This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My newest toy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My newest toy
    Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 7:11pm
Brought this home from a farm near Wabash Indiana. Funny thing is, although I knew the seller was a farmer, I was surprised to see when I arrived a whole coral of AC!

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 7:23pm
Nice
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Nice

Unlike many, my goal is 'preserve', not 'restore'. I love the way it looks s is......there's a thousand stories there. There is naturally, a certain bit of retore (repair) involved but i would like to keep that to a minimum. The question I have is how I preserve w/o changing it's appearance. I am thinking of cleaning it and then clear coating it, but I fear that will give it a shine that I do not want.

Also, note the gas tank! It is a Farmall F-20 dual fuel tank that a previous owner put on it when the vacuum operated fuel pump expired. I haven't decided if that will remain or fixing the original. To me, that is just part of the character of old truck.

I appreciate those dedicated to restoration and the pursuit of authenticity, but I kinda' like seeing them in working cloths.

Wait for the Lord;
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 7:49pm
Nice!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 9:16pm
Awesome! 
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 10:28pm
dont change anything
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 5:37am
Very nice!! What's the make and year? Is that a Chevy emblem on the front? Thanks
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 5:54am
That is a jewel! Repair and preserve, that is where the history and memories are. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 7:54am
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Very nice!! What's the make and year? Is that a Chevy emblem on the front? Thanks
Sorry, I forgot to mention that! 1928 Chevy Capitol one ton

Wait for the Lord;
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 7:59am
Thanks Lou!
Steve M Ind View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 8:23am
I love it Lou. It's almost identical to the GMC i just recently bought other than the fact yours is one piece and mine is in many pieces!!LOL 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 8:26am
Lou...i think you have caught the "OLD AUTO BUG"...... how many is that now ?  I do like the TRUCKS more than the CARS...... Did all this start after retirement ?  Were you "looking" before then ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Steve M Ind Steve M Ind wrote:

I love it Lou. It's almost identical to the GMC i just recently bought other than the fact yours is one piece and mine is in many pieces!!LOL 

Yep, not much more than a wooden phone booth on a chassis! Like I told you, I'm too old to take on a project like yours, I gotta buy mine in one piece! LOL Just keep plugging away and you will get there
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 9:13am
[QUOTE=steve(ill)]Lou...i think you have caught the "OLD AUTO BUG"...... how many is that now ?  I do like the TRUCKS more than the CARS...... Did all this start after retirement ?  Were you "looking" before then ?[

Steve, I have always had an admiration of the old vehicles, especially the trucks, but never really thought of owning one. Then, first I retired, and second, my daughter was looking for a prop for her photography business. So I found the '23 Buick, not what I was really looking for, but it was cool and I could afford it. Then, I found the '29 Buick, still cool, still affordable, but still not scratching the itch. rinse and repeat the '31 gangster car. By this time the CEO was starting to get a little concerned and getting that scowl on her face, which told me I was done collecting. Then this truck popped up! That was what I was looking for and half of what I paid for any of the other cars, so....... CEO has forgiven me, by I think I am walking on thin ice! LOL I got the bestest wife in the whole world! Anyways that is four and the end.

Oh, and my daughter is vibrating! She is working on setting up a business renting me and the vehicles out to other photographers. wee will ee how that goes.
/QUOTE]

Edited by LouSWPA - 09 Sep 2024 at 9:15am
Wait for the Lord;
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 9:44am
Lou, those old Stewart vacuum fuel pumps are usually pretty simple to get going again. as long as the bottom has not rusted out.  Often just need cleaning, new gaskets and make sure the trip springs are in good shape.  And make sure the vacuum valve is seating so it will pull a vacuum to pull the fuel into the top chamber.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

Lou, those old Stewart vacuum fuel pumps are usually pretty simple to get going again. as long as the bottom has not rusted out.  Often just need cleaning, new gaskets and make sure the trip springs are in good shape.  And make sure the vacuum valve is seating so it will pull a vacuum to pull the fuel into the top chamber. 
Ya, you are correct, and I have one I rebuilt on hand, but I am undecided if I want to put it back to original or keep what is there. I think the F-20 tank adds character to the truck. I may go back to the original system, but leave the tank mounted there. I know the original tank is good because there is half a tank in it, and the bottom is real clean. Thanks for the heads up!
Wait for the Lord;
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 1:21pm
Lou, really nice , I like the character it has. You might give it a coat of linseed oil but that would make it collect dust. I don't know if they have a dole clear coat that you might use.
Tom
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 1:54pm
Now that is an incredible find. Pretty rare to find one in that condition. Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 3:17pm
Sweet!  Nice find.  I may have to think about a road trip and stop over and take an up close peek.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Grayray Grayray wrote:

Sweet!  Nice find.  I may have to think about a road trip and stop over and take an up close peek.   

Just let me know when you are coming so I am here. I have a dog that runs in the yard when i am here, he picks and chooses who gets to satay he has to go. So, when I am getting company I make sure he is inside. 
Do you still have my number?

Wait for the Lord;
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by Grayray Grayray wrote:

Just let me know when you are coming so I am here. I have a dog that runs in the yard when i am here, he picks and chooses who gets to satay he has to go. So, when I am getting company I make sure he is inside. 
Do you still have my number?

No, do not have your number.  Not sure I ever did.  Shoot me a PM with it.

Thanks
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 11:08pm
I LOVE it lou!!  Reminds me of the Waltons.  I agree, clean it up and drive is 'as is'.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 9:42am
A great looking truck, Lou.  if that was on my farm, it would be my daily driver to the coffee shop in town!! 
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 10:22am
Definitely preserve "as-is", like you say the character and stories are in the "bodges" and farm-fixes and careworn appearance. That resonates much more with me than over-restored and over-polished trailer queens one is scared to drive for fear of marking.

As far as protecting/preserving it, boiled linseed oil is popular but personally I use sunflower oil topside & used engine/gear oil underneath. Not sure if it's better/worse than anything else but it works for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic