This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unleaded 88

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unleaded 88
    Posted: 6 hours 6 minutes ago at 11:31am
Casey's has regular 87 octane gas and something they call unleaded 88 which is cheaper. The other day they were 3.29 VS 3.14. I'm guessing the 88 has more alcohol? Mostly wonder if I can put it in a 2000 Bonneville and be ok.
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 56 minutes ago at 11:41am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Casey's has regular 87 octane gas and something they call unleaded 88 which is cheaper. The other day they were 3.29 VS 3.14. I'm guessing the 88 has more alcohol? Mostly wonder if I can put it in a 2000 Bonneville and be ok.

I would say, DON’T DO IT! at least until you know for certain the alcohol content is no more than 10%.
Automobiles of that vintage were not designed for fuel above 10% alcohol.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 53 minutes ago at 11:44am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I would say, DON’T DO IT! at least until you know for certain the alcohol content is no more than 10%.
Automobiles of that vintage were not designed for fuel above 10% alcohol.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 18 minutes ago at 12:19pm
Everything I read says it is safe in 2001 and newer.  It is supposed to be 15% or less ethanal.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 59 minutes ago at 12:38pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 33 minutes ago at 1:04pm
I burn ethanol free gas in my car because I get 4 MPG more than E10.  Ethanol free gas sells for a higher amount per gallon than E10 gasohol but the miles per $ is more economical with pure gasoline.
E10 has less BTUs than pure gasoline.  E10 will clean out the gum and gunk in fuel systems but is hard on plastic and rubber fuel lines, in older vehicles and equipment.  

BIO-diesel blends are NOT GOOD for long term use in diesel engines.    Today's low sulpher diesel fuel lack lubricity and need additives to protect fuel systems from excess wear.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 29 minutes ago at 3:08pm
Pure gas is almost nonexistent in IL. One station in town started carrying it over a year ago. It is over $1 gallon higher the E10. Not sure that computes on 24mpg car.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic