This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel won't start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel won't start
    Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 5:03am
Won't start without a shot of starting fluid anyway. This tractor, off color, 5000 Ford has had very little if any use last 6 years. Put on new voltage regulator, charged battery time will tell if battery is still good. Starts with ether but not on it's own. Don't see any glow plugs. How about changing fuel filters? Could they be so plugged from setting for years that injection pump can,t get enough fuel for pressure to start? Other ideas?
Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:19am
I would go through and replace all the fuel filters, drain it all down and put fresh fuel in it.  I had the same problem with my HD3 and that sat for 5-6 years from the last time it ran.   Worst part was the injector pump was run dry and allowed to sit, so I ended up having to have the pump rebuilt.   Once rebuilt and put back on, it didn't take long to get up and running.   Also, if the battery sat dead for a long time, take it off and set somewhere safe and put a battery charger on it, and let it run for an hour or so on jumpstart cycle or high charge, whatever your charger has.   It will cook off the plates in the battery and maybe come back to life.   It was recommended on here by a few people and since I started doing it, I have revived about 75% of the batteries that I have tried it on.   Good luck.
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:12am
It won't start here either.
This is the Allis Chalmers section.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:04am
You need a couple of things for a diesel to start easily--------good compression and good fuel atomization.  If fresh fuel, clean filters, and good  cranking rpm don't result in good starting, I would pull the injectors and have them checked and do a compression check while the injectors are out.

Oh yes, for good cranking rpm, I would recommend using Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo diesel oil or something similar.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:54am
Speaking of compression check, will a starter in good working order spin a diesel fast enough for an accurate compression test?
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:12pm
yes bull it will do just fine
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:46am
Sounds like an old tired engine. If I remember right that has a CAV pump, not known for good cold starts.  I wouldnt spend much on it as its kinda the nature of the beast in my opinion.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:06am
If that has a SIMMS/MINIMEC inline pump, there is a start fuel button to push, but since most people who have those pumps don't know it has its own oil sump, linkages are probably rusted up. If its a DPA rotary pump, the head in the pump could be worn out. While it's cranking, does it produce exhaust smoke? Every start hard? hot/cold? good luck. Ed
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic