This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First AC (Finally!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First AC (Finally!)
    Posted: 17 hours 58 minutes ago at 8:33pm
After pining over larger orange iron for a handful of years, and recently found myself with the means and need to add something with a 540 PTO to my duo of modified Power King tractors. Before I could buy an Ollie 550, I came across and checked out a narrow front, late '57 D14 serial number 8309. No gear jumping, no death wobble in the front, runs out nicely, had a newer brass radiator, everything works and even had the optional 3 point arms that locks into the snap coupler. I just couldn't get my mine off it, so "Vicki" joined the farm this past Sunday. I discovered that name etched into the homemade inner concrete rear wheel weights, along with the year 1959. I tuned the carb up some and she runs out even better, starts at the first press of the button with just a little throttle. I have a few things to do, like cutting off broken the stack retainer bolts on the manifold and drilling/tapping them, rebuilding the seat suspension and replacing the tach cable and fuel level gauge/seal (cable and gauge on the way), cutting off and knocking out a broken wheel rail stop, general straightening out of the fenders, and one day a total repaint (roughest part of the deal), but I have a few questions.

1. What lubricant goes in the front steering gear and how much?

2. I have a decent amount of play in the steering gear, is there an over center adjustment to tighten the lash?

3. I swear I read somewhere that a D15/160 governor spring can be swapped on the increase total engine speed and net a little more power, but I haven't been able to find were I read it. Is there any validity to this and would that upset the 149 at all?

4. This evening, I noticed what appeared to be oil on top of the front tires, but the booster above them was dry? I had drive it around this afternoon after the fluid servicing. Are there any expanded diagrams of the narrow front bolster floating around anywhere? My operator's manual isn't due for another week

I haven't had it out and worked it yet, but I suspect I'll be living with the power director creep for while. I drained the fluid from the transmission, PD and hydraulic system and replaced them all with fresh J20C spec and I still get a fast creep with the PD in neutral. It's fast enough that it's just a bit slower than low range, but I can also stop it with the brakes.

Edited by Clayfoot - 7 hours 16 minutes ago at 7:15am
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 11 minutes ago at 7:20am
PD creep can be from tractor sitting for a while. PD is not completely covered in fluid when standing still. Metal plates between fiber plates in PD can rust ,corrode. Moisture can build up in system and causes plates to rust above fluid level. Back when these tractors were used everyday it wasn't as much of an issue. Change PD fluid at least once a year and use the PD . Go bale a few thousand small round bales with a roto baler and the creep will go away.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 28 minutes ago at 8:03am
That's good to know. The PD will certainly get use as I have some very tight headlands on my tiny acreage, although, not as much of a workout as baling (hopefully one day with more acreage). Going to hook up a 6' finish mower next week and finish off the stalk stubs and weeds in my 8 corn rows (only about 100' long).

I'm now really confused on the oil on top of my front tires. I went out and scraped the buildup/dirt off the bottom of the booster cover and it was entirely dry, especially so above where the fluid starts on the tires. Doesn't appear to be any leaking from the steering shaft input. I also have about 1/4 turn on the steering wheel before the front tires start to turn with them pointed forward and sitting still.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 59 minutes ago at 11:32am
As this is your first AC tractor, get yourself and operators manual for the specific model (D14) It will explain the many features that are unique to Allis Chalmers tractors.  Enjoy your D14Thumbs Up
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 31 minutes ago at 1:00pm
Ouch Come on Paul be a better READER and Wink more encouraging. He said the book is ordered. He is all excited about a new toy. No need to be negative. Maybe you were thinking it was funny, if so add more WinkLOLConfusedOuchSleepy.  This place is dead enough, encourage new people. 

Wink After we get them sucked in then we can pick on them.LOLLOLLOL
Clayfoot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 53 minutes ago at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

After we get them sucked in then we can pick on them.LOLLOLLOL

ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 minutes ago at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Clayfoot Clayfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

After we get them sucked in then we can pick on them.LOLLOLLOL

I dunno, really thought that was a fairly bright, rosy post for Paul Tongue

*no disrespect meant at all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic