This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock shaft housing removal 7040 on a diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock shaft housing removal 7040 on a diet
    Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 9:23pm
I am contemplating removing the rock shaft housing from my 7040 to lose some weight. I saw pictures of somebody who did it before on this site. I plan on replacing the housing with a half-inch piece of aluminum plate. I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about what is going on inside of that housing. What can I expect when I take it off? What kind of linkages will I have to separate?
Sponsored Links

Mattman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:20am
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:16am
  Not much holding the cab on any more!!!  Allis made a few from  from factory with three point delete.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Mattman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:13am
This is not my tractor in the picture. This is what I plan on doing though. Interesting fact that they did not have a three-point. I plan on attacking it Saturday morning. I am just curious as to what I am going to find when I take those bolts out and try to pick up the lid.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:57am
I took the rockshaft housing off a 8070 about 30 years ago to fix a busted lift cylinder. Dont remember much about it except its not as bad a I thought it was going to be
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Mattman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:44pm
I like to hear stuff like that!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 9 minutes ago at 7:34pm
So, that's not your tractor with the 92 lb suitcase weights hanging from the rear axle?? Good. That isn't the best set-up and I'd never do it like that. Keeping the rear tires as NARROW as possible makes for the best pulling distances. Get the tires in to where they almost rub the cab is the best.
Mattman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 43 minutes ago at 7:00am
Appreciate it Doc. Ever pull a rock shaft housing before? I'm hoping to not have to remove the cab. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 16 minutes ago at 7:27am
3 or 4 over the years. Comes out from under the cab with a homemade lifting tool.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic