This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 160

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PollackPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me 160
    Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 6:38am
Just purchased a 1972 or 1973 Allis Chalmers 160.Looking for a rubber shifter boot.Seems kinda hard to find.Need a source for either a new one or suggestions for something that will be close to fitting.Also,is 10w30 motor oil the oil of choice for the tranny and hydraulics? I'm sure I will have more questions as I dig into this tractor.Suppose to have a blown head gasket.Common problem??Thanks for any and all info. 
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 7:23pm
I run Chevron THF in the transmission of my 160. Good little tractors but can be frustrating.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 7:35pm
Find yourself an operators manual. It will have almost all the information you will ever need. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 6:20am
I purchased my shifter boot from SLI in Pa. Close to $100. They tend to tear due to the shift cover fingers being bent down too far. I used a pair of channel locks and gently grabbed each ear and bent them up some. Solved the problem. I use Fram 821 UTF from Carquest in my transmission/hydraulic system. The 160 is a handy 40 hp tractor, some parts are difficult to find but I've been lucky so far. Takes a little more searching than my other AC's due to their low production. The Perkins is great on fuel economy. Foot throttle is very handy and it blows my mind they were not utilized on other models. I had  my engine completely rebuilt 2 years ago around 7640 hours due to a blown head gasket. The head was decked and completely rebuilt. New pistons, sleeves, rings, oil pump, cam, and the list goes on and on lol. Money well spent. It starts easy in cold weather. Good luck, I think you will like it once you get it running. Don't just throw a head gasket on it, have the head checked out or your wasting your time and money.

Edited by AC720Man - 09 Jul 2024 at 6:32am
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
PollackPete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PollackPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:51pm
Thank you AC720Man for the info.Had to look up what SLI meant.Finally found it and got their phone number.Will call tomorrow.Yes,I will not just throw a head gasket on and hope for the best.I will take the head to our local NAPA machine shop to have it checked out.They'll check gasket surface for trueness,check for cracks,probably want to do a valve job.I wont be getting to this project until Winter time.Busy right now.As far as hydro and tranny fluid,I'll probably use the premium fluid from Tractor Supply.I buy LOTS of it for my other 40 plus farm tractors.I'm addicted!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 8:49am
40 plus! Wow, how many are AC’s? Brenda is an incredible parts person. She will help you find what you’re looking for if she doesn’t have it. But she has a lot of items in stock, always amazes me of how many parts she has in stock for these old AC tractors. Is yours a One Sixty or a 160? Early model versus later model.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PollackPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 6:07pm
Only five are Allis Chalmers.Got one WC,three WD,and now the 160.Says 160 on the hood,but one sixty on data plate.Most others in my collection are Ford with a couple Ferguson,Massey Ferguson,Case,David Brown,Oliver,even a Minneapolis Moline and a few Fordson Diesels thrown in.Gotta admit,I really enjoy fooling with old iron.Keeps me out of trouble.At least most of the time!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 10:26pm
They both will say One Sixty on the name plate but the early letter tractor One-Sixty had the hydraulic filter down near the hydraulic levers. The 160 filter is in the transmission housing near the right side of the seat. Thats the easiest way to determine which model you have. If the tractor has a repaint some one could have changed the decals so those are a few things to check.
Congratulations, neat tractor

Edited by AC720Man - 11 Jul 2024 at 10:26pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PollackPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 5:09am
Mine has the filter to the right of the seat.I guess under the four bolt square plate? The other filter up near the radiator.Must make it a 160,I guess.Checked SLI yesterday.No shifter boots left in captivity.She said she shipped the last one just last week.Going to try and find something else that I can adapt.Got a small boot coming from Amazon that looks like it may work.From a Volkswagen,I guess.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 8:36am
I just noticed you’re just about a neighbor. We’re down near Albany 
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 9:25am
Yes the filter is under the square plate. Highly recommend removing it and cleaning it. Be gentle with it as it’s made of plastic and are unfortunately NLA. It’s a fine mesh so it does a good job of collecting debris. If it’s dirty that will affect the hydraulic lift arms and remotes. Make sure you keep the fluids at full on the dipstick. That’s the plug that a 3/8’ socket wrench fits in. They are known to get air in the system after oil changes and when cleaning the filter. I install a 4’ hose in a remote and the other end in a clean container. Start the tractor and have someone operate the hydraulic lever back and forth until the air is gone a good stream of oil come out. Repeat for all remotes. Doesn’t take much to clear the system. Operate 3 pt arms to make sure they operate. Shut off the tractor and top of the hydraulic fluid after it sits for 15 minutes and your done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic