I have a 50s vintage Onan with a Continental Y-91 engine (21 hp). This week I'm working on getting it set on a platform with casters so I can move it around in the shed for easier maintenance but can move it to take up less space when not used. I've had it more than 30 years. I replaced the mechanical gas pump with an electric for much easier starting on gasoline. Its a dual fuel, will run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline, even coal gas. The engine is way over sized so it will run full load on coal gas of poor quality. It came from the county hospital and the inside was as clean as the pictures in the manual from running on natural gas some 30 years.

I have modified the carburetor a bit, it had a fixed high speed jet and would burn a couple gallons gasoline per hour even at no load. I dropped a thermocouple down the exhaust pipe after making an adjustable high speed jet and leaned to raise the exhaust temperature about 450 F and now it gets along at just over 1/2 gallon per hour.

Its 120 only, so the electric stove and the dryer didn't work where I last used it. And I unplugged the hot water heater. Then it ran furnace, water pump, and lights. While its good for continuous service and I have run it 24 hours for ham radio Field Day, my procedure was to run it and the furnace with the the furnace thermostat set for 80 F. When the furnace caught up with the thermostat, I shut down the generator, and went to a kerosene lamp (Alladin) for reading or went to bed. When the house got down to 40 F, I cranked up the generator and repeated the cycle. Wasn't as comfortable as having line power, but extended the fuel on hand. I did gather the materials to plumb it to propane but haven't yet accomplished that and by all rules need a couple new regulators to make that safe.

The new place is much better insulated and in the two years I've owned it, few power outages have been long while I was home. It can go hours without too great a temperature drop, but came with a built in transfer switch and underground cable to the shed. I also have a Honda 2000 which is quite portable that I have used on occasion as a "gasoline" extension cord for using power tools around the yard and I have made up a cable that will connect it to the transfer switch cable if I need it.

Keeping fuel on hand is vital to the benefits of the standby generator and its important to rotate gasoline. Often when the outage is extended its over a large area and the roads are drifted with snow so even if I could drive, the nearby stations don't have power to pump gas. Propane would be very handy in that situation.

Over the last 41 years that I've lived outside towns, the quality of rural power in Iowa has improved considerably. There are more substations and so they expose fewer miles of distribution to failure when a tree limb takes down the power and those substations gradually got closer to the house accompanying urban sprawl.

Gerald J.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:37am
That stuff about the big box stores under 2000.00 is a crock.
I have 6000w with a Briggs from home depot on sale from 879.00 down to 549.00. I told my neighbor about the price and he bought one also.
Both are 8 years old, run many times a year sometimes for days on end and they are still both running fine.
I had to get a new carburetor. Old one is plugged inside and I can not get it cleaned out. Teach me to remove the fuel filter and run it before I put a new one back on.

If I was going to buy another one it would be this one.

http://www.peakpowertools.com/Portable-Generator-Peak-8000-Watt-Generator-p/gpp8000.htm
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:46am
Why is this in the Farm Equipment:
Everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment forum.

I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:12am
As posted above about keeping the carburetor dry is ok unless moist air get's in it.
It will then oxidize the aluminum and form a white powder.
This powder will cause you alot of problems inside the carburetor.
The needle valve will seem likes it's welded in and you will have to remove it with pliers with some effort.

The best way to prevent this if you want to store with a dry carburetor is first remove the bowl and make sure there isn't any water in the bottom of it.

Cover the intake and exhaust with platic wrap and then with aluminum foil to try to keep moist air out.
Do this on a cold engine. If the engine is warm from running you could trap moisture inside it.

I have seen many carburetors that were stored dry a white powdery mess inside of them along with rust on the bottom of the bowl and any other metal parts just from moist air getting in.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 12:47pm
After each outage, my wife is in the mood to get a backup generator.  I will need at least 8KW because we have to pump water.  Am trying to leverage it into a Combo Welder-Generator.  Nice thing is it will get a lot of use and not be "stale" when the outage comes.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 3:20pm
Miller bobcat welder.  10kw with 12.5 surge.  Works good for building sucker rod fence too.  that keeps the gas fresh. 
thomas davison View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas davison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 3:39pm
  I have a Generec 10000 natural gas.  I believe this is the way to go.  It is automatic and exercises itselft each week for 12 minutes.  Built in battery charger.  Cost is about 3000 plus plumbing for gas (or propane) and electric work.  About 4000 when all done, but if you look at any other, with any kind of auto hookup, plus if a gas engine, you have to keep a lot of gasoline around, the Generec looks the best to me.  If you are older, as I am, I can not go outside when it is cold and wrestle a generator around, and be sure I have enough galoline.  Auto switchover is needed to be sure that you do not have a hookup that is illegal and may electrocute a lineman. 
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 3:41pm
I bought one of these during Hurricane Irene.  Chinese Honda clone.  It is not bad, starts easily and has plenty of power.  Only downside so far is that it is loud.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 5:01pm
My Honda 2500 (yes it is small) specifically said the warranty was no good if you stored it WITHOUT gas in the carb!  So, I buy 5 gallons at a time, mix in some Stable, and store it tank full!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 6:04pm
50 KW on a 7020,   
16 KW on a 175 AC,   
We have dual power service set up here, well is on the grain system's service, house is on seperate service,
I would not want any less than 10 KW for a house, and if you have a heat pump or electric heat that will not be enough.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:43pm
I bought a 13kw pto generator to run my house, deep well, geo-thermal unit portable welder and so on. I can run my whole house with my CA. Now that I have it, I hope I dont need it. 
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:54pm
As someone said there a lot of variables. Stand by auto start up to drag it out start it up and hook it up.

If you would be happy with drag out and hook up, you could have a generator only, no power unit, and run it with your favorite Orange Tractor. If you run it with a tractor with many more horses than needed you can belt/gear it so the tractor engine does not need to turn full RPMs, burn less fuel. Also engine is being used regularly and ready to go, no stale gas, dead mag, dead battery.

Just be sure you use a transfer switch.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:26am
i have a 90,000 watt Kohler for sale!!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:55am

Shameless, the way your luck is going you better hold on to that...

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:27am
90,000???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:35am
From John MI

Stay away from big box stores.
My first was a Coleman from Home Depot, threw a rod right thru the side of the block.

From what I get out of what you are saying is that if you bought it from a generator dealer it would still be running but since you bought it from Home Depot it was junk.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:41am
Good to know.
I'll be watching for the rod to fly out of the Briggs engine on my generator I bought at Home Depot.

Nobody in the state could touch their price.
Campbell Hausfeld 6000w with a 10hp Briggs.
Sticker $879.00 Sale Price $549.00
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:48am
I get double duty from mine.  It is a 10kw generator/gasoline powered welder by Thermalarc, it is a Predator series and I can backfeed through a conventional welding outlet for up to 50amps service flow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:00am
That will do it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:21am
Phil N, Don't mess around with those little generators.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I can backfeed through a conventional welding outlet for up to 50amps service flow.

Not legally! Guys working on power lines have gotten killed by people doing this and forgetting to disconnect the main breaker.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:41am
Sorry I left out my link from my previous post:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419025_200419025
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic