This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8010 engine oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8010 engine oil pressure
    Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 7:23pm
I think the oil pressure on my 8010 is too low. Only about 6 psi at idle, goes to about 16 at 1000 rpm, and 36 at wot. These are with the engine at the upper end of the operating temperature range. The engine is also rattles considerably for a few seconds on startup. I think it has about 2500 hours since the last rebuild but I am sure it has the original oil pump in it. Anyone know what the pressure range should be?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 7:47pm
35 to 55psi wide open and hot. Take pressure test from main oil galley along the right side of the block where the oil pressure sender is. I think you have issues.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 8:14pm
I took out the sender and put in a gauge. Shut the tractor down for an hour or so and checked again. About 16 at idle about 44 at wide open throttle. The engine had cooled down to the lower end of the operating range.This tractor has always had a rattley sounding engine even when new. I had always assumed that was normal but it is definitely getting worse. Has 17596 hrs on the clock so who knows but I would like to keep it going for a few more years.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 8:25pm
Actual idle speed should be 750 to 800 RPM and are you using 15W-40 oil ??   On a cold summer time start-up I would expect 55+ oil pressure at full throttle and then come down as the engine warms up.  If you have 55+ psi cold at full throttle and it eventually falls to that 35 psi number at full throttle when hot, I'd say you are borderline on the oil pressure thing. Might drop the pan and see if the gasket between the oil pump sections has blown out.

Edited by DrAllis - 10 Jul 2024 at 8:57pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 9:41pm
Don’t wanna start an ‘oil thread’, but what brand & weight of motor oil are you currently using?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 9:11am
Okay so I started the tractor this morning and it has 34 psi cold idle and 44 psi wide open. Idle speed is a bit low, tach reads 800 rpm but it sounds/feels more like 700. Not sure what is off but the tractor is hard to start if the throttle is open too far, especially in cold weather.The oil is coop dmo 15w40.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 9:37am
If it was mine, I'd try to get to 55 or 60 psi on that cold wide open test. Oil pressure regulator is just to the rear of the injection pump, on the block, a vertical hex plug with lots of threads takes a 3/4" wrench. Try a couple of turns "in" and see what happens, remembering the longer you run it the hotter the oil gets making this number start to fade away.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 4:29pm
Worn cam bearings can definitely affect oil pressure.  Hard starting at higher throttle is rather confusing given the manual says to set the engine at full throttle when starting in cold weather.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 4:51pm
Cam bearings on the 301/2000 series engines are not pressure lubed. They are gravity oiled from rocker arm oil returning to the oil sump.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 8:16pm
Turning the plug in 2 turns brought the pressure right up to 60 psi cold at full throttle. Not sure I should call it cold as it was 34 Celsius out. Anyway it worked, thanks Dr.

A little background on the hard starting. We had the original fuel pump rebuilt once and starting was OK, not good. The second time it was replaced with an Ambac pump and it has never run or started the same. Even after the Ambac was replaced with a second. If you open the throttle to start it when it's cold out it will fire and die over and over. It will blow black smoke but not stay running even if you keep holding the key in hopes that it will. It is like it is getting too much fuel and it chokes itself.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 8:21am
I'm no expert on injection systems but my M100 Ambach on an 8070 starts cold great when throttle is open. Can't be part throttle. It would seem that your pump isn't set correctly to act like that.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 2:01pm
We had 3 8070s and they all started pretty good from what I can remember. The last one was traded off 25 years ago. The pump that is on the 8010 right now was already sent back to the manufacturer once as the local injection shop couldn't find anything wrong with it when they bench tested it. Ambac tested it and they also could find nothing wrong with it. I played around with the timing and nothing seemed to make a difference. I also checked to make sure the valve timing was correct and hadn't been messed up somehow during the overhaul. Should add that the injectors have been tested/rebuilt so they are not likely the cause. I have no doubt that there is something wrong with the pump. Engine also does other abnormal things such as a flutter in the engine occasionally. Sometimes when I open the throttle on the road it will roll coal like a pulling tractor and has way more power than normal. Other times it does not smoke at all. At this point I am just happy it keeps doing what I need it to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic