This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis b steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis b steering
    Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 6:55am
Can anyone help me out with a Ross steering . The rod that runs from the pitman arm to the front left draglink? The pieces inside the rod I hav a spring and what the book calls a bearing it cups the ball home many pieces is in the rod I do have the spring and another piece that goes inside the spring and one cup that the ball end fits in and one the other side I have 2 cupped bearings that the ball rides on. Should both end have 2 cupped bearings. And what order do the pieces go inside the rod? If I'm missing anything where can a guy sour e these parts. I do have the screw in pieces that you use a big flat head screw driver to take out. I do have the parts manual but it's not clear on how many each end needs. Tia for any replies
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 8:00am
i have not had one off for a while, but one of the "CUPPED" bearings sets in the bottom, then the ball arm sets in it... then another cupped bearing sets on the ball... spring on top of that and the threaded plug on the end .... If you have too many parts, you can not get the threaded plug to install.. If you put in the plug and put it flush on the end and you still have too much END PLAY, your missing a part....... I do seem to recall there is a SPACER which looks like the CUPPED BEARING, but has no CUP in it... That may drop in the hole first befor the first CUP to take up excess space... Again the Threaded plug on the end should screw in approximately flush.... If it goes too far in, you need a SPACER.... If it will not screw in flush , you have too many parts..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hardwater000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:23am
I do have a spring and 2 cupped bearings and the spacer that slides into the spring on one end. On the other end I have àll of the stuff but one of the cupped bearings. So I guess I need to find one cupped bearings do you know if they can be bought anywhere as a kit or individual. I looked up the part numbers with no luck.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:27am
look in the hole and make sure the CUPPED BEARING is not STUCK in the hole...

No, i have not seen aftermarket cups.. I have seen a couple complete RODS for sale on e-bay from time to time..

Again, the nuber of parts is not important. What is important is that the threaded end plate thread in approx flush and compress the spring to hold the BALL in place secure.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:31am
If i was missing one, I would make one on the lathe, or.. i would go to the hardware store and get a CUP/ CONE bearing for a trailer axle and use the External race as the part you need... YES, it is not CUPPED, but more of a straight cut.. but i think it would last forever for your use.
Hardwater000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:31am
Yes I have done that. The one end was flush and the other end was in a lot more. When I pulled the rod off getting it prepared to paint is when I noticed this problem and the difference in parts is one had an extra cupped piece.which is why I assume it was why it screwed in farther
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:36am

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Sep 2024 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic