This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop/barn light suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop/barn light suggestions
    Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:05am
About to run power to our pole barn and want some light suggestions. Pole barn is 40x60x13. Trusses set on 4ft centers with a 2/12 bottom pitch. At some point one side will be closed in but it's not at the moment. Any suggestions on lights? Brand, number, size, placement, etc?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:41am
do you just want to be able to SEE when walking in the dark, or are you working in that area ?.... I put 60 or 100 (equiv) WATT LED screw in bulbs with the old screw in base and mount them on 10 ft centers..Simple / cheap/ last for years... That gives plently of light to walk around and move things, etc.. If this is a SHOP and your working with hand tools, then you need MORE LIGHT closer to the Work..

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Aug 2024 at 11:42am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 12:18pm
I put up a string of construction lights with 100w CFL’s for “temporary use” some 15 years ago. Plugged in to a switched outlet. Great for most things unless you need some really good lighting on a shop project. Your building size is same as mine. Will need two sets for best coverage but mine is cold storage on one end. There is enough light to get by if needed at that end
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 2:28pm
I have put up led 4' lights that I bought on Amazon in my shed and like the way it's lit up
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 3:27pm
4' LED lights are GREAT!

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

do you just want to be able to SEE when walking in the dark, or are you working in that area ?

Little of both. I don't have a dedicated shop so sometimes the barn doubles as a work area, sometimes it's the stackhouse that gets used. My biggest need is parking equipment at night. A couple of weeks ago I had to back a caking machine in about midnight. Had enough moonlight to get it in but could've torn up some expensive stuff. We're having another well drilled next week and when it comes time to wire the pump, the ditch will run right past the pole barn so it's time.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 4:55pm
I like the old screw in sockets because its CHEAP and EASY.... and you can put the NEW LED bulbs in the sockets..  Started out with 60 watt equivilant ( about 8 watts) in each socket. Needed a little more light in the back corner so i got one of the screw in splitters and put two 100 watt ( 12 watts) bulbs into one socket... LEDs take very little power... and i get the  DAYLIGHT bulbs... works better than the "cool" or "warm" bulbs.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 5:28pm
Go LED!

That’s what I have in mine.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 6:34pm
I recommend putting in a few screw-in type motion detector LED "bulbs". I have them in a shed and absolutely love them. No more tripping over things getting to the light switch. As we get older, they could prevent an injury. It's hard to put a price on that.

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 7:38pm

I like the old screw in sockets because its CHEAP and EASY.... and you can put the NEW LED bulbs in the sockets..  Started out with 60 watt equivilant ( about 8 watts) in each socket. Needed a little more light in the back corner so i got one of the screw in splitters and put two 100 watt ( 12 watts) bulbs into one socket... LEDs take very little power... and i get the  DAYLIGHT bulbs... works better than the "cool" or "warm" bulbs.

May go this route. The lights we use in our chicken houses are 10.5 watt LED A19 bulbs and with the porcelain socket I've got about $9 in it. Think 3 rows of 4 bulbs would be enough? In our chicken houses they're spread about 16 ft and they're plenty bright but the buildings are enclosed
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 9:57pm
rafters on 4 ft centers so bulb every 3 beam... 12 ft apart.... 3 per rafter sounds good also... should make a nice setup..

The Motion sensor is a good idea also... watch the BULB MOUNTED type. The sensors on some are 8-12 ft range.. The Individual sensor type can look 50 ft away ... and you need POWER ON all the time for the sensor bulbs to work.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 7:16am
I replaced the screw in bases with duplex receptacles. Allowed me to plug in TWO of those 4' LED strips AND their cords are long enough I could get the PERFECT placement over the work 'stations'. Original screw in bulb was dead center over the tractor, now LEDs are  either side, washing LOTS of light to the sides of the tractor.
Another bonus, though seldom used, is that I can unplug one LED strip and put an extension cord in for say a trouble light, drill or fan...
Also have banks of light son several switches NOT a one switch does all.
While you're wiring, instead of just one receptacle at a location, mount two. Cost is minimal but offers lots of options...like when you need a trouble light and drill and battery recharger in one location.
It's best to spend time now, 'over wire' the project then mumble 4 letter words 6 months from now........
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 7:30am
Add Wall Mounted, ALL Sides as will also aid for those dreary days or late nights and drop that One Special, CANNOT BE BOUGHT, Screw.  I am also looking to improve my Shop Lighting, have six 8' fluorescents currently, was a nightmare when painting as to shadows and dark areas.  Wall Lighting will be added to shine toward all projects off three sides.  Mine is 30x30 inside.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 8:33am
YEP...it all depends if your in a STORAGE are or a WORK AREA..
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 10:21am

YEP...it all depends if your in a STORAGE are or a WORK AREA..

It's mostly a storage area. It's where everything gets parked. But when it's time to work on stuff I don't have a better place that's not full of chicken litter
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 12:42pm
I'll agree with basically every suggestion above... as they're all excellent when used in context congruent to your needs.

My suggestion is to add SEVERAL lighting CIRCUITS.

A few basic fixed lamps to get you safely from one place in the building to another, and a few fixed lamps on the OUTSIDE to light up the areas near the entrances, corners, and passing sides of the buildings will help you navigate on foot, as well as get vehicles and machinery around, in the dark.

I frequently set up 24/7 illumination, at very low power (a couple watts of LED go a long way, for essentially no power use) as it can get darned dark inside during the daytime, too.  In fog, rain, and snow, those lamps serve as 'markers' too.

When coming INTO the building, I like to have a light active near the switches and circuit breaker panel.  Aside note- first thing I do when I set a panel, is install a quad receptacle box at the panel, and install a lamp on the wall or ceiling over the panel, so I have power to work and see while I'm working on other stuff in the panel...

I put up a power circuit for secondary lighting, so that if I need to increase illumination for working, I hang more powerful lighting in that area.  Frequently, I'll salvage old high-bay lights, or shoebox lot lights, old fuel canopy lights, or put together some other LED setups.  If I need to move 'em to a different spot, I do... but I can turn them on for working as I need... and I do it totally on-the-cheap as-needed.

Which reminds me... I salvaged some more LED canopy units that I need to hang in one of my buildings before Octoberish...

But thread-in LEDs are extremely inexpensive, hard to break, and don't use any significant power.  If you have the old coily-type CFLs, GET THEM OUT... they tend to ignite.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 1:51pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 6:14pm
I had florescent 8ft fixtures installed along with bulbs in porcelain socket every 8 foot in 3 rows across shop - found installing row over center of drive in area was bad idea - should have been near wall instead >
 Next replaced 8 ft fixtures with high output florescent low temp bulbs and ballasts mounted along outside wall of drive area and another row on center of building .Expense of bulbs was drawback now 
  Just bought String lights from Harbor Freight , 12 bulb string and can link together , got ones for $18 on sale with standard bulbs , then bought 100 watt LED (15watt) equivalent bulbs  on sale - have part of them up now and need to put up rest .
 Have a few other old 4ft fixtures I am using LED bulbs in - they work in cold shop as do other LED bulbs 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 6:26pm
I have the same lights as TAdams put two row  10 feet apart the length of my shop. 12 4 ft lights mounted on a white steel ceiling it’s bright as daylight. Since installing 7 years ago I haven’t needed a trouble light unless working inside a vehicular under the dash. They don’t use and more power than a single 100 watt build all together. 1 switch 1 circuit two outlets 10 feet apart at one end all connected together with the 6” jumpers they came with. I have the same in my barn only a lot fewer just 1 plugged into where each light used to be. I do have one cfl int the barn that haven’t been turned off in 12 years. My barn doorway is 20 feet from the switch so 1 light stays on all the time. Outside I put a LED dusk to dawn on the shop and the barn.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 17 Aug 2024 at 6:27pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 10:06pm
Cokes post reminded me of a story.. 10 years ago i closed down a Factory and was only a couple of us left to "watch" the place. We shut down the 3 phase power / plugs / lights in the building and only had 120v power in a small office up front... I bought 5 light strings 100 ft long and connected them all together and ran down the  walkway in the plant to the other end, around the corner and half way back to the office. Put 10 LED lights ( 10 watts) in each string for 50 lights total or  500 WATTS total... at 120v that is just over 4 amps !!  Easy to run 16 gauge extension cord / lights 500 ft with that little load !!!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 10:54pm
In our shed/shop, 30x40 with 10’w x 12’h doors, the previous owner installed 3 rows of florescent ‘shop lights’ suspended from the trusses. Had to remove the center row as they were too low when backing in the RV. On humid days, the lights won’t, or barely illuminate until I wiggle the tubes. Once on, I’ll leave them on all day. Have considered replacing them, but not sure if it’s worth it. Not really a fan of the type of lite ELD’s emit is some applications.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 12:21am
I replaced the bulbs in the Harbor Freight strings with DAYLIGHT LED lights - for a while Goodwill was selling LED lights for $1.00 for 4 bulb pack , and Walmart had 4 pack for $1.89 - now Wally World found their mistake and they sell the same box for $1.8 a bulb 
  In a couple of old porcelain sockets I put the LED (corn Light) multi bulb 200W equivalent row of LED's in areas I needed more light .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 7:08am
before you install the light... paint the ceiling WHITE !
yeah, kinda obvious but.....

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 7:49am
It's a pole barn. I assume there is no ceiling.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 8:16am
son took thin aluminum foil pie plates and cut a 2 inch hole in the center and they hang on the bulb... directs light downward.... not a bad idea in a pole barn..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 9:41am
I used $store white mixing bowls. Actually worked very well, even looked 'good' too !

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 12:10pm
There's no ceiling to paint but I'll definitely look into the pie plate/mixing bowl idea
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:24pm
My hanger has disposable pie plates with a hole and led pedal lights it's pretty bright and cheep the lights just screw into a basic light socket.
KY D-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY D-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:41pm
Google LED shop lights.  Look at the 10 pack of 8' lights for $140.  That is what I have in my shop.  You can switch them all together or individually.  A lot of light for not much money. KY D-17
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 5:52am
You have to look at how many lumens the lights are to compare apples to apples.

When I did the Google search KY D-17 suggested above (Actually I Googled 8' LED shop light) I came up with lights that varied from 9,500 lumens to 19,000 lumens (on Amazon).

That is a huge difference!

By the way, an electrician friend told me to consider mounting the lights crosswise in a building. He said everyone mounts them lengthwise. He claims less shadows when lights are mounted crosswise.

Edited by WF owner - 21 Aug 2024 at 6:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic