This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Engine?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:20am
How long after an engine rebuild before I can crank engine by hand? I have run it several hours and still will not crank. It will start with a 12 volt battery. I have checked the bearings and they seem fine.
Thank You for any replies.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:27am
I guess it all depends on the quality and precision of the person that did the rebuilding. All of the stock CA engines I have done since the 60s I have been able to hand crank them to start them right from the beginning. However the extremely hi compression pulling engines I have built, I'd never want to hand crank them.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Knute View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 2:30pm
He is not a professional but has done quite a bit of that work. Did install thinner sleeves and oversize pistons and rings which I guess would up the compression somewhat.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 4:40pm
I just rebuilt my CA (with my brother).  It is a little stiff, a hard pull for the starter unless the battery is at full charge, but it is loosening up a bit after the oil pressure problem was fixed and its run a bit.  It's a little hard to hand crank, but doable.  Some of the problem may be timing as I haven't had time to properly time it yet.  At first, the starter was only able to pass one compression stroke but its now better able to turn it over after only an hour or so of run time.  

Edit:  per the plastiguage, everything was in spec.  we took it back to the machine shop at least twice because it wasn't and we were not going to put it together until it was in spec.

Edited by dfwallis - 04 Aug 2024 at 8:14pm
1952 CA13092
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 7:02pm
From my experience, if one of these small engines is too hard to hand start just after an overhaul the crank bearings do not have proper clearance. or the crank is slightly out of round, possible the main caps are not correctly aligned as they do not have indexing flats where they fit to the block. 
 Short version: If you can't hand crank it, you have an issue. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 9:08pm
you can have 2 thousands clearance on the main bearings and it could still be HARD to rotate... These blocks can warp slightly and the bearing may not be in line... That is why blocks are LINE BORED.. to get back to size.. Sometimes you have to put an extra thousand clearance on one of the bearings to make up for the WARP..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 6:31am
I have seen a few where the wrist pins rub the liners.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

you can have 2 thousands clearance on the main bearings and it could still be HARD to rotate... These blocks can warp slightly and the bearing may not be in line...

That was my first thought too.
When the crankshaft is first installed and the mains torqued, it had better turn freely.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 10:26pm
i had trouble with a rope rear main on a 9n engine about a year ago would lock the engine up when tightened down it caused alot messing around before i got it right  i think i mic.ed the crank three times to make sure i had the bearings right the second genuine ford rope seal finally worked after two after market ones also
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic