This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis wd45 12v conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis wd45 12v conversion
    Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 4:35pm
So my dad who owns a Wd45 that my grandpa bought new asked me to do a 12v conversion.   I feel like this might be a dumb question, but I’m going to ask it anyway.   
The WD45 has a 5/8 belt.   I bought a new alternator on an auction that has a 1/2 pulley.   Will it hurt to run a 1/2 belt?   I’m only asking because a few years ago I replaced the water pump on it, and while it had a 5/8 belt, the water pump pulley was worn through and had to be replaced.    Obviously this the tractor is 70+ years old, but I would love it to last another 70 years.   
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 4:38pm
many people use the 1/2 inch belt ... just sets lower in a larger pulley... Make sure that pulley has a DEEP GROOVE and the belt rides on the SIDES and not the BOTTOM of the pulley... then you are good to go !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tom75 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 4:49pm
Thank you!    I appreciate the reply!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 5:04pm
I made a pulley for the alternator on one tractor.. Did not get the GROOVE deep enough.. Belt was touching the BOTTOM of the groove more than the sides of the pulley.. Ended up with ruined belt in 1 hour.... Size of belt is not important as much as riding properly on the sides of the pulley.

I assume you got an alternator with an INTERNAL voltage regulator ?.. Much newer design and easy to wire up ..... just get the pulleys in alignment !

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Sep 2024 at 5:06pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 7:22am
you can take the 5/8 " pulley off you generator and put in on your alternator,
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 7:47am

The wiring system gets simpler and more reliable with a 12v alternator having an internal regulator and a 12v coil with internal resistor.

Fewer wires and wire connections to corrode when you get rid of external regulator blocks and resistor blocks.

The 12v coil will measure 3ish ohms when it has the internal resistor and half that without.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 11:55am
IF you are using a Delco 10SI, 12 SI, CS 121 or CS130, the Generator pulley will fit the Alternator's shaft. Same .670 shaft. If you're using a Denso, that is a 15mm shaft and the pulley will not fit. We offer complete 12V conversion systems with or without an Alternator. Visit our website. Lots of good information on the site when changing over to 12V's. Always a good idea to change out the Ammeter to a Voltmeter for safety as well. Any questions, drop us a line. Be glad to answer any questions you may have. Doesn't cost a dime for info......
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 12:49pm
DB Electrical has the 5/8 pulley you need,great products at good prices.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 2:24pm
Yes.......I used a Ford alternator and the pulley exchanged perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic