This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doc’s always right!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doc’s always right!
    Posted: 23 hours 14 minutes ago at 5:12am
I have spent a few hours the past 2 days rotovating headlands, dead furrows and lands with my 190XT serial #28055XTD. I only put maybe 15 hours on her each year now in our haying business as the seven thousand series are mostly used. But she reminded me these last few hours what a beautiful invention she was! I was at college at Cornell University starting in 1971 when I first heard the words 190 XT Series Three…by my room mate Tony whose father had just bought one. I’ll never forget the way Tony’s eyes lit up when he said “now that’s a real tractor!” Enjoying every minute with her now I can only imagine the excitement she stirred up back in the day when folks got to see, drive and hear her work with all of her “firsts” in the new tractor market. She still does everything I ask of her very very well. As Dr Allis says…”Ah…the MIGHTY ONE NINETY!”

Edited by captaindana - 23 hours 12 minutes ago at 5:14am
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 54 minutes ago at 5:32am
For sure! My XT will bring a smile to my face every time I operate it. When I was growing up, everyone around me had a little different perspective on Allis Chalmers though, negativity towards them. My brother worked for a neighbor who had a 190 XT gas. Evidently he didn't understand the concept of the power director, and was always bitter towards the lack of live PTO. Back then, I didn't know the wiser. So about the time I was first getting into Allis tractors, someone told me how much they liked big round baling with their XT. I kind of had to scratch my head and asked him how he could possibly like a tractor without live PTO for big round baling. He then explained the power director to me, and how when he was tying the bale, he could just throw the PD in neutral and not have to hold the clutch in the whole time. Made sense. So later on in life, when I moved to the farm and actually had lots of baling to do myself, I was on the hunt for an XT. Found a straight one ninety gas first, because the price was right. It didn't have the power it needed to round bale, but nonetheless, a sweet tractor. Because of it's lack of power, I second guessed myself on buying an XT, thinking it might be a little weak for the baler too. But when an XT diesel came along later on for the right price, I snatched it up and have never regretted it. Probably baled 15 to 20 thousand bales with it since I have owned it, and lack of power has NEVER been a problem. I've since had to have the engine rebuilt, and Ed did some magic to the pump, and that only made it better. Pure joy to operate. Doc's correct!
Darrel
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 47 minutes ago at 8:39am
Darrel, this is one of the most common put-downs of Allis tractors out there. My guess is that most of those spouting it have never ran a tractor with a power director.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 49 minutes ago at 9:37am
Hydraulic PTO option was a big plus if you are lucky enough to have one ordered with it. As well as a PD working correctly allowing you to shift gears (quickly) without depressing the foot clutch. I've round baled hay with my 200 for hours at a time without ever touching the foot clutch and that was back when you had to back-up every time to dump a bale.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 39 minutes ago at 9:47am
Can’t express enough how much I like my XT. Grew up D series so the PD I has always been familiar to me. I can remember a Series 3 at our local dealer when I was young and told my dad it was a big tractor! At the time it was. I always wanted one and finally in 2016 I bought one. It is a great hay baling tractor and I love running it. It handles a 4 bottom plow and 2300 disk with no problem. Definitely one of AC’s best inventions.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 11 minutes ago at 3:15pm
Remember in 1971 looking for a tractor, tried several different brands, ready to buy an XT when neighbor had a sale, bought a 1968 D21 with 800 hours instead.  Still would like an XT someday. 
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic