This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Washing Machine Mechanics Here ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Washing Machine Mechanics Here ?
    Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 1:23am
GE Hotpoint Washing Machine - as simple as they come - about 30-yr-old.

I am a pretty decent fixer-upper guy and will tackle anything.

When new, pushing in the knob would stop the machine; pull it out and progress would proceed.

Some years ago, the "pull out the knob to turn ON" quit working and the machine just started as soon as the dial was turned to any "run" position.

Then, a year or so ago, the plastic teeth on both the knob and the timer wore down so badly that the knob would no longer turn the timer to the desired positions.

Solution = removed the knob and turned the timer hub with needle-nose pliers and a firm grip.

Now, a few weeks ago, the two little plastic "hands" inside the timer wore down so badly that they no longer advance the timer.

Everything in the timer runs as if it were ready to move on; but, it just stays and runs the machine on whichever cycle it is on.

Solution --- and not an ideal solution at all --- = manually move the timer from cycle to cycle with the needle-nose pliers; I just manually turn the timer to the next cycle, let it do it's thing for a while, and then turn it to the next cycle.

Doing thus keeps me close as if I wander off and get involved with something else, the washing machine will just continue doing whatever I had it set to do --- until doomsday if I don't show up and turn it to the next cycle.

I had searched and searched for a replacement timer and finally thought I had found two legitimate sources.

The first place, ShopJimmy, claimed they had two in stock, ready to ship; and, they accepted PayPal.

I went through the motions of placing my order and switched over to Pay Pal to complete the transaction --- this in the middle of the night when the rest of the world with any sense was asleep.

After PayPal did it's thing and shifted me back to ShopJimmy to seal the deal, I am greeted with a big notice that the timer I had chosen was not available and my order had been cancelled --- they were just a few seconds earlier claiming they had two of them in stock.

Since then, I am being bombarded with annoying e-mails from them that areas useless as the timers they claimed to have had --- I reported it as Spam so maybe I won't have to deal with them anymore.

Now, for the second source = PartsDepot; they, too, claimed they had plenty of the timers I sought, in stock and ready to ship.

This place doesn't do PayPal and I usually won't deal with any online place that doesn't do PayPal; however, I badly needed a timer and they claimed they had several.

So, against my better judgement, I placed my order and gave my debit card details.

Once I had finished finalizing the order, I received E-Mail confirmation as to the fact and was notified that my order was being processed and a tracking number was soon to follow.

Okay....., now maybe we are getting somewhere.

Not so fast.....; a day or so later, I get an e-mail telling me they had cancelled my order due to the fact that GE had discontinued the part and it was no longer available.

Why in holy hedoubleLL were they claiming to have several in stock, ready to ship, when they knew all along they didn't have a single one and could not get any ?

No matter how badly I may need something in the future, these are two companies I will not be doing business with and will steer anyone who will listen away from.

Right now, the good old workhorse Hotpoint is sitting out on the porch and a brand-shiny-new simple-as-I-could-find Amana is sitting in it's place.

Although the Amana is as simple as can be had today, it is still plenty complicated.

I just now washed a load and I already hate the thing.

I struggled to get the old Hotpoint out on the porch; it is like moving a dead car with no wheels.

The Amana is light as a feather; I can easily manhandle it around all by myself.

The lid on the old Hotpoint is like lifting the lid off a long buried concrete vault.

The lid on the Amana is flimsier than a worn-out dishrag.

The old Hotpoint beats and thrashes and agitates like something is really going on in there; and, when it spins, it is like a big jet engine taking off.

That silly Amana makes no sound at all; and, to add insult to injury, when I open the lid to see even if anything is going on at all, no matter what the thing is doing, it immediately quits before I can get the lid up --- it sure don't sound like it is washing clothes.

The water pours in the old Hotpoint like Niagra Falls and only takes a minute to be up to the top of the agitator.

The water just trickles and dribbles coming in the Amana and took forever to decide that it was ready for a "Deep Water Wash"

As I couldn't open the lid and actually watch the water coming in, I waited until it said it was "agitating" and I opened the lid to see how deep a "Deep Water Wash" was === ridiculous --- the old Hotpoint would have been swimming deep, plumb up to the top of the agitator; there wasn't six inches in the Amana; the clothes were a long way from being covered.

Ridiculous...

Thanks for staying with me this far...

Now for my questions:

After the fact, after dragging the old Hotpoint out on the porch and moving in the shiny new Amana, I am looking at Amazon and across the bottom is "Suggestions due to your recent browsing" or some-such-or-other; and, lined up across the bottom were dozens of Universal Washing Machine Timers -- the most expensive was $24.99 and most were more like $12.

I saw 3-wire, 4-wire, 5-wire and 7-wire universal fit timers.

The given information is very generic and obviously an English-challenged Chinaman's descriptions.

The reviews I did find were not really helpful at all; things like "Fixed my machine that I could not get a timer for"

One thing I noticed concerning all that I looked at is that there were no 1- or 2-Star reviews; everybody seemed to be happy.

Have any of you guys had any experience with these universal fit timers ?

I don't see why the theory wouldn't work wonderfully so long as all the wires plugged into my existing timer had mates on the universal timer to get spliced to.

I know that I would have to custom mount the thing in my control panel; that part doesn't bother me.

Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 4:12am

LOLLOLDang it Buckskin,,,you sound just like ole Joe,,,,!!! WinkWink
  I too had been struggling with a washing machine that would NOT listen to what "I" wanted it to do,,,,,,AND,,,,AND,,,it was of a recent enough model that if you tried to quickly jerk the lid open to throw the missing sock that you just found on the floor,,,that jerking open of the lid was enough to shut the machine down and machine HAD to be re-started from  scratch,,,,Angry Well,,that new fangled POS finally developed other issues and I DID NOT want another POS that made it's own mind,,SO I go to the friendly used washers and dryers store and found a model  back in the cawnor that had just two knobs with only 4 functions and,,,,,,,and,,,the machine would NOT stop just cause you forgot to add that one sock on the floor,,,,!!! I LOVED that one feature,,,,!!  A few years of bliss go by and the washer developed another issue that the same switch that started the machine when lid was closed went south ,,,SO,,,I had to place a "FULL" one gallon paint can on the  corner of lid so switch underneath would start the washing process,,,,I'm now up to using Two cans of paint and am considering a small anvil I have,,,, I guess I could remove the top cover and get numbers off the switch and order a replacement  switch but I expect it is NLA,,,or contact the friendly Used Washers and Dryers store and place an order for another of these machines of long passed times,,,,,,sigh,,,,,!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 5:13am
Most of these 'Parts Warehousers' are not, they drop ship from MFR Inventories and use those companies inventory numbers as their own.  Same thing happened to the New Door blanks was going to buy for my Ford, 'In stock over 1800' in early Dec, by Jan the inventory noted ZERO and NLA, ALL such vendors noted similar lines.  NO ONE Else had them so had to go Used.

As to a 30yo washing machine, was time to toss it ten to fifteen years ago.  Have personally seen 12-14 years and so obsolete for parts not worth trying to keep running.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 5:50am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Most of these 'Parts Warehousers' are not, they drop ship from MFR Inventories and use those companies inventory numbers as their own.  Same thing happened to the New Door blanks was going to buy for my Ford, 'In stock over 1800' in early Dec, by Jan the inventory noted ZERO and NLA, ALL such vendors noted similar lines.  NO ONE Else had them so had to go Used.

As to a 30yo washing machine, was time to toss it ten to fifteen years ago.  Have personally seen 12-14 years and so obsolete for parts not worth trying to keep running.

Jeeeze,,DMiller,,,why would you want to "toss" any machine just cause it wants to throw a tantrum every year or so,,,,?? I have read many testimonials and I expect that you have as well,,,about some machines lasting reliably for 20-30, 40 years. There are many DIY's still kicking out there that enjoy making things to continue working,,even tho they got to use vise grips to turn that stubborn knob,,, Wink
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 6:27am
Buckskin, what is your GE Hotpoint washing machine’s
MODEL #?
SERIAL #?
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 8:21am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

MODEL #?
SERIAL #?

Model:  VLSR1090G5WW

Serial:  SR106918H

GE Manufacturer Part Number WH12X10338 Timer
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 9:04am
checked LOCAL repair shops ??
New it's $220 +13% taxes up here

check 'for sale or free' ads !
I paid $150 for WORKING washer and dryer 3 years ago(washer tranny shot....) Dryer is a 'hot spare' in wife's basement shop.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 9:35am
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

MODEL #?
SERIAL #?

Model:  VLSR1090G5WW

Serial:  SR106918H

GE Manufacturer Part Number WH12X10338 Timer
Try Sears Parts Direct. Here is Sears weblink to part # WH12X10338 @ $124.47.   Sears Parts Direct offers Paypal as option too. Hope it all works out for you.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/3mrv7znkzi-0026-363/id-wh12x10338

Edited by AC7060IL - 07 Aug 2024 at 9:40am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 9:41am
This is an EBAY listing..........

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Aug 2024 at 9:42am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 1:25pm
for the extreme penny pinchers you can go down to the creek and beat your clothes on a rockLOL
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 10:18pm
ereplacementparts.com
I have ordered several obsolete parts from them over the years and always had good luck there. I look up what I think I need then call and talk to a real person to confirm what I'm looking at and the availability.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2024 at 2:27pm
Had similar problem with drier belt , seems out of stock everywhere , then ordered online , said shipped but never got it , was on credit card and they refunded .
 I bought a V belt , set up mill to cut V off to leave back bands only and it worked for 3 years - then broke but trying to duplicate the last one ended up not going well . 
 Ended up replacing both washer and drier - 
Old unit was Admiral brand 
  Before that had FRIGIDARE washer and drier - lasted 30 years - well did need some parts and talked to fellow who had repair shop - bought 3 washers from him for $30 and parts lasted during those 20 years of life .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2024 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Had similar problem with drier belt , 
 I bought a V belt , set up mill to cut V off to leave back bands only and it worked for 3 years - then broke but trying to duplicate the last one ended up not going well . .

I am guessing the dryer in question is long gone; but, your re-engineering a V-Belt got me to wondering if maybe a serpentine belt of the right length might work as is with no need for trimming.

Another option might possibly be a leather belt, feathered and sewn together.

Regardless of what it is; appliances - starters/alternators - radiators - mechanics - and especially good shoe cobblers and hat makers --- anyone with the knowledge and skills to fix things --- and the special tools that most of us don't have access to --- all these guys are locking the doors and quiting.

You ask any of them why and you will always get the same answers; you can't get parts - you can't fix this disposable junk they sell nowadays - people will throw away a good repairable item and replace it with cheap disposable junk because the junk is cheaper than paying someone to fix the good stuff.

There is a certain Tony Lama boot that I have been wearing for years and years and a couple years ago I found and bought up every pair left for sale in the world --- four pair.

Tony Lama would flip in his grave to know what they are putting his name on now.

A few years ago, you could walk in any hat shop, hand your John B. Stetson to the proprietor, and, while you sat and waited for a bit, he would block it and shape it and hand it back to you looking as good as new; today, I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a good hat man.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 1:31am
Four years ago, we had our laundry washing machine fail for the 3rd time for the same 'inverter board'... it's a variably frequency drive unit...  and they're known to be failure points for every related model.

After some patient 'discussion'... I got my wife to stop by an appliance place in town that sold Speed Queen.  She was very resistant because she didn't 'know the name', and furthermore, she didn't want anything with fancy electronics, just a knob to turn and pull.

She was surprised to find that the Speed Queen was actually that basic... and furthermore, tough and powerful.  Cost about 2.5x what any OTHER machine cost, and she was skeptical about that...

But when she started it for the first time, and 15 minutes later, it went BUZZ, and was full of clean clothes, she was sold.

Yep, old fashioned timer. 

Perhaps a Speed Queen timer will work in yours??
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 10:17am
The first set of washer/dryer(Amana) my wife and I bought(1985) lasted thru 3 house moves, and a replacement bearing/seal on the wash tub. A year before we moved from WI to TX, the dryer finally gave out, we replaced, but decided to include the washer/dryer and the refrigerator included in the house sale.
We knew when we would get here, new appliances were on order. One thing that is different here(TX), nobody sells a house with the refrigerator included, everybody takes the refrigerator with them when they move out. We asked our realtor about this, and she said; in the South a refrigerator is like a member of the family, you do not leave it behind.
One other thing in the South, as opposed to the Midwest, it was always a given that ‘occupied houses’ sell better in the North. Here in the South, realtors implore that the house be totally empty before listing for sale.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 10 Aug 2024 at 10:18am
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 10:47am
Buckskin, just wondering ~ what direction / decision did you go with for your washing machine repair?  Hoping you located a good timer.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 11:08pm
Around here there are a couple appliance recyclers that deal in scrap units removal , they also sell parts the scavenge from units and resell those . 
 Finding a independent repair shop is also a option . 
Refrigerator quit , checked with outfit it was bought from - said $125 for a service call , but when i told them what the problem was and code on board - said they would have to charge service call to check , then order part and another call bill to replace it . 
 Found the board online - 1/2 price of what they wanted if I bought it from them .Fixed it myself    
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic