This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 180D Front End

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 180D Front End
    Posted: 24 Oct 2024 at 6:28pm
Back when I first got the tractor, late 2005, I worked the extendable front axles loose as were frozen in place, Tie Rods were already loose in Ball Ends so also replaced those and had one Cracked the other loose on spindle steering arms.  Bought what could find thru a Local AGCo Dealer and thought received good parts in 2006.  No so good as it ends up.

Last few years had issues with Outer Tie Rod ends coming loose in Arms and having to retighten nuts, Cotter pins ended up outside the castle nuts, then noted they were wiggling IN the taper hole in the arm.  Pulled loose as was fighting Locust Thorn Flats last week to find the holes wallowed out.  Tie Rod Ends are ALL loose in sockets so ordered new tie rods and Steer Arms.  Tie Rods came from Reliable Aftermarket Parts and to me appear heavier than the last ones.  The Steer Arms came from All States AG Parts, are not simple Castings as my last ones, these are Forged and Machined included the Axle Drift hole to slide the axles in or out.  Will grab photos as get it fully apart and back together.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2024 at 7:25pm
Are you using a 1/2" impact wrench to tighten those tie rod ends into the tapered holes ??
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:49am
Nope
As with any tie rod tighten with a 3/8 air ratchet, check torque on nut and align cotter pin. These do not need to be hammered into place.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 46 minutes ago at 6:47am
They do when they keep working loose. I'm just saying.......seen it before.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 51 minutes ago at 8:42am
Those tie rod ends run out of threads if they have been loose and get a little wear. I have found to get them tight, put a washer that is big enough to fit over the taper, not just the bolt threads. And then tighten it down.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 36 minutes ago at 8:57am
Agreed. I too have added a hard flat washer between the nut and arm on some to make it stay tight from being loose. Tightening with a 3/8" air ratchet won't get it there. A cheap 1/2" impact gun will. You CAN overdo it and break things off I suppose, but tighter is better.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 43 minutes ago at 1:50pm
Clean and roughen the tapered bore.
 Tape the threads of the tie rod with one wrap of electrical tape. 
 Coat the tapered end of the tie rod with release agent (wax).
Smear some Belzona 1111 (Super Metal) or Belzona 1221 (Ceramic R Metal) inside the bore and on  the taper of the tie rod.  Insert into tie rod into the bore.  Place a socket on the  top of the tie rod give a light tap with a hammer.  
Let the Belzona cure about 20 minutes. Carefuly remove excess Belzona, without moving the tie rod.
Remove the tape off the threads.
After the Belzona cures (using cure times from the instruction sheet), clean up any excess.  Torque the tie rod nut.

I have used Belzona for irregular shims in a multitude of applications.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 47 minutes ago at 6:46pm
Sockets on tie rods took a beating, are getting changed, will take the arms off as well as have new. Run this on county road more often than not so do not feel comfortable patching steering.
Got tie rods off today, holes in the arms are close to .130 oversize to taper on new ones. Fo appreciate all the suggestions, had run the same thought myself but depend of the old girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic