This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6B Idler Rub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokin Iron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6B Idler Rub
    Posted: 22 Oct 2024 at 5:09pm
What would make the idler rub? Also please advise on how to lube idler if possible.
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2024 at 5:47pm
You could check your guide plate  and the track idler  slide bar each side from idler these could be worn and if you idler have no greace fitting you could drill a hole and instale one
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2024 at 6:53pm
The idler is held parallel on truck frame by wear plates which are held in place by dowel pins through truck frame ears . The full truck wheel and bearings is pushed forward by yoke of track adjuster that is dowel pinned to axle housing which is held true to truck frame by internal machined slide area - top and bottom of the axle housings .
 Bad bearings , bent axle , worn slide wear plates , worn dowels , bent frame .
Alignment of idler to rear sprocket - for overall power path of the machine creating excessive force to align front idler to proper location .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Smokin Iron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokin Iron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 44 minutes ago at 9:37am
Thanks guys.. With all the replies and taking time to asses the condition it would appear that the wear plates are my problem. However I still need to find out how to lubricate the idler. I may resort to drilling and installing an alemite fitting. So is there a good place to drill that's recommended? Don't want to cause any trouble.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 58 minutes ago at 11:23am
The old style had a plug (3/4 inch hex head I think) in the center of the shaft. The old grease coupling for AC rollers is a 1/4 inch pipe looking thing about 6 inches long. Put the new grease in the back, forcing old grease out the opening. I have no idea where you would find one today.

The standard grease here was very thin white colored. I was told keep adding grease until new white grease was coming out.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 18 minutes ago at 1:03pm
When greasing rollers or idlers , they used oil or semi-grease like #000 - and it is not pressure fed but fed through a tube inserted into opening allowing old grease to flow out of cavity . Pressure greasing will blow out seals and allow contaminants to enter bearings  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 51 minutes ago at 5:30pm
"The old grease coupling for AC rollers is a 1/4 inch pipe looking thing about 6 inches long. Put the new grease in the back, forcing old grease out the opening. "

I made one for our FA 10.  The plugs on it have the same thread as giant button grease fittings.  I brazed a piece of 1/2" thin wall copper pipe on to one, with the pipe  long enough to bottom out in the shaft hole and direct new lube to the back of the roller.   Then ground a flat on the thread of the giant button to provide an area where the old lube can escape.

And diverted the bucket lube pump from our TD 6 to oil to do the lubing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic