This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7030 shift/clutch trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simona5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7030 shift/clutch trouble
    Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 8:51pm
Hi, I have a 7030 power director. It won't go into gear when I start it in the cold. If I leave it in the heated shop or leave it outside in the summer, it will go into gear like it should. Length of time sitting doesnt seem to matter, just temp. I can shut it off, put it in gear, start it, and go. After running it a while, it will work properly but I want it to work properly right away. Is there a bad seal in clutch valve? I would love to get pointed in the right direction so I can fix it. Thank you
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 9:40pm
First thing I'd check is clutch cable adjustment
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:05am
Which shift, 5 spd or Hi/Lo Ranges or the hi/lo PD floor buttons? 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:16am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

First thing I'd check is clutch cable adjustment
X2
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:17am
Ive never had a power director in the 7 or 8000 series
All mine have been power shifts but i think the same principle applies to both. Theres a procedure in the service manual to adjust the trans brake. I start at the beginning and do every step. They work flawlessly
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:20am
One important thing to remember, once the transmission brake has been properly adjusted, it use to stop the transmission, not the whole tractor. Always bring the tractor to a complete stop, before engaging the transmission brake.
Simona5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simona5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:31pm
It does it with both shifters but not the floor shifter. I will look in the book on the adjustment. I was just thinking it was weird to only do it when its cold temperatures. I never stop the tractor with the trans brake. Kinda came out of nowhere. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:43pm
They always work better when warmed up. Still it should work cold. You are probably on the verge with adjustment.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 2:58pm
I have the operators manual

But not the service manual

Anyone have a link to one for the 7060 pre 2000 serial#?

I would sure like to be able to shift from a stop without grinding all the time
AC7060Pd 1975
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 7:43pm
What TRANSMISSION do you have ??  This issue has been discussed many times on this site. Probably the clutch cable or linkage adjustment if it is a POWER DIRECTOR transmission.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:12am
Hey Doc
1975 7060 with 20sp PD

I have recently had issues with the cable end on the transmission side being worn out and coming apart, but the problem preceded that.
I replaced temporarily with an aftermarket end

I will upgrade to the fully enclosed ball socket with through bolt if I can (newer?)

I have one that fits, but makes the cable too long
I will shorten it and try it again

I have the cable as short as I dare and pulled as far forward as the slots will allow, and still the transmission is spinning

I cannot at the moment reach the pedal end of the cable to shorten there

If it is more shortening of the cable, then I will measure my new end to the original and shorten it to that

The other option is to fight the pedal and shorten that end as much as I can.   That’ll give me play to adjust better at the transmission end.

AC7060Pd 1975
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:25am
There cannot be ANY freeplay in the clutch pedal with the engine OFF !!!    Get the correct parts and get that cable/linkage adjusted properly !! Replace the two bushings on the fork down low because one of them is always BROKEN. Spray WD40 on everything.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:48am
Bushings on the fork

I assume this is the unit that the cable end connects to, that pivots on the ‘J’ rod and into the hydraulic piston
What I can see in the parts schematic, i think I know what bushings you are referring to.

I did notice there is some skew play on that unit

Looks like I have a scavenger hunt coming.
I am not sure my local dealer can source those parts anymore.

There is about an inch of pedal travel before any resistance is felt (engine off)
AC7060Pd 1975
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:50am
ANY FREEPLAY gives you what you've got.............no transmission brake.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:59am
Thanks Doc

I think I know what I need to work on

I just hope I can get the parts to rebuild it.

AC7060Pd 1975
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 9:43am
Well, another stumbling block

None of those parts appear to be available in Canada (possibly one bushing was located…. Possibly)

AC7060Pd 1975
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 10:02am
Originally posted by nanuk nanuk wrote:

Well, another stumbling block

None of those parts appear to be available in Canada (possibly one bushing was located…. Possibly)

70269529 is the bushing I believe Doc is refering to.  Shows a bunch in stock in the warehouse in Batavia. 
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic