This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GMC Canyon Diesel:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GMC Canyon Diesel:
    Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 6:35am
Looking at one of these seriously. It is a 2017 and very clean but I don't have any experience around the engine used in these at all. 

Not interested in drama, but asking for any direct experience; good, or bad.

Thanks, 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 8:36pm
I have had no direct experience with the 2015-2022 GM 2.8 duramax 4 cylinder Turbo diesel. GM discontinued it though.
I have read that early versions(2016-2018) could have injector issues that could ruin engine? GM upgraded injectors & a corresponding head in 2019. And no, the 2019 injectors will not fit 2016-2018 engine heads. To my understanding, GM never offered any recalls or dealership bulletins.

I did have some experience with a friends 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel~predecessor of the 2.8 Duramax. It had a “no start” issue that did not produce ANY fault codes. We never got it to run. He traded it & never looked back.

FWIW, here is copy of Wikipedia History listed about them.

GM purchased a 50% stake in VM Motori from Penske Automotive in 2007. In 2010, VM released the A 428 (four-cylinder, 2.8 L displacement), developed from the earlier R 428, which was sold in North America briefly as an optional engine for the Jeep Liberty for the 2005 and 2006 model years. Fiat acquired the other half of VM from Penske in 2011 and purchased GM's share in 2013; as part of the sale, GM retained the rights to build engines that had been developed during its ownership, including the A 428.[2]
In 2011, GM completed a new engine plant in Rayong, Thailand, commencing production in September of the R 425 and A 428 as Duramax XLD25 and XLD28, respectively, for the Chevrolet Colorado and Trailblazer sold in southeast Asia and, under the Holden marque, in Oceania.[3][4] In 2013, these engines were updated as the Duramax LKH (2.5L) and LWH (2.8L), improving output and fuel consumption.[5][6]
The Rayong plant began producing the 2.8L Duramax I4 LWN starting in 2015, modified to meet emissions regulations in the United States.[2][7]

Edited by AC7060IL - 05 Aug 2024 at 8:46pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 9:08pm
Thanks kindly for your input. I spoke extensively with a GMC dealership mechanic in Morton, IL that kinda specializes in the "Duramax" series of engines and a gent working at River City Diesel outside of Peoria today. Both tell  me there were pretty reliable overall but most at about the 150K mark started to see emissions problems cropping up. These usually push about $2K to clear and make the vehicle usable again. Also not really a good candidate to "uprate" citing costs involved.

Basically both stated that unless a diesel is "needed", it was probably best to pass. The mileage difference is only about 5mpg difference, (diesel vs gasoline) and with the additional costs of routine maintenance, it just is not a feasible option that is cost effective in their opinions.

Thanks again and I'm going to let this one go although is sure seems right for me to replace my 315,000 mile Nissan Altima I drive routinely. With this car so high in accumulated mileage, and my Dodge one ton beyond repair with a rusted/busted frame, (again) at 300K in mileage, the little truck seems a good fit to replace both. I like that platform and will keep looking for a V6 gasoline powered variant.    
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 11:43am
Codger, you’re welcome. For you & other forum members that may have interest, Not endorsing this youtube channel. I cut out the sound while I watch it. But, I do enjoy watching how different manufacturer's engine survive, don't survive, have lack of maintenance, etc. So if you have a spare 32 minutes, maybe check out this video of a teardown of a Duramax 2.8L diesel engine.

Edited by AC7060IL - 06 Aug 2024 at 1:39pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 5:34pm
Boy, sometimes the luck. Today a customer gave me an engine for the 2004  Chevy Trailblazer another customer gave me a couple of years ago when the engine started knocking. Trailblazer was garage kept since new and is very clean but high miles. A tree fell on the donor engine vehicle which is also a 2004 and 4X4, so will be an easy swap. I'll drive it a few months and donate it to my granddaughter for a starter vehicle when she receives her "learner's permit" in 2025. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2024 at 6:50am
Gent brought the donor engine to the shop yesterday afternoon. Even let me have the new engine stand it was mounted onto:

I know it's a harbor freight engine stand but it does work, and rolls easily on the shop floor. According to the engine tag from the salvage yard and receipt for the purchase, the engine has 79,000 miles, ran well, and is complete except for ancillary components. All wiring was chopped at the connector(s) and not unplugged.

Gent tells me his wife was driving their Trailblazer and the engine oil pressure went to zero, the engine started knocking, and before getting pulled out of traffic and to the side of the road, locked up. Having the vehicle towed home and initial investigation was the oil pump drive went bad, (known problem I'm told) and this engine was sourced. The next weekend a powerful storm blew a tree over onto the parked Trailblazer pretty much finishing it off. The vendor would not take the engine back without a significant surcharge, which brings it here.

I've taken care of his wife's family's vehicles for several years. Kind of nice to be remembered sometimes. This engine will make one of my two granddaughter's very happy as my Trailblazer really is worth an engine replacement, and will be a great starter car this next year.

I'll drive it till locating a pickup, or getting my old B-61 Mack back operational for light to medium duty truck needs. First time in over 40 years I've not had something with at least a receiver hitch to tow with. Had to borrow son in law's pickup yesterday to deliver two zero turn mowers, and bring in another. Seems the owner got into something in the yard puncturing the fuel tank. I'll get this cleaned up and repaired later today and send it back. Haven't used the plastic welder setup in quite a spell so will be a nice exercise for it:

Edited by Codger - 09 Aug 2024 at 6:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic