This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swedish repair expertise?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisC-SWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swedish repair expertise?
    Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 10:47am
Hi All,
my father (lives north Sweden) has a AC 1947 which starts and runs well until warm, then stalls. Can possibly be something wrong with the magnet. (Fairbanks Morse)
Anyone that knows someone in north Sweden that is familiar with old ACs and possibly even can offer to fix it?
Best Tomas.
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 12:13pm
My dad would have said to first pull the sentiment bulb out from under the tank. Let the junk flow out until the fuel clears up and reinstall.

Fuel and spark. Spark you have, you may be starved for fuel. Best of luck.🤞
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 1:43pm
Quite often if a motor runs when COLD... then quits when HOT, is the CONDENSER or COIL is bad or opening up when HOT... This is true for a distributor or MAGNETO  (FM).

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Aug 2024 at 1:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 2:17pm
I'd tend to agree with 'Unit3': A very (very, very) common problem on old tractors these days which causes exactly the symptoms you describe is junk in the fuel tank: either surface rust or other gunk that has been caked to the inside walls over the years. It starts to strip/peel off (especially with modern fuels and their cleansing additives), then it blocks and partially restricts the drain port in the bottom of the tank. There's enough flow to fil the carb bowl when it's not running and keep it running for a bit, but once it's run for a minute or two and drains the carb bowl, the restricted fuel line can no longer keep up and it dies out.

First easy step to check: Pull the drain plug in the bottom of the carb bowl and let fuel flow out for a good minute or so, You want to see a steady stream of fuel; a light trickle isn't enough.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by DanielW DanielW wrote:

I'd tend to agree with 'Unit3': A very (very, very) common problem on old tractors these days which causes exactly the symptoms you describe is junk in the fuel tank: either surface rust or other gunk that has been caked to the inside walls over the years. It starts to strip/peel off (especially with modern fuels and their cleansing additives), then it blocks and partially restricts the drain port in the bottom of the tank. There's enough flow to fil the carb bowl when it's not running and keep it running for a bit, but once it's run for a minute or two and drains the carb bowl, the restricted fuel line can no longer keep up and it dies out.

First easy step to check: Pull the drain plug in the bottom of the carb bowl and let fuel flow out for a good minute or so, You want to see a steady stream of fuel; a light trickle isn't enough.
X2... I had the exact thing happen this year to one of my old A-C's. With the gas cap off, with little or no daylight around, take a flashlight and direct it to the drain out point and you'll be able to see if that may be the issue but it can also be restricted inside the fuel bowl plumbing, in the event that this is a fuel related problem.
In north central Sweden there is a guy that has several old A-C's. You can find him in one of the other tractor sites under owner registry. I was at his place in 2016, he wasn't home at the time, which was too bad. I can track down some contact info if you're interested.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
AllisC-SWE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisC-SWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 2:32am
Hi Eric, thank you for your answer. Very helpful. Will try the fuel angle.
If you could get some lead to that Swedish guy you visited 2016 so I could find him would be great!
Thanks.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 5:51am
There's a pretty easy check to see if fuel flow is the problem. Does it start right back up after 30 seconds? If it does you probably have a fuel obstruction. 

If you decide it's a furl problem, you will probably have to drain the tank and unthread the fitting (sediment bowl assembly if it has one) and manually clean it. I usually use a drill bit in my fingers to manually auger the crap out.

Edited by WF owner - 20 Aug 2024 at 5:55am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 11:45am
Originally posted by AllisC-SWE AllisC-SWE wrote:

Hi Eric, thank you for your answer. Very helpful. Will try the fuel angle.
If you could get some lead to that Swedish guy you visited 2016 so I could find him would be great!
Thanks.
I did manage to track down contact info although the tractor registry no longer has him listed. I'm sending you details on a private email.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
acken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 8:09pm
Any time I suspect a fuel issue, I drain it into clear container so I can see what if any crud may have been in there. I do it when draining from tank, or bottom of carb.
AllisC-SWE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisC-SWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 1:40am
Thank you all for the help! Next time I go there I will work it.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 5:11am

Hi Tomas

Welcome to the Allis Forum.

I checked my list of the 2019 Forum Owner Registry for Allis 'B's and there are 10 owners listed in Sweden.

Send me your email address via PM and I will forward you that info.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic