This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

butchering prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: butchering prices
    Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 3:51pm
OK..
so 3 neighbours bought a steer ,on the hoof for $800.

Cost $150 to haul 2 miles down the road..

Butcher charged $100 to kill the steer.

Butcher charged $1 /kg....so 45 cents per pound to turn the steer into steaks and roasts and hamburger.

I'm wondering if that's a good price ?

yeah, I forgot to ask what it weighed...next time I see her, I'll ask...

Edited by jaybmiller - 29 Aug 2024 at 3:52pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 4:35pm
Yeah, I dont know any answers,, - but around here there were a couple butcher shops opened around the Covid Bs- OH MY GAWD gonna be the next best thing- NOPE  - FOR SALE,, $1.5 MILLION DOLLARS , no takers ,, ; in all my travels, its cheaper to buy it at a store-- just as good as home grown ; if you do it yourself, maybe cheaper if you dont value your time- beef is high now,, watching the markets and futures-- in for a ride !  All markets are cornend,, 

Edited by DougG - 29 Aug 2024 at 4:42pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 4:37pm
For $150 bucks, I would have walked the stear.
The hamburger, I would wager will be from a cull cow, no butcher grinds hamburger from stear’s(no matter what they promise).
As for the processing, I don’t have a clue.
As for my post, I was in the mood for a ‘drive by bomb throw’!!
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 5:37pm
It appears the price of 22 shells have risen again!
Maximum use of available resources!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 5:52pm
Bought our 1/4 beef for $2.60lb hanging weight, The Grower delivered to Butcher, Butcher shop charged $4.75lb for Kill, Dress, Butcher to requested dimensions and 1/4 load.  Total bill Less than $550, 1/4 beef in Burger, Roasts, Steaks in Freezer.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

For $150 bucks, I would have walked the stear.
The hamburger, I would wager will be from a cull cow, no butcher grinds hamburger from stear’s(no matter what they promise).
As for the processing, I don’t have a clue.
As for my post, I was in the mood for a ‘drive by bomb throw’!!
well, we get hamburger from steers all the time. The whole critter ain’t made of steak ya know.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 7:26am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Bought our 1/4 beef for $2.60lb hanging weight, The Grower delivered to Butcher, Butcher shop charged $4.75lb for Kill, Dress, Butcher to requested dimensions and 1/4 load.  Total bill Less than $550, 1/4 beef in Burger, Roasts, Steaks in Freezer.
I don’t follow your math….$4.75 per pound?? You mean that’s what the final net worked out to?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 7:32am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK..
so 3 neighbours bought a steer ,on the hoof for $800.

Cost $150 to haul 2 miles down the road..

Butcher charged $100 to kill the steer.

Butcher charged $1 /kg....so 45 cents per pound to turn the steer into steaks and roasts and hamburger.

I'm wondering if that's a good price ?

yeah, I forgot to ask what it weighed...next time I see her, I'll ask...

$800 for the steer is ridiculously cheap, like less than half price if it was capable of walking. $150 to haul two miles is ridiculously expensive. $150 to kill it is pretty expensive, here that’s $40, but that guy is on the cheap side. The 45 cents for packaging is pretty cheap though not way off. Based on the price of the steer and the packaging, far out weighs the others and this is a very good deal. Are you sure it wasn’t $1800 for the steer? Or $800 each?

Edited by Tbone95 - 30 Aug 2024 at 7:32am
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 8:58am

".....just as good as home grown....."

Depend on who grows it, on both sides of that discussion.

As far as butchering yourself, We do everything here feathered or furred, my time belongs to my family so I don't mind giving it for free.

Edited by Jgranat - 30 Aug 2024 at 8:59am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 6:54pm
Lyons Country Meat Kills, halves ages then cuts up package and flash freeze for $4.75 lb. Quarter for gutted hanging weight is $2.60lb
7.35 lb plus taxes for everything we received.against hanging weight so likely around 9-9.50 lb finished.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 8:39am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Lyons Country Meat Kills, halves ages then cuts up package and flash freeze for $4.75 lb. Quarter for gutted hanging weight is $2.60lb
7.35 lb plus taxes for everything we received.against hanging weight so likely around 9-9.50 lb finished.

So your processing is nearly 10X what we pay! Holy crap. That’s why it threw me off, didn’t seem to add up. We pay a fixed $40 to get it killed and hanging half, then $0.50 for cut and wrap for paper. Vacuum is 5 cents per pound additional. Net price per pound in the freezer is between $4.75-$5.00. Wow what a difference.

Edited by Tbone95 - 31 Aug 2024 at 8:41am
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 8:46am
Just had a steer butchered that we raised. I cant remember the specifics, but the meat ended up being about a dollar per pound when we picked it up. Made for cheap eating.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 11:28am
Should we raise our own and take in for Butchering the local shops around here are all roughly same pricing.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 12:26pm
Several of you at the beginning of this discussion need to move out here and get rich. To come to my place and kill a beef is $250 if not more. 

That is killing, skinning, remove guts and haul them off with the hide, and delivering the carcass to the processing facility. I do generally haul the guts out into my field. Most of the killing they do is on small acreage, so no way to just leave the guts and not have stink by someone's back door.

Part of the reason for the price is that the hide has become a liability rather than something of valve. Not many years ago they got $50 for a salted hide. Now worthless to the small volume guys.

With nobody wanting to do manual labor, meat cutters included. The price to hang, cut, wrap, vacuum seal, and freeze is up to $2.75 a pound. Of course electricity, property taxes and other things cost more out here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Even with steady work they are getting rich.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Several of you at the beginning of this discussion need to move out here and get rich. To come to my place and kill a beef is $250 if not more. 

That is killing, skinning, remove guts and haul them off with the hide, and delivering the carcass to the processing facility. I do generally haul the guts out into my field. Most of the killing they do is on small acreage, so no way to just leave the guts and not have stink by someone's back door.

Part of the reason for the price is that the hide has become a liability rather than something of valve. Not many years ago they got $50 for a salted hide. Now worthless to the small volume guys.

With nobody wanting to do manual labor, meat cutters included. The price to hang, cut, wrap, vacuum seal, and freeze is up to $2.75 a pound. Of course electricity, property taxes and other things cost more out here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Even with steady work they are getting rich.

And still $2 per pound cheaper than Dave’s, in California! Still shaking my head.

Yeah, price is the same whether it’s mine or I’m selling it to someone. I just get paid the hanging weight.

Crazy.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 4:04pm
Large meat processors near to St Charles and KC have sucked up all the meat cutters around these parts, Bigger Markets as Schnucks or Dierbergs pay their help handsomely to get quality meat cutters. Local shops of two to three people here plus counter help have to pay premium to get and keep help. We pay for that, gladly I might add to not pay $13-15lb at WalMarts for crap steaks or roasts I can tell came off old dairy animals. Even WM generic Burger is currently over $10/lb unless on sale if you like well OLD Aged beef, tendons arteries tongue and moo included.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 4:18pm
DANG !!  Wal Mart here has burger for $5. lb and roast for $7.50 !!... pretty good meat in Illinois..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

DANG !!  Wal Mart here has burger for $5. lb and roast for $7.50 !!... pretty good meat in Illinois..
Walmart meat here, well I can’t speak from experience because I don’t eat it, but but people who buy from me say it’s got lots of water in it and not much flavor.

We have a store chain Meijer, known for much better produce and better meat. I go by their prices when I set my price. Last month Angus ground chuck, 90/10 was low $7’s per pound, I back figure from there and compare to live cattle price and go from there.

Nothing from Walmart is $15 per pound. Very top line stuff at Meijer might be. Dang, Misery is an expensive place! Not a typo.

Edited by Tbone95 - 31 Aug 2024 at 5:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic