This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R62 high hyd oil temp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R62 high hyd oil temp
    Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 6:41pm
Shelling corn after about 15 minutes oil temp light comes on. We checked solenoids none appear to be bad or sticking. Oil cooler is clean oil level is inside glass the hydraulic filter at the rear of combine is reading 200° Plus when light comes on the valve body under the front left corner of cab is also 220° Plus any help would be appreciated as far as where to start
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 6:59pm
That's similar to my hyd problem on an earlier post.

Quick heating up of the oil in the entire system means the pump has wear and internal bypassing. Could be as simple as the brass bushings in the pump need replaced.

Do things move slower than normal?

Might be able to see a tiny bit of brass in the hyd filter.

If it is hot outside, 200 might be normal operating temp? Then don't worry.
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 7:41pm
My son runs the machine but he said the hydraulics for the steering, auger in and out and header raise and lower seem to be working fine. We did replace a hydraulic hose from the pump to the lateral tilt valve assembly due to a hole, that was before we started harvest also replaced the hydraulic filter under the radiator. The filter for the hydrostat was replaced last season. The pressure line from the pump going up the left side of the machine towards a valve body under the cab is warm to the touch immediately after starting the engine and leaving it at an idle and gets hotter the longer it runs without the separator running or engine at high idle.
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 7:55pm
I think you have a cartridge stuck ON . Number 1 is the master coil I think. Disconnect the wire on number 1 with the engine running and see what happens.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 8:27pm
Here is a good application to use a portable IR thermometer on.  Tracing out the hyd circuit with the thermometer, whatever is the hottest, that's where your problem is...

Make sure you are using it right, though...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 10 Sep 2024 at 8:31pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 7:11pm
Doc, when I take the wire off of the master solenoid which is the farthest to the right away from the machine none of the other functions of that valve stack will work. Put the wire back on and the reverser works fine head goes up and down fine auger in and out are fine. I cannot verify the real variable speed or lift because I am shelling corn. My old Ace AC mechanic seems to think it's an issue with the hydrostat. We did check both check valves on return lines going back to the reservoir. They looked to be working okay with no obstructions. I have an operator's manual and a parts book but I do not have a service manual for the charge pressure of the hydrostat. I'm at a stand still and looking for help. No help with local shops, everyone is 3 weeks out of don't even leave their shop.
Leon B Mo
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 8:47pm
If it is truly a problem with the hydro drive itself, I'd expect you to be able to run the engine at full throttle with the separator engaged (like you were harvesting) and the hydro handle in NEUTRAL, and experience no oil heating. With the machine moving and being propelled thru the field, I might expect heating if there is a hydro problem. You are running 2nd gear, right ??
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 6:03am
2nd gear 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 6:25am
So, give it the "running while sitting still at full throttle test" and see if the oil still heats up.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 9:06am
While everything was cool this morning we started the combine and began checking temperatures everywhere on lines. The valve body for the variable speed real under the cab started to warm up quicker than anywhere else. We had that spool out yesterday did not find any problems. Can I back out the manual override and do any good there? All other return lines and pressure lines we're pretty consistently in the lower 90s after about 15 minutes of running but that valve was 120.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 9:21am
Is the header hose connection screwed up onto the valve fully TIGHT ??? If it isn't tight, oil cannot flow thru the hose. 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 9:59am
Yes
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 10:16am
Disconnect the wires from the coil on that valve under the cab floor to be sure it isn't getting an electrical signal all the time.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 2:04pm
Backed out the manual override in that valve has been running for 3 hours. Gonna remove, inspect and clean valve first chance we get. Two new hoses also. The outer coating of hyd hose is peeling off, wondering if the inside of hose is coming apart.
Thanks again for the input.
Leon B
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 7:26pm
Just a thought Leon, but check those hyd. couplers. Had one go bad on our 62 several years ago and was causing us heating oil problems. They didn’t leak,just restricted flow.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 8:32pm
That's the weird part, I'm shelling corn, so there is no couplers. I also have the single point hookup for the grain head. So lines from the variable reel speed valve, one input from pump, 2 lines going to single point,( not being used while the corn head is on) and a return line that runs from variable reel speed through the hydrostat filter, hydro and back to reservoir through a 15psi check valve. Chance of rain hear overnight, if so, the reel valve is coming off and new hoses. Curtis pushed it pretty hard in 220 corn today and no light but that is with the manual override screw in the variable speed valve backed off. 
The only bright spot is 220 bpa corn. For where I'm at that's more than exceptional.
Thanks again 
Leon B Mo
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 2:36pm
Update. Took reel speed valve off, disassembled and found one of the orifices had damage to screen and plugged.So got one coming tomorrow. Drizzle here today and the corn is still 17.5 so not really pushing hard yet anyway.
Leon B Mo
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 7:41pm
...so your 180 bu farm is making 220 eh?
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 8:31pm
We had timely rain here, little more population and little more nh3. Corn planted after tax day seems better because of a wet spell late April. I have no reason to embellish what's in the bin, I'm just happy with a higher yield. We need it with a 1985 selling price. Thieving, crooked s o b s. Sorry if I offended anyone
Leon B Mo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic