This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 Series IV Gas in frame overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 Series IV Gas in frame overhaul
    Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:13pm
Can I do an in frame overhaul on a D-17 Series IV Gas, and replace the main bearings and rod bearings?  
Any tips on dropping the front end so we can remove the oil pan?  I looked for a U-Tube but haven't found one.
KY D-17
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:41pm
All you can do in-frame is replace piston and sleeves, rod bearings and the front and center main bearings. The rear main bearings and rear seal cannot be changed. Neither can the cam bearings, which have a lot to do with good oil pressure. This is not an OH.
KY D-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:47pm
So you recommend I take the engine out to overhaul it, right? KY D-17
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 8:00pm
That's the ONLY way to do it right.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 6:09am
Having an engine on a stand, where you can tip it over, is VERY MUCH easier than ever trying to work on an engine still in the tractor. It's well worth the work to remove the engine, especially on a (relatively) light engine like a 226 (cubic inch).

Edited by WF owner - 21 Aug 2024 at 6:10am
KY D-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 8:17am
My shop manual is very vague on how BEST to remove the engine.  Can you refer me to something to go by.  Without some guidance, I normally do far more than I would need to! Can I get the engine out in an 8 hour day?  KY D-17
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 11:29am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 11:34am
You need to get a real Allis Chalmers Service Manual. I prefer the online versions that I get instantly (after buying them). I print out the pages that I need and I don't worry about getting the pages dirty because I can always reprint them.

You should be able to easily pull the engine in less than 8 hours. Of course, it always seems like something will give you trouble that you least expect.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 3:25pm
I agree with taking out the engine.  Definitely replace the cam bearings at the same time.  If you have an I&T service manual, use it to light the stove in your shop.  They are not very helpful.  Find an AC service manual.  You can usually find them on e-Bay.  They are much more useful.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
KY D-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 8:24am
What is the best shop manual, and where do you order one.  I purchased what was represented to be a reprint of an official Allis shop manual for my D-17 Series IV but it appears only the cover is authentic.  I would purchase both a printed version and an online version.  Thank all of you for your above and private message help.  KY D-17.
ValleyFarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ValleyFarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 9:19am
I've gotten manuals from Ag manuals and Jensales at a reasonable price. Both have PDF and paper copy manuals. Good luck with you project.
https://agmanuals.com
https://www.jensales.com
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 12:08pm
There is a seller on ebay called peacefulcreek who sells reprints of factory manuals very reasonably priced. I ordered one and was plenty satisfied with it
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 3:04pm
Check out what Binder Books and Peaceful Creek out.  The ones I have ordered from Binder Books just like the originals did.  But they were IH not AC and they do not have everything. 

Peaceful Creek was getting a lot of good reviews, but the last I remember seeing was negative. Not sure if they are like Jensales and have about everything. The Jensales ones I have are poor photo copies of originals. So it's all there but very hard to read parts of it.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 6:08pm
i buy alot from peacefull creek
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 6:11pm
the pan wont come off with out pulling the engine any ways from the power steering
KY D-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 7:06pm
Thank you all. KY D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic