This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7060 Fuel Sender wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7060 Fuel Sender wiring
    Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 9:32am
So, I had a fire in my baler previously

burned some wires off my baler harness, so I rebuilt that harness from the plug back

BUT during the excitement, the fire had spread to the back of the 7060, on top of the hydraulic housing area and moving under the cab

We got it out, but not before it burned some wires.   I jerryrigged some to get going again... but others I didn't, as I couldn't reach them, and read I'd need to lift the cab to do so.

Well, fast forward to today, and with my range/park cable issues, I had finally removed the floor in the cab to gain access, and LO! I can see a lot of wiring, AND the area of most damage.

the biggest issue right now, is the build up of dirt/grime/**** on top of the transmission/rear end housing.

I'm going to use my garden hose (which produces a LOT of pressure) to wash that area out after baling season, and if needed, I'll use a pressure washer.

I am a bit worried about the boot over the Range/Park shift vertical shaft, as I don't want to flood the transmission with water, so I'll have to be really careful there

once I get it cleaned, I'll start tracing/replacing wires

Now, for my first question:

what wire gauge is used on the fuel sender?  mine quit, and I'm thinking it is the ground, BUT I can't follow the sensing wire to the dash, so it "May" be damaged.
IF I need to replace that, is it special?  
Or can I just use a specific gauge of wire for the Line and Ground?

Thanks
AC7060Pd 1975
Sponsored Links

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 12:55pm
The wiring is nothing special, just get some that matches what you already have. An owners manual would help alot on the wiring. There's a wiring diagram in the back.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 1:29pm
I have a manual somewhere....   it got misplaced with my basement flooded.  

I'll have to track it down.

the online parts schematic has the wiring/colour codes, but not gauges.

if I can use a standard 14ga, that'll work for me. 

is there a source for all the wiring gauges?  I may have a few circuits to rebuild.
I can find the colour codes, but at a loss for the rest.

Thanks 
AC7060Pd 1975
I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 6:36pm
14 gauge is overkill. It's a fuel gauge, not a flood light or heater element. 18 gauge wire is plenty big enough. 21st century tractors get by with miles of 20 and 22 gauge wires for nearly everything. (Not that they're all that great, just making the point)
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 9:47pm
Thanks I.M.Fedup

the reason I was thinking 14ga, was the wire does appear to be a bit stout, AND I assumed resistance plays a part in the accuracy of the gauge.

I guess the best way is to try one, and see what 1/2 tank of fuel reads.
AC7060Pd 1975
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 12:33pm
To test the wiring on the sending unit you could ground the “power wire”.
Just pull the wire off and touch it to a good ground while looking at the gauge, if I’m thinking right it should go to EMPTY when unhooked and FULL when grounded.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 10:21pm
55Allis
You are referring to the wire on the sending unit?
Disconnect and ground it should drop my gauge to E

Currently my gauge sits just above E, about 1/3 the way to the 1/4 mark
Making me think it may be grounded
But first, I need to ensure the sending unit is properly grounded

I have a couple weeks to play with this as I am done haying, and harvest isn’t for another 2-3 weeks
AC7060Pd 1975
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 11:28pm
Yes Nanuk, that’s what I mean except it should go to full grounded( I did some research).
Also try to check the connection on the gauge it’s self.
If you look down the tank fill neck how much can you see?
Stick a wire or something in the fill hole and figure how much is in it.

Edited by 55allis - 05 Aug 2024 at 11:29pm
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 10:10am
55Allis, thanks, that's great info.

I will check in the upcoming days.
I'll try to trace all my wiring from sender to gauge, checking continuity.

Then I will ground it out, and check the gauge.

I have a piece of wood that I dip my tank with, so I have a pretty good idea how much is in there.
When I filled to the top, the gauge didn't move.

It makes sense that it is stuck on (almost) E if the wire has the insulation burned off and is grounding out in the grime/dirt under the cab.

I did run the tank dry once this summer, and the gauge did not move at all.

I sure would like to have a working fuel gauge!

Thanks for the help.
I hope to be able to get to this by the weekend.
AC7060Pd 1975
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 10:16am
Sending units usually use 18 ga. or 16 ga. wire depending on the length. If its a long run from the gauge to the sender, use 16 gauge. If its under 3 foot, 18 is fine.....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2024 at 1:03pm
Thanks Steve

I will keep that in mind when going through this
AC7060Pd 1975
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic