This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 Issues To Look For

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 Issues To Look For
    Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 6:24pm
I'm going to go look at a 6080.  Seems I've read there were some issues with it, so was wondering what I should be looking for?  Seems it was something with the pto or front pto?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 8:14pm
 The pto on these tractors work fine as long as they are operated correctly. To engage the pto bring the tractor to idle. Pull back the pto temporary disconnect lever to the right of the seat. It is a long lever with a yellow hand grip. The yellow pto light will come on in the dash. Reach down near the floor on the left side of the seat and pull up the pto engagement rod. You may have a little grind as it engages. I usually shut our 6060's engine off to prevent this because I don't like to hear it. Then I restart the tractor, and slowly engage the pto temporary disconnect. At this point the pto is engaged and the yellow pto light goes off. The best way for me to explain it is when I am baling hay and lets say I have 200 ft to get to the next windrow I can pull the pto disconnect lever back to temporarily disconnect the pto and then slowly re engage the lever to start the baler again without stopping the tractor as I approach the windrow. Works great for hay farmers. Now the problem that arose is when folks left the pto temporary disconnect lever pulled back when not using the pto. This puts a lot of pressure on the front crankshaft bearing and causes issues. AC came out with a crank shaft bearing support that mounts on the front of the engine. Dealers were supposed to install these on customer tractors they had previously sold that did not have them from the factory at AC's cost. That did not always happen as our father was never notified to have one installed on his new 6060. By the time we found out about the issue, AC had shut the doors. If it's used properly there should not be any issue, our father and my brothers and I have always operated it per the AC manual. Most likely it will have a bearing support installed on it, just look in front of the engine. Grease it at each engine oil change. When you go look at the tractor see if the temporary lever is pulled back. If it is that's not a good sign. Ask the seller how he operates the pto. If they leave it pulled back, personally I would walk away from it even if it has a bearing support.  Just my opinion
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 2:22pm
The seasonal disconnect is on the LEFT side of the operator and is only to be moved with the engine shut off.  If it grinds, you are damaging it.  Keep it in the off position if you will not be using the PTO for a long time.  The long lever on the right is for normal PTO operation - on/off with the engine running - The manual illustrates how it all works.

The tractor itself is great.  Drive and handle nicely, synchronized shifting on the 12 speed transmission, good hydraulics, powerful and fuel efficient engine.  The transmissions do tend to whine in the middle range, but does not cause any problems.  The only issue was with the PTO putting pressure on the crankkshaft thrust bearing.  Most tractors had a brace on the front of the engine to hold the crank in place.  Occasionally it needs to be adjusted and lubricated.  Later model tractors in around 1985 (like mine) did not need this brace as the engine block was strengthened to handle the pressure that the PTO exerts on the crank.  After 40 years, most of the tractors out there will already have the brace in place or have the stronger block, so I would not even call it an issue. 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 5:01pm
Well, went and looked at the tractor.  Has a Westondorf loader also.  The brace is on the front of the tractor.  The PTO lever was pulled backed into the off position (good/bad?).  The PTO engagement lever on the left side of the seat was in the up position (on I guess?), which I interpreted was the engaged position.  The owner said he would shut the tractor off when engaging the pto lever on the left side of the seat.  He has only owned the tractor for six years and used on his 3 acre lot.  It drove and operated well.  I made him an offer, he counted, and I accepted, so now I have a new to me 6080.  We'll see how it operates.  Less than 10 miles from home, so . . . Let me know what you think.  Thanks for your comments.  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 5:30pm
You,ll luv it- they are nice tractors, not well balanced -in my opinion, but weight it out and your good
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 7:55pm
That lever should be forward when not in use and the rod to the left side of the seat pushed down when not in use. He is right about shutting the tractor off when pulling up on that LH rod.  Great tractors though.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 10:29pm
Sometimes the fitting at the bottom of the fuel tank gets some crud in it. I remove the line and poke around with a real thin piece of wire to get fuel flowing again. If it dies in the field look here before assuming fuel pump issues
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 16 minutes ago at 5:11am
Originally posted by skateboarder68 skateboarder68 wrote:

Sometimes the fitting at the bottom of the fuel tank gets some crud in it. I remove the line and poke around with a real thin piece of wire to get fuel flowing again. If it dies in the field look here before assuming fuel pump issues

We’ve learned to take the cap off the tank and the bleeder off the fuel filter then blow back into the tank.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 14 minutes ago at 5:13am
Make sure the transmission oil has been checked plug is below the platform below the brake pedals so to say.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic