This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm making smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm making smoke
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:30pm
The D17D overhaul seems to have hit a snag. It makes a small amount of blue smoke cranking. It turns as fast as it ever did. If I feed it a whiff of ether it tries to run and makes alot of smoke and dies. That small whiff was always enough to fire it off in the coldest weather. I'm 99% certain the fuel system is fully primed. I put the engine in the tractor with the timing cover off and the pump drive gear off the cam. I spun the pump by hand until fuel shot out of all 6 lines. With the timing pin in place with the engine on #1 compression stroke, I put the gear on and lined up the marks. I also removed the window cover and rotated the pump til the marks were lined up.
Only thing I can think of is the pump timing is not right. Before I pull the front cover back off to check my timing, is there anything else I should be looking at?
The good news is I have the oil pressure relief valve close, it builds pressure like it used to cranking.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 01 May 2011 at 4:33pm
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:39pm

Inj pump is 180 degrees out of time.

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:18pm

Thanks Doc, that was what I was thinking, just didn't want to take the front apart again. The pump shaft can only go one way can't it? I couldn't get lucky and slip the pump off, turn the crank 1 turn and slide the pump back in place can I?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:21pm
Should be able to remove pump and rotate engine one full turn and reinstall the pump.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:26pm
I always wondered why they didn't make a little offset or keyway in the back of the shaft tang so it only went into the pump drive only one way.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:26pm
I always wondered why they didn't make a little offset or keyway in the back of the shaft tang so it only went into the pump drive only one way.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:37pm
I better go buy a lottery ticket cause normally my luck is all bad. So now that I'm thinking about it, I should have taken the cover off the timing window and turned it around to where both marks were visible huh?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:20pm
Yup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic