This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb on an IB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb on an IB
    Posted: 4 hours 47 minutes ago at 1:05pm
My 1952 IB has a Zenith carb # 10698A 212845. When the choke is in the closed position the lever is horizontal and the choke rod can't open it since it's in a downward angle.  It appears the lever should be at something like a 45 degree angle.  The lever is pinned to the choke shaft.  I have a new choke shaft but it's splined and I don't have a splined lever.  I'm thinking maybe either reposition the lever and drill a new hole in the existing shaft or replace the shaft with the splined one and drill a hole to pin it to the lever.  Suggestions?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 25 minutes ago at 1:27pm
im not sure of your description of the attachement.. EVERY B carburetor i have seen has a small block with a setscrew on it ON THE CARB LEVER... You slide the choke shaft thru the 3/16 inch hole in the block, then tighten the setscrew to hold it in place. That allows you to change the length of the choke rod.

If your ROD connects to the carb ARM and must be an EXACT LENGTH... You could cut and weld the ROD to a given length.... but this is not original.

Edited by steve(ill) - 4 hours 13 minutes ago at 1:39pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 19 minutes ago at 1:33pm
this small block with the 3/16 hole in it slides into the carb ARM... the CLIP next to it holds it into the hole.. The block can swivel in the hole as the arm moves forward and back.. the BLOCK has a setscrew in the side to pinch the choke rod into postion.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 16 minutes ago at 1:36pm
not your model, but this shows the BLOCK and set screw - DESIGN.

Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 23 minutes ago at 2:29pm
Yup, mine has the swivel block and set screw connection for the rod although it is defintely different. The lever on mine is on the inside between the carb body and the engine block.  The rod goes through a hole in the gas tank mount and when it's in position and the choke is closed, the rod drops below the center of the choke shaft which makes it impossible for the  rod to push the lever forward.  I'm thinking that this is not the original carb. Is that piece to the left on the photo for the rod to go into as guide? 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 49 minutes ago at 4:03pm
no .. that is a generic drawing... your choke ROD is a 3/16 ( guess) steel rod. It does not need a "clamp" at the carb... and yes, the choke is between the carb and eng block.

I guess what your saying is your ARM on the side of the carb is not INDEXED right to the CHOKE SHAFT... so the problem has nothing to do with the ROD..... when you close the CHOKE, your ARM is horizontal and not somewhat pointed UPWARD......

You are right, the ARM should go 45 degrees FORWARD (choke off) and 45 degrees BACKWAR ( choke on)..from vertical.... I think you need to reindex the arm... i have removed throttle arms and rotated a few degrees and solder back to the end of the shaft (  usually they are press fit onto a square end and then stamped or hammer on the end of the shaft to distort it and hold the arm on..

Edited by steve(ill) - 1 hour 47 minutes ago at 4:05pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 44 minutes ago at 4:08pm
double check inside and make sure the round choke plate is properly attached to the shaft... I have never seen a carb where the arm was horizontal when the choke was ON or OFF. ... the photo below is a good representation of what the ANGLE  of the arm should be

Edited by steve(ill) - 10 minutes ago at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic