This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obstinate Dog.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obstinate Dog.
    Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 5:41pm
My youngest German Shepard Piper,loves to have me throw a ball for her. She brings it back but will not give. We have tried using the vibratory or tone on the shock collar which works,but is one more tool that I have to put on her. Tonight, I was throwing the ball with no shock collar when she brought it back to me,I stuck my finger in her ear. Immediately she dropped the ball! So for the rest of our play time that's what I did every time she brought the ball back. I figured Piper,if your going to annoy me by not dropping the ball, I'll annoy you with my finger in your ear! She is hard headed, but a nice dog for a rescue.
Sponsored Links

dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 7:11pm
You need to be careful about teaching a dog to play fetch. I was so proud when i taught otis to play fetch. Nine years later i get a ball dropped on my head at 2am. " dad, why don't you want to play fetch?"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 7:27pm
STOP playing 'half ball' .
If she doesn't drop when told, go do something else.
She'll figure it out pretty quick.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 7:31pm
Many times she views the ball as a chew toy. If you stop she just chews the ball to pieces!
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2024 at 11:13pm
Feed the dog.  The ball has very little nutrient value.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 6:24am
Actually you just need to figure out what has a higher value to him than the ball and trade. I used a peanut butter treat
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 6:25am
Be careful what you wish for
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 7:20am
One of the housecats here plays fetch every night after supper. He'll come in the TV room and hop up on the couch and drop his toy mouse near me and then stare at me until I throw it. Then he'll run to retrieve it and repeat. Another one will run on a 4' Hampster wheel for minutes at a time.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 9:50am
are you aware of this thing called a "chuck it"  that saves a bunch of wear and tear on the shoulder.  If you don't have one give it a google.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2024 at 9:06pm
My brother-in-law's dog does the same thing. throw the ball (or whatever), brings it back and will not let go. Apparently he likes the "fight" of not giving it up. Lately I tell him to drop it a few times and not reach for the ball in his mouth. Then I say "if you aren't going to drop it, I'm not going to play" and turn around and ignore him or walk away. About 30 seconds later he drops the ball at my feet for me to throw again. Hopefully after several repeats he will learn just to drop the ball when he brings it back.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 6:08am
I have a chuck it ball thrower. She chews the balls up so bad we tried a solid ball,but that doesn't stay in the thrower well. She likes to play throwing the ball,she just can't give it up! I'm as obstinate as she is,so a test of wills shall see when she starts giving the ball!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 7:03am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

STOP playing 'half ball' .
If she doesn't drop when told, go do something else.
She'll figure it out pretty quick.
Yeah, ever since that hop on one leg story and a few others, I’ll get my dog advice elsewhere.
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

One of the housecats here plays fetch every night after supper. He'll come in the TV room and hop up on the couch and drop his toy mouse near me and then stare at me until I throw it. Then he'll run to retrieve it and repeat. Another one will run on a 4' Hampster wheel for minutes at a time.

I thought we had the only cat who likes to play fetch!  One of ours loves playing fetch, and also loves hanging round anything with an engine for some reason, especially when I'm working on it. He frequently comes in for supper with oil stains all over his head & back...  

Maybe I should try and combine the two pastimes and have him fetch tools when I'm under a car or up on a machine!

Edited by ekjdm14 - 03 Sep 2024 at 3:50pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 8:02pm
Piper started dropping the ball at my feet. Must be she doesn't want my finger in her ear anymore!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 2:56pm
Mark, my shepherd love fetching the ball, but will not give it up.....UNLESS i have treats in my hand. If he knows i have treats he will hand me the ball! He will do anything for a treat!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 7:39pm
Lou, Piper is treat motivated, that is how we got her started fetching. Piper has been through a divorce and 3 homes before she came to us. She was a problem at first,but my wife and I worked with her and she has turned into a sweet dog,who likes to lick faces. I believe she views balls as a pacifier,because she gets one and can't stop chewing it to pieces. She has started dropping the ball near my feet and is either tired of being vibrated, toned or my finger in her ear!

Edited by klinemar - 11 Sep 2024 at 7:40pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 7:50pm
re; I believe she views balls as a pacifier,because she gets one and can't stop chewing it to pieces

OUCH !!!!!!! Oh the pain....  Please remind male guests to CROSS their legs when they sit down !!!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 11:43am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Lou, Piper is treat motivated, that is how we got her started fetching. Piper has been through a divorce and 3 homes before she came to us. She was a problem at first,but my wife and I worked with her and she has turned into a sweet dog,who likes to lick faces. I believe she views balls as a pacifier,because she gets one and can't stop chewing it to pieces. She has started dropping the ball near my feet and is either tired of being vibrated, toned or my finger in her ear! 
Yes sir, Shepherds are very lovable dogs, and quite easily trained.....but also very stubborn at times.  Mongo is very good with my grandchildren, but turns into Kujo with strangers. The fun thing is I cannot hug/kiss my wife, He either forces his snout between us, followed by the rest of him, or jumps up and slams me with both paws! He's 115 pound dog, so that gets one attention

Edited by LouSWPA - 12 Sep 2024 at 11:44am
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic