This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD PTO.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis WD PTO.
    Posted: Yesterday at 4:42am
Ok, I’m laid up in the hospital after a surgery and my mind has been running wild so bear with me here.    I have a baumalight 3 point tree saw that actually runs great on my Allis wd.   My surgery was on my neck, and turning around to watch the saw is a real pain in the neck. lol. My question is, did Allis ever have an extended pto shaft that came out the front of the pto housing? If so, that would make it easy for me to built a 3 point mount for the front of the tractor and run the saw up front.   

Edited by Tom75 - Yesterday at 4:46am
Sponsored Links

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:52am
Not that I know of, but it wouldn't be hard with a couple of sprockets and a chain to have a shaft go forward.
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:33am
I think the PTO box could be bolted on backwards with the output shaft pointing to the front.
Tom75 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:20am
Thank you both! Both of those crossed my mind and I think they would work fine. I’ll have to check it out.    I would really like to just turn the box and shaft around if that works.    I will be a few weeks before I can actually do it but I’ll reply and let you all know what I figured out.   
    Also I’m not sure why Allis wouldn’t have done that.   From the looks of that box, it looks like the shaft would slide all the way through.   If I can’t flip the box, maybe I can flip just the shaft.   
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:58am
Cheap back up camera should solve the problem
Tom75 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:05am
lol I have one of those too that go to my phone, and it’s mounted on an m18 battery.    
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 23 minutes ago at 6:49am
Many years ago my neighbor modified a WD PTO to attach a shaft going forward to run a home-built snow blower. There was just enough shaft protruding from the front for him to be able to machine the shaft to allow attaching a coupler.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 27 minutes ago at 7:45am
I'm not familiar with the type of saw you are talking about, but why couldn't you put a pulley on the existing PTO and run a shaft the full length of the tractor (it probably wouldn't have much ground clearance). 

I remember my grandfather running a circular saw for cutting up firewood and "sharpening" fence posts. They always wanted a belt so there was a slip-point. 
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 53 minutes ago at 8:19am
The old side mount sickle mowers, WC era were driven by a fairly large V belt pulley mounted on the rear side of the pto box which in turn powered the mower shaft going forward and connected to the pitman arm.  I doubt if there was a simple way to get power out of the front of the pto box.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 38 minutes ago at 8:34am
coming straight out the front of the PTO drop box the PTO turns the wrong direction. When putting an Erskine front blower on We had to add a direction reverser to make it work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic