This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Painters…………..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all Painters…………..
    Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 5:24pm
Looking for recommendations for interior ‘door & trim’ paint. What are the characteristics of such, thick or thin? What brands do professional painters gravitate towards, and what brands to avoid? Doors and trim are all wood, previously painted. Thanks for your opinions.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 5:41pm
I have been supported well by Sherwin-Williams and their paint stores; but it's automotive, and industrial paints. I cannot recommend an interior residential paint, or system, but they most likely can. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 6:35pm
I was trying to buy scrub able flat interior paint at the big box store. Store employee kept telling me we don't have any
Showed him that it said scrub able on their can. He said they won't stand behind it. You need to go to Sherwin Williams. Found out later that he was a professional painter.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 6:37pm
I normally buy Glidden......... sell it at the local Wal mart... close and handy.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 10:17pm
I have had great experiences at my local Sherwin Williams store, they can match most any color and answer any questions you might have. Just painted all the trim and door frames in my house. Trust me let them recommend a good quality paint brush. I always thought it was the the skill of the painter to a smooth finish.. while this is true, a good brush pushes Joe Average closer into the professional spectrum, yes quality comes with a price but you are going to be at one with this brush till the job is done, clean it up properly and it will last a really long time
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I normally buy Glidden......... sell it at the local Wal mart... close and handy.

Home Depot closest(30 miles) to me sells Glidden and Behr. The Behr runs at least 20% more expensive on all there stuff. The local hardware store sells Valspar(Sherwin-Williams budget brand) but premium prices.
I’ll have to see what brand the closest(30 miles) Wally World sells, besides their house brand. I don’t know if I would trust Walmart for some ‘name brand’ products, have read too many stories over the decades on how name brand manufacturers ‘cheapen up’ on product runs for Walmart. When we lived in Wisconsin, Dutch-Boy, or Mautz was my brand of choice, occasionally Sherwin-Williams if on sale.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 5:55am
We (wife&I) painted our whole interior (walls&ceilings) of our new 2006 home using our local Sherwin-Williams primer/paints. Great store manager lady there could mix paint colors with ease & always right. Wife used about 8 different colors, not just one color off-white.

Best part~all Primers were tinted towards final top coat, but about 2-3 shades lighter so coverage of top coat was easily distinguishable. “That alone was worth the price of admission.”

We used their washable flat paints. Great quality at 18 yrs now & still going strong.
Agree with previous posts on good quality trim brush. Good pump rollers with extensions are great investment too, especially for ceilings.

Edited by AC7060IL - 07 Sep 2024 at 6:01am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 7:35am
A while back, my wife and I went into Home Depot to purchase some interior paint. She was asking the lady in the paint department some questions about their paint. She responded that she didn't know because paint was not really her department. She was covering paint because there was no one else to cover.

We drove over to the Sherwin-Willaims store, received professional advice and bought the paint.

No regrets!

Edited by WF owner - 07 Sep 2024 at 7:36am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 8:08am
Sherwin Williams usually has a good “paint sale” in September or October.

Here’s their Labor Day sale

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/special-offers
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 8:34am
Good point Curt. Staff at our Sherwin Williams store always seem knowledgeable to me. Big box store not so much.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 6:58pm
Glad to see this discussion on painting. My wife wants her bathroom cabinets and the kitchen cabinets painted. Looks like I will be going to the Sherwin-Williams store.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 7:04pm
When my wife talks about painting, I get very busy with something else!
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 12:16am
Here is a quick and easy way to paint an apartment.  
Watch as Mr. Bean demonstrates https://youtu.be/nAd77M-tz2E
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 6:47am
Hubert Be sure to use TSP to CLEAN those doors ! Do it THREE times over THREE days !!!
if you don't, well, you WILL ......after you clean off the 'mess'......BTDT
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic