This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 Maroon belly power shift "slip"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 Maroon belly power shift "slip"?
    Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 4:50pm
Maroon belly (early) AC 7000 tractors have a dry clutch disk and pressure plate setup with a 3 speed power shift.  I had to adjust mine a month ago.  I know that most power shift tractors (including the later black belly 7000) have oil bathed spring loaded "torque limiter" plates hooked to the flywheel and the "clutch" pedal/inching pedal is just a hydraulic valve that engages a clutch pack.  The torque limiter is supposed to allow a little slip when the power shift speeds are changed.  

My question is, on my dry clutch 7000, was it designed so that the dry clutch disk slips a little every time I use the power shift, in higher gears?  
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 8:32pm
I don't know who told you the torque limiter is supposed to slip when you shift the power shift. That is simply not true. It is to slip under severe shock loads to protect the drive line components. The regular dry foot clutch in good condition won't do that. It is pretty solid except for the spring damper center.
erikIL View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 5:44am
Thanks for the explanation!
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 7:10am
The torque limiters are not oil bathed either, they are supposed to be dry. If they get much oil on them, they can slip.
Cpetty View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cpetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 12:23pm
On your dry clutch 7000, I think the power shift is designed to engage/disengage quickly, but not really slip like the torque limiter setup. You might feel a slight "catch" when shifting, but it's not meant to slip like the oil-bathed system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic