This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prototyping Again:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prototyping Again:
    Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 7:17pm
Have several truck wheels to blast and paint so put this together this afternoon from old stuff around the shop. It is powered with my shop portable hydraulic pumping unit and is variable speed. Once a wheel is mounted up it can be blasted, primed, and painted without being removed or handled. This is a prototype only and I plan to build five more that are double ended to really ramp up production. Tack welded to either a bench, or steel 55gl drum they will be at about the correct height to work with. This is only for the "Budd" style wheels and I'll fashion adapters for the later "unimount", and Dayton styles.

Slow speed:

Fast speed:

Old wheel mounted up and rotating about the speed it will normally operate at:

I'll make a guard that will cover all the mechanics of the operator and keep media out of the chain couplers and bearings. This is heavier than the finished product will be but using what I had around the shop to test the theory.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 10:52pm
I LIKE IT !!!... How do you sand blast ?  Have a little tent that goes over the wheel ?  You on the outside reaching in or does the tent go over you also ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 11:24pm
I have a portable tent that erects easily kinda/sorta like the vendors use at outdoor flea markets and such if blasting remote from the shop. With the sides installed, the mess is contained easily. Also have this portable automotive shelter purchased from Menard's a couple years back and it too works well but not so easily erected quickly. These are from a subdivision sign I did a couple years back:

Shop vac easily picks up the media leaving a clean jobsite behind.

I blasted the sign board, pillars, and lamps, (unshown) in the tent and the letters back at the shop. Same with the painting as the sign was painted in the tent and letters back at the shop.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 11:39pm
For small items such as these wheels, I can stick them in the cabinet and blast clean, (slow) or this jig will allow me to stand stationary and dependent upon nozzle selected, will blast accordingly. I have both 45, and 90 degree blast nozzles along with straight discharge. There is enough clearance between where the wheels mount to the supports of the apparatus to blast clean, so won't need to dismount. Skid steer and a clean endless loop strap make it easy to handle.

Had a hell of a run during last year's harvest with old farm trucks being stopped citing "rusty" wheels. Just another ploy for money by the state police under the auspice of "roadway safety", but this setup will probably go into usage should that happen again. As of now I have a couple dozen wheels to process, and ready a few aluminum wheels to be powder coated.

Also have several tractor wheels to do so will fashion jigs to hold them also.

Edited by Codger - 01 Sep 2024 at 6:57am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 8:41am
Great work... Looks like you got a good business going !!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 11:18pm
I like that rig... particularly how you resolved the 'bolt circle' issue with a single strap.

I've got a fixture that I set up on my forklift, runs on a small AC servomotor, my next step is to make a bracket to hold 4" grinder with cutoff wheel for cutting centers out, or widening rims.  Haven't needed it yet though.  Putting a sandblasting nozzle on there, and rotating it at a controllable speed is an excellent plan!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 5:44am
I will most likely power this with an AC motor through a VFD for variable speed eventually. I think it can be made physically smaller, and without the pumping unit required. These are all items unused around the shop, so pressed into service. 

The hydraulic pumping unit is an "OilGear" brand, pressure compensated, and originally used with my portable line boring setup. As shown in the videos, and even with that wheel moving at very slow speed, you would not stop it by hand. I use it routinely to test hydraulic motors, valves, cylinders, etc. as so compatible with operations.

Edited by Codger - 02 Sep 2024 at 5:52am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 6:00am
When I wire brushed my D-14 rear rims, I mounted 2, 12" conveyor rollers on some wood. Not near as fancy as yours,but worked for me.

Sand blasting a a HUGE ,messy operation.dang sand gets everywhere....and city has effectively banned commercial ops here.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 6:27am
There are a lot of things I do that are not "politically friendly"; hence my shop is not in the city. Blasting can be messy, but doesn't have to be. For remote, and/or large items my tent structures keep this down to a minimum and I always leave a clean jobsite behind. The tumble blasters and rotary table in the larger cabinet are used often for smaller things. 

My blasters have a "blow off" feature which cuts the media flow and allows full air flow through the hoses. This will rid residual media for the most part, but final cleanup is always required/needed.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 6:30am

Forgot to post this as it's the sign job after the landscapers finished yet before the decorative lamps were reinstalled onto the pillars. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 7:12pm
Seems to do as it's supposed to do. Makes it quite easy to get primer and paint into the nooks and crannies of the rim(s) smoothly and evenly.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 1:30pm

Three drying in the sun and a fourth on the spinner drying down. Will get tires mounted up tomorrow morning and reinstalled onto the rear of the tractor. Blasted the front rims to paint possibly later today, or yet tomorrow.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 1:36pm
Had some fasterners from an A-C to clean up for no particular reason. I do a lot of this type work for the antique car, and furniture world where the correct fasteners, clips, pulls, etc. are NLA and originals must be reused. These fasteners are actually from my 11B dozer that mount the floor plates into the tractor. They are crusty and the photos are 20 minutes apart being before, and after a quick run in a small tumble blaster:

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 1:40pm
I think they called this a "stipper pan", (or something like that) from a Gleaner combine. Don't know anything about it but going to clean it up and give it some paint attention:

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Three drying in the sun and a fourth on the spinner drying down. Will get tires mounted up tomorrow morning and reinstalled onto the rear of the tractor. Blasted the front rims to paint possibly later today, or yet tomorrow.

Nice work.  A lot of wood turners do something similar with wood turnings, they use a BBQ spit motor that turns real slow, to let the wood turn, as the finish dries...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 5:15pm
Thanks Dave; a rotisserie motor is how this thing started out. I have this little gearmotor with a #35 roller chain sprocket and a small loop of chain, but nothing to mate it with. The hydraulic motor drive reverses and is a direct couple to the support shaft supported by the pillow block bearings. Once I finish this wheels task I'll mount up a 15" faceplate and use it as an impromptu "positioner" for welding and such. As a rotary positioner for welding, (as example) the variable speed of rotation and direction are very beneficial as I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 4:15pm
I'm kinda getting a little old to be busting tires any longer but nobody else volunteered so had to do it. Tires mounted up easily on the freshly painted rims and look pretty good reinstalled onto the truck with new inner and outer nuts on the rears, and new nuts on the fronts, along with all new valve stems. 

Cousin's truck and I didn't ask if I could put the photos online so blanked the signage out. He probably wouldn't care but all the same. Going to paint the front bumper tonight and probably start on the trailer rims tomorrow as supposed to be cooler. They are open center Dayton style on the trailer so won't need the spinner as access is easy.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 4:41pm
Wheels are so shiny and clean, I just couldn't let the front bumper be dull so a bit of black paint later......

The photo is this morning after an overnight dry:

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 9:09pm
Does your family farm anything west of Dalton City to cause you to haul east on the Macon blacktop? Two falls ago I was eastbound after work late afternoon and following a white INT single axle tractor pulling single axle hopper with tarp off loaded with corn. Driver dropped off rt edge of pavement and jumped back on violently. It went whip left,whip right and whip left before it came under control all the while slinging a large amount of corn out the top with each move! It came real close to flipping over on the first whip. It was amusing kinda.....
Hope it wasn't you. Nobody around but him and I and I didn't rat on him.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 06 Sep 2024 at 9:11pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 7:18am
Wasn't me but thinking I know the party as there aren't that many single axle hopper trailers in use. If who I'm thinking, they can't stay off the phone. All of cousin's hoppers are tandem. We usually tarp our loads as to not sling any grains as that gets slick on the pavement. From time to time state cops watch for that too.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 8:47am
what are you using for paint ? .......... hardener ?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 1:59pm
This job has been Sherwin-Williams "Versa-Hyde" system. medium rate hardener, and reducer. I don't "blend" other, (or aftermarket) hardeners and reducers into a paint system as redoing work is just too expensive.

This paint line sprays nice through HVLP equipment and lays well. It is a bit heavy so need to be careful on vertical surfaces but in my downdraft booth it gets out of "dust" fairly quickly so not hard to handle at all. On the front wheels of that IH I used a black epoxy primer and two coats of the white hid it very well shown here:

Planning to do pretty much the same thing on a couple of  "4020" Deere tractors within the family also. I have a 185 diesel myself that is on the list, but may be a while. I'm not a tractor mechanic so will trade services with folks I know will do as I want them done.   

All in all I like this paint system. There is cheaper out there for sure, but this system consistently delivers positive for me.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 6:30am
Ready to work. If I have time before being called to harvest I'm going to do the trailer wheels but their just surface rust and the tractor now shames them:

Trailer has new leaf springs at all corners so should be ready to haul again.

Edited by Codger - 09 Sep 2024 at 6:46am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 8:00pm
This job has upsold two other trucks, and a seed tender cart to do after harvest concludes. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 6:40pm
Cousin decided the rusty wheels on the trailer and hubs need blasted and painted too. After steam clean using actual steam, the hubs are currently black and rust. Wheels were either silver, or gray. Trailer is staged to jack and remove tires tomorrow.

I'll use my 600# pot for this job so don't have to stop once started.

Tomorrow's weather forecast calls for a beautiful day for blasting.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 10:03pm
Got a good start early this morning removing the rear axle tires on the hopper:

In the shop with the beads broken loose:

Tires are dismounted from rims and I'll get the front axle in the morning to blast in the afternoon. Probably paint the hubs Friday before the weekend rains, and the rims over the weekend and wrap the job early next week.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 10:09am
Another early start this morning. Removed the front axle tires, broke them down, and staged for blasting later this afternoon.

Even feels like the Olympics around here:

All this stuff will blast clean later this afternoon as I have some administrative tasks to tend to first.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 12:00pm
Administrative tasks took longer than originally thought. Blasted this morning and from the previous photos there is a slight difference.

Charging the pot with 600# of media:

Blasted the hubs clean after degreasing from a former leaking wheel seal:

These will go into prime shortly after lunch and I'll jump onto the rims and spacers shown earlier.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 11:34pm
Coming around:

Harvesting around the shop:

Will get the trailer wheels blasted and painted tomorrow for remount on Sunday, or Monday as my harvest starts shortly.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 12:35pm
And into the home stretch as they say. Four trailer rims and spacers blasted clean, and painted:

Got two of the remaining four rims blasted clean this morning and will prep the last two and get them into paint yet tonight. This will allow remounting tomorrow morning and I'll get the truck down to get inspected, serviced, and ready for harvest which starts Wednesday morning for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic